Travis Green Appreciation Thread

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The ever supportive Green has done a good job of supporting his players.

Travis Green's system getting exposed hard tonight. Can't win with a system that gives is bottom 10 in possession.

This is an appreciation thread. You should know better.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
This team could come back and win this series and people would still be complaining about Green.

The offence and defence are horrendous. Markstrom (“the only reason the Canucks are in the playoffs”) isn’t even playing. And Green still has his team steal another one away from a Stanley cup contending Vegas Knights team.

“Oh, but his system sucks!”

Yea? So do his players..

Ever wonder why they aren’t a puck possession team? Because they only have two puck possession players.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd only fire Green if a better coach like Gallant or Lavilolette would come here. I'd take Green over another mystery box for now though.

It's hard to pin down Green. He's not a dinosaur but likes his grinders who likes guys he can trust on the PK. So Tyler Motte can lead all forwards in ice time in a playoff game. He's not an especially young coach but he's an effective communicator who seems to be a player's coach. He has clearly not lost the room (then again, we've been pretty lucky here over the years, our guys don't quit).

He's not really a systems / X&O guy. He preaches two way play but doesn't seem to hold back his offensive players. I wouldn't even say he's detail oriented. His strategy seems to be just go out there, compete compete compete, and win.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'm still not a fan (can somebody, ANYBODY teach this coaching crew how to execute a freakin' line change?) but I'll tell ya what; if it is Green that has convinced this team that diving is NOT the way to get calls then I recant everything. Literally every player that I have suspected of falling into the slippery diving habit has ceased to do anything that I would call a dive in this playoff. Don't think the refs don't notice and reward teams for it. For the first time in over a decade I'm happy in this regard...

Reactions: calnuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Are we going to pretend that these wins have come because of Green's system?

Whatever system he is employing, has gotten Canucks 1 win away from the Western Conference Finals. Green absolutely gets the credit just as he would be getting the blame if Canucks are losing.

Reactions: m9

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not sure how the words "Green" and "System' co-exist in the same forum, let alone the same thread.

Like matter and anti-matter, you expect a quick death-spiral until they collide and annihilate each other in a massive explosion.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Whatever system he is employing, has gotten Canucks 1 win away from the Western Conference Finals. Green absolutely gets the credit just as he would be getting the blame if Canucks are losing.
You can critique a coach while they are winning too. Roy, Hartley, Boucher, all these guys had success in 1 season and completely flunked out a year later.
Canucks are controlling 40% of shot attempts, 39% of scoring chances, 41% high danger scoring chances, and a 36% xGF%. It's absolutely absurd how hard they have been outplayed 5 on 5.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Are we going to pretend that these wins have come because of Green's system?

Well, they’re content to sit back and PK for 50~ minutes if the game now. Not sure that’s a conscious decision, but if it is, the execution is certainly not Wild-esque.

It may just be that: A thought without the strategy to underpin it. Giving up double the amount of shots is highly suspect in any case.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
You can critique a coach while they are winning too. Roy, Hartley, Boucher, all these guys had success in 1 season and completely flunked out a year later.
Canucks are controlling 40% of shot attempts, 39% of scoring chances, 41% high danger scoring chances, and a 36% xGF%. It's absolutely absurd how hard they have been outplayed 5 on 5.

There is a game played on ice and a game played on paper, you can choose which one you want to root for.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I'd credit the wins to Demko and his .990 save percentage. When we don't get elite goaltending our defence gets exposed. Even if Demko posted a 0.920 save percentage( which is still really good) we would of lost those games. I'm happy we won, but we can't count on goaltending like that indefinately.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So I guess we found out Green's system IS relying on the goalie to win you games, afterall. Canucks go down 1-0 and then play really good hockey after that...why? Why were they not playing that way to begin with?

Reactions: David71 and calnuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's made it further then 26 other coaches. I don't really have an issue with him to be honest. I don't see a huge problem losing to a cup contender of course the last 3 games team was badly out played, but I doubt it had to do with our coaching system. again if green is gone so show 25 other coaches who weren't even in the same position as us. I think it has to do with finding the right players, Green's club had no business being in a 7th game round 2 and I firmly believe we would have handled dallas much better.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I don’t put this loss on Green.

Canucks were punching waaay above their weight. VGK on paper is a superior team, the fact that it went to 7 games tied through 2 periods Would be an indication that we got the most out of an inferior roster, no?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
What appreciation...entire series no adjustments to neutral zone clogging, no timeouts in game 7, no proper line adjustments. I understand Vegas is a better team, but definitely not to the extent that was shown in games 5,6 and 7. Let’s face it coaching incompetency is a big reason we lost the series.

oetioaa

Feb 21, 2020
garbage coach along with noel brown, bumgartner. drop pass pp 2/30 wasting time instead of skate it in stupid

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Had some thoughts about our coaching which probably fits in this thread...

I thought Green coached scared for pretty much most of these playoffs and it was most evident in his lineup decisions:
  • Putting Eriksson in the top 6 only for him to eventually end up a healthy scratch
  • Overplaying a 4th line grinder he could trust in Motte at times alongside Horvat/EP
  • Not riding the top 6 enough when we were failing to generate any zone time or pressure
  • Using Beagle as the 3C despite being probably our worst forward
  • Taking Gaudette out of the lineup until the need for change was absolutely obvious
  • Limiting Roussel to 8 mins/game despite generally driving play
  • Not giving Virtanen more ice-time even though he's one of our best forwards in controlling shot share
Almost every time Green had a choice between utilizing a more skilled player with offensive upside versus going with someone who had lower upside but was supposedly more defensively responsible, he'd defer to the latter option. This tendency of "coach not to lose" was seen during the regular season, so it wasn't surprising to see it continue in the playoffs. As a result, this led to someone like JV being stuck in the bottom 6... thus continually getting underutilized to the detriment of this team. For all the things he's not - a PFW being chief among them - he is actually a big driver of puck possession on the Canucks. Obviously controlling possession was a problem all season long and in the playoffs, and especially against Vegas. When you combine the fact that Green chose to play worse players more (Beagle/Motte) over better players (Roussel/Gaudette/Virtanen)... he actually hampered his own ability to roll 4 lines by not going with his best lineup, which wore them out more - a self-inflicted double whammy. This sort of subpar coaching will never get you anywhere.

The forecheck was hard to watch since we generally lack footspeed up front already, so it's not helped when VAN oftentimes dumped the puck in with insufficient speed - which left more time for defenders to retrieve pucks without pressure from the F1. Another thing was that sometimes you'd see defenders shy away from the pinch even though there was a forward coming back to cover, which either shows a lack of willingness from the D to get involved or not enough emphasis from the coaches to be aggressive. Either way they needed to be more willing to attack because playing rope-a-dope certainly did not work out for them... Burke mentioned it too but I also thought another failing was that they didn't target VGK's right-side D-men enough on dump-ins especially with all the lefties they have back there.

On breakouts we needed a forward or two to come back even deeper to help support the puck. VGK is so well coached but especially in their forecheck, which gave us no time and space to make clean passes out of our end. As a result we were constantly either flipping it out or chipping it off the glass which nearly always ended up back in Vegas' possession... only for them to come right back in and start pressuring all over again. And rinse. And repeat.

And last but not least, for a club that has to cash in on special teams to make up for its 5v5 deficiencies... the PP coaching was frustrating to see:
  • Not using the bumper enough to facilitate passing plays
  • A lack of movement from the top unit which obviously failed to open up the VGK defenders
  • On entries the drop pass was annoying not in itself but because the trailer either never had enough speed through the N-zone or didn't follow the dropper close enough to allow for those quick lateral passes they always aim for. PP2 was better at this, thus were better at gaining the zone
  • An overreliance on left shots on PP1
  • Stubbornly putting Miller in the left circle who was almost never a shooting threat from there
That's some serious Small Dick Energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starships

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had some thoughts about our coaching which probably fits in this thread...

I thought Green coached scared for pretty much most of these playoffs and it was most evident in his lineup decisions:
  • Putting Eriksson in the top 6 only for him to eventually end up a healthy scratch
  • Overplaying a 4th line grinder he could trust in Motte at times alongside Horvat/EP
  • Not riding the top 6 enough when we were failing to generate any zone time or pressure
  • Using Beagle as the 3C despite being probably our worst forward
  • Taking Gaudette out of the lineup until the need for change was absolutely obvious
  • Limiting Roussel to 8 mins/game despite generally driving play
  • Not giving Virtanen more ice-time even though he's one of our best forwards in controlling shot share
Almost every time Green had a choice between utilizing a more skilled player with offensive upside versus going with someone who had lower upside but was supposedly more defensively responsible, he'd defer to the latter option. This tendency of "coach not to lose" was seen during the regular season, so it wasn't surprising to see it continue in the playoffs. As a result, this led to someone like JV being stuck in the bottom 6... thus continually getting underutilized to the detriment of this team. For all the things he's not - a PFW being chief among them - he is actually a big driver of puck possession on the Canucks. Obviously controlling possession was a problem all season long and in the playoffs, and especially against Vegas. When you combine the fact that Green chose to play worse players more (Beagle/Motte) over better players (Roussel/Gaudette/Virtanen)... he actually hampered his own ability to roll 4 lines by not going with his best lineup, which wore them out more - a self-inflicted double whammy. This sort of subpar coaching will never get you anywhere.

The forecheck was hard to watch since we generally lack footspeed up front already, so it's not helped when VAN oftentimes dumped the puck in with insufficient speed - which left more time for defenders to retrieve pucks without pressure from the F1. Another thing was that sometimes you'd see defenders shy away from the pinch even though there was a forward coming back to cover, which either shows a lack of willingness from the D to get involved or not enough emphasis from the coaches to be aggressive. Either way they needed to be more willing to attack because playing rope-a-dope certainly did not work out for them... Burke mentioned it too but I also thought another failing was that they didn't target VGK's right-side D-men enough on dump-ins especially with all the lefties they have back there.

On breakouts we needed a forward or two to come back even deeper to help support the puck. VGK is so well coached but especially in their forecheck, which gave us no time and space to make clean passes out of our end. As a result we were constantly either flipping it out or chipping it off the glass which nearly always ended up back in Vegas' possession... only for them to come right back in and start pressuring all over again. And rinse. And repeat.

And last but not least, for a club that has to cash in on special teams to make up for its 5v5 deficiencies... the PP coaching was frustrating to see:
  • Not using the bumper enough to facilitate passing plays
  • A lack of movement from the top unit which obviously failed to open up the VGK defenders
  • On entries the drop pass was annoying not in itself but because the trailer either never had enough speed through the N-zone or didn't follow the dropper close enough to allow for those quick lateral passes they always aim for. PP2 was better at this, thus were better at gaining the zone
  • An overreliance on left shots on PP1
  • Stubbornly putting Miller in the left circle who was almost never a shooting threat from there
That's some serious Small Dick Energy.

It's the same Travis Green we've always seen dating back to Utica. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

- a coach who coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win.
- a coach who will not take risks in the name of generating more offense.
- a coach who will not put non-elite young players in positions to succeed.
- a coach who will always default to overplaying bad veterans who seem like they have character and are working hard even if they're totally ineffective.

It's the same Travis Green who probably threw away a 2015 Calder Cup by refusing to play Virtanen/McCann/Hutton (3 guys good enough to play in the NHL a couple months later) while continuing to roll bad veterans, while watching the Manchester team that beat Utica insert Adrian Kempe (a 2014 pick taken after Virtanen and McCann) and he absolutely carved the Comets up.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Now that I've cooled down and sobered up, I can think clearly now.

I know Vegas is the better team, but we still should not get that out badly played in almost every game. Vegas was gaining our zone with little no resistance for the entire series, and then hem us in for long stretches. It was like they were on the PP for the entire game. And in the other end, Vegas was able to exit their zone way too easily.

I'm sorry, Travis is a good guy and all, but I think we need to look at getting a new coach. I've never really had a lot of confidence in Travis Greene, so this series loss seals the deal for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad