Rumor: Travis Konecny contract

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Another bridge contract? It would be bad for us..

Give him 6x6...
Agreed. 4.5 looking up at a 6-7 year afterwards is doable, however, would rather lock him up long term.

6X6 is a bit much. While his play will most certainly get better and has the intangibles GMs desire, I thought 6X5 would’ve been fair.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Agreed. 4.5 looking up at a 6-7 year afterwards is doable, however, would rather lock him up long term.

6X6 is a bit much. While his play will most certainly get better and has the intangibles GMs desire, I thought 6X5 would’ve been fair.
Konecny will be +60pts winger. He is TOP6 winger already now. I wouldn't any problem with 6M per year. But still, priority should be lock him to 6 years at least.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Maybe eliminate the Dec 1st deadline, basically if you're not there for game 1, you're out the year.
Yea something like that. Or change the first RFA year to an auto-renew at 110% of the previous years salary if a player has not signed by the start of camp.

To get the players to go for this the player would get arb rights every subsequent year.

At least then you're guaranteed a resolution. Sign an offer sheet, go to arb, sign a long term deal, whatever, just get it done.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Yea something like that. Or change the first RFA year to an auto-renew at 110% of the previous years salary if a player has not signed by the start of camp.

To get the players to go for this the player would get arb rights every subsequent year.

At least then you're guaranteed a resolution. Sign an offer sheet, go to arb, sign a long term deal, whatever, just get it done.
That would be hilariously bad for the players. Team would just refuse to negotiate with the players so they could squeeze another ~league minimum year out of their players.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

At the very least, it would have to be an x% increase on cap hit, not salary. Accounting for the bonuses at least makes it slightly more player friendly.

I havent fully thought it through yet, but some sort of mandatory arbitration could be put in place. Team can choose the length (up to x amount of years), but if they go two years or under, the player becomes a UFA at end, or something to that effect. Maybe an 'earlier' negotiation period for these players as they become a new classification of RFA or they are under a different offer sheet schedule.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
At the very least, it would have to be an x% increase on cap hit, not salary. Accounting for the bonuses at least makes it slightly more player friendly.

I havent fully thought it through yet, but some sort of mandatory arbitration could be put in place. Team can choose the length (up to x amount of years), but if they go two years or under, the player becomes a UFA at end, or something to that effect. Maybe an 'earlier' negotiation period for these players as they become a new classification of RFA or they are under a different offer sheet schedule.
I feel like mandatory arbitration would be a far more fair system than anything that is based on a percent increase on ELC cap-hits.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I like just focusing on the end date being the end of the summer, I feel like if both sides are to stupid to get a deal done by the start of the season, too bad, they had all summer.

Reactions: nofehr

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
The bigger news is nobody wants to sign (RFA's). Its getting silly at this point.

It most certainly is. And the worst part of it all is that most of these players already know approximately what they're going to end up signing for in the end. It's just a long term game of chicken right now to squeeze out an extra couple hundred thousand a year. But is that couple hundred thousand a year really worth all the negatives that come with this sort of lengthy holdout? They can say all they want that they just leave that part of the business up to their agent, but you know it's gotta be stressful for them constantly reading all the fan hate. Not to mention whatever time they miss, even if it's just training camp, almost always has a negative impact on the upcoming season.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Flyers are very much bound for cap problems. It'll be interesting next off-season to see what they do with Nolan Patrick.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

As fans we may like this, but the Player's Union/NHLPA would shut that down before it's even drafted. The whole 'RFA' aspect is to give young players leverage in contract negotiations. Teams could wait out their good RFAs for 1 year cheap labor until UFA hits when the real money comes into play/arbitration period. Still, no matter how wide the spread between the negotiations are, the arbitrator will likely meet towards the middle. This proposal denounces any stance the players have... which spells lockout.

That, also, deleverages the players and adds more leverage to the GMs which is what the NHL is seemingly moving away form; giving back to the players. Even if they have arbitration rights, the only ones that would really benefit from this are the players that excel.

Just my opinion.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I prefer deals that end up becoming steals. Bridge deals that go badly price you out later.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers are very much bound for cap problems. It'll be interesting next off-season to see what they do with Nolan Patrick.

In the long term, we're really not, though. Even if Patrick has a good year, the most he'll take up is Braun's money that's coming off the books next year. The year after, we're likely losing one of the D (Ghost as a guess, unfortunately) in the ED, or were paying someone to take JVR.

We have in house replacements for both coming, and the timeline matches up fairly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad