Travis Green Appreciation Thread

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
We're more than halfway through this season and the Canucks under Jim Elmer Benning are in a playoff spot. This a thing which should not be possible.

I don't see us talk much about the Head Coach Travis Green but I have been a fan of his as I've gotten to watch his effect on this team. While every head coach will make mistakes and make moves we disagree with. Travis Green has cobbled together a system that is oddly working and has us in a playoff spot 50 games in.

I don't care how you slice it, that is goddamned amazing.

Maybe I'm just delusional since we just came from the worst NHL coach of this generation in Willie Desjardins (go f*** yourself Willie) but I would like conversation about this. This is amazing and I really respect the work Travis Green is doing.

In a way, this is bad because none of us want a shitty first round exit and delusions of playoff success when this team should still rebuild for another year or two and coup de grace Benning as quickly as possible. But I can't help but admire the Titanic being lifted off the ocean floor here.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Overall I am good with Travis. I just want him to stop benching Goldy and ruining his confidence and trade value. It would be acceptable if he wasn’t inserting Schaller, a totally useless hockey player who doesn’t even belong in the NHL. That and his tough love approach doesn’t apply to a single veteran, no matter how brutal their play or effort level is.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
They’re only in a playoff race because the teams around them in the west are just as bad. They’re still only barely above fictional .500 with 5 more losses than wins, they’ve been very mediocre without Pettesson on the ice and relied on a very strong run from Markstrom to help them to get into this situation.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a ton this season to be convinced that Green is much more than an average coach, although he’ll probably get Jack Adams votes if they make the playoffs knowing how these things go.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

member 290103

Can we make a Travis Green Depreciation thread, like they used to do over at hockeybuzz?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am still not a fan of Green.

The four main forwards on the Pk Goes like Sutter Eriksson and then Beagle Granlund. Granlund should be off the PK. Not sure why he gets 16 mins of ice time

Green waited 46 games Into the season to switch Gudbranson and Stecher around. Stecher on the 2nd pairing and Gudbranson on the 3rd pairing. If that change was made earlier, Canucks might have a few extra points.

Goldobin being healthy scratch doesn't make any sense. Seem like Green is just looking at his weakness which is board battling and at times lack of effort. He is still 4th leading scorer on this time. One of the best passer, Petey Possesssion stats are the best with Goldobin. Goldobin was leading team in CF% back in December. When Goldobin is on the ice the team controls the play more. There is no stat at all that indicates that Goldobin is bad defensively and is a liability out there.

On 2nd pp unit. Not a fan of having 4 forwards. A few weeks there was a game whej Canucks allowed 2 shorthanded goals while the 2nd unit was on the ice. Forgot which team was that. I would put Stecher on 2nd unit with Hutton on the points.

All talk about Green is good at developing young players is just a mythe. Hardly any young player took there game to another level this year. Petey no matter who the coach is would have the same rookie year. This is coach that told Boeser you are not ready for the nhl and made Boeser a healthy scratch during the 2 games of last year.

Having Pouliot over MDZ made no sense.

People are giving Green too much credit for Virtanen. With Virtanen aside from being more reliable in his own end and bit better decision making. He is still the same Virtanen as last year. His ESP point pace this year is close to the same points total he had last year. Only different this year is that he get to have few empty new points ( 3) and ppp which is 2. 5 on 5 he on the same point pace as last year. I would give some blame to Green for developing Virtanen so slowly

He is an average coach at best.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Overall I am good with Travis. I just want him to stop benching Goldy and ruining his confidence and trade value. It would be acceptable if he wasn’t inserting Schaller, a totally useless hockey player who doesn’t even belong in the NHL. That and his tough love approach doesn’t apply to a single veteran, no matter how brutal their play or effort level is.
Really? Remember Del Zotto? Gagner? Schaller? Bs. Goldobin is pure garbage. I want his value propped up as well but green is coaching for the playoffs. Yes I know people don’t want this but his job is to win games

Reactions: tyhee

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
They’re only in a playoff race because the teams around them in the west are just as bad. They’re still only barely above fictional .500 with 5 more losses than wins, they’ve been very mediocre without Pettesson on the ice and relied on a very strong run from Markstrom to help them to get into this situation.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a ton this season to be convinced that Green is much more than an average coach, although he’ll probably get Jack Adams votes if they make the playoffs knowing how these things go.
They are on almost a 750 pace since they came out of their absolutely brutal November schedule. I know it's not acceptable to make excuses based on injuries and schedules but that was absolutely ridiculous - 2 weeks on an eastern road trip followed by home for 3 nights followed by right back on the road for almost a week.
And, if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that without the good players on the team they're not that good :sarcasm:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Really? Remember Del Zotto? Gagner? Schaller? Bs. Goldobin is pure garbage. I want his value propped up as well but green is coaching for the playoffs. Yes I know people don’t want this but his job is to win games

How is Tim Schaller helping win games?

Reactions: daddyohsix

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s done a good job keeping the team afloat with injuries to Tanev, Edler, Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi and most importantly EP.
Quite remarkable that they’re still in the hunt all things considered.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
How is Tim Schaller helping win games?
He isn’t, he sucks. They both suck but for different reasons. Schaller spend loads of time in the press box and he will be back there as soon as Goldobin can demonstrate he knows how to hustle and back check. He isn’t coming back until EP is on the ice as it’s pretty evident he can’t succeed without Elias

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He isn’t, he sucks. They both suck but for different reasons. Schaller spend loads of time in the press box and he will be back there as soon as Goldobin can demonstrate he knows how to hustle and back check. He isn’t coming back until EP is on the ice as it’s pretty evident he can’t succeed without Elias

Brock Boeser doesn’t hustle and back check or play well defensively.. Goldy needs to score plain and simple. If he has more goals Green can’t take him out of the line up and there is no discussion about his defensive play.

Reactions: geebaan

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He’s literally Willie D 2.0 but just not as bad.so that’s an upgrade I guess.

Still has pets
Still plays some players way too much
Uses some players in situations they should have no business being in
Sits young offensively talented players for trash

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Not to bag on Travis Green's coaching abilities or his character now, but do others recall Travis Green's former life as a player for the Maple Leafs?

Apparently he sided with that jerk Shayne Corson and his bro-in-law Darcy (F) f***er in the Leaf's locker room drama.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Brock Boeser doesn’t hustle and back check or play well defensively.. Goldy needs to score plain and simple. If he has more goals Green can’t take him out of the line up and there is no discussion about his defensive play.
Well that’s fair..but he doesn’t score, it’s that simple. Brock can score on any line. Goblin can’t produce unless he is stapled to Elias hip

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
He’s literally Willie D 2.0 but just not as bad.so that’s an upgrade I guess.

Still has pets
Still plays some players way too much
Uses some players in situations they should have no business being in
Sits young offensively talented players for trash
Was gonna say.. After the last two coaches we had, it's hard not to over-appreciate any upgrade.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Maybe I'm just delusional since we just came from the worst NHL coach of this generation in Willie Desjardins (go **** yourself Willie) but I would like conversation about this.

Maybe? More like most definitely. The hatred for Willie is extreme. What, did he sleep with your wife or something?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Best coach since AV, which was 5 years ago? AValso had his pets (Glass, Rome, Hordicuck, need i go on?). Certainly better at developing youth than Torts and Willy, also line matches better than both. Certainly has buy in from the players and has them playing the system well. Players also liked Willy but he was trash. So all in all, probably a mid tier NHL coach. COuld do better, could do (and have done a lot) worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, this needs to be put in context.

We’re 22-27. If we were in the East, we’d be 9 points out of the playoffs with the other teams having multiple games in hand. Any other year, we’d be way out in the West, too.

We’re only talking about this because it’s the single worst year for a conference under the current system.

Also we’re 10th in the West in points %, so ‘in the playoffs’ is stretching the truth a bit.

Basically we’re 5 points ahead of last year’s pace and we can thank #40 for that.

Green seems good at motivating players and getting the team to compete. His usage of players continues to be horrendous and limits his ability and success as a coach.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Best coach since AV, which was 5 years ago? AValso had his pets (Glass, Rome, Hordicuck, need i go on?).
Guy also was the coach on the Moose when guys like Bieksa, Kesler, and Burrows were getting their feet wet as professionals. Lest we forget Tanev, etc., on the Canucks. Sedins weren't Art Ross trophy winners before AV was hired. Considering how poor the drafting/amateur scouting was under Gillis, you have to put that into perspective as well in evaluating how good or bad AV was in developing players.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad