Travis Green Appreciation Thread

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think Green is probably the smartest guy in the Canucks organization, only person that seems very strategic in his thought process like Gillis and speaks very intelligently to the media. He's a great coach and absolutely gets some credit for turning this team around and showing significant progress after the Sedins retired.

edit: Isn't he also one of Gillis' hires when Green joined the organization.

Yes, he's a Gillis hire. 2013 offseason, not 2014.

Green is not a great coach, and I'm not sure why he would get the credit for "turning the team around"? Remember that Pettersson kid?

Reactions: timw33

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I do like Green. However I'd blindfold Nevin and Nolan in the Amazon and never look back.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
How every fanbase describes their coach.
No kidding, the same complaints you hear from guys here levying against Green are the same complaints you'd hear from Leafs fans baout Babcock, Hawks fans about Quennville, and Tampa fans about Cooper.

Every single coach in the NHL has their frustrating and mind boggling moments, but under Green, the way this team has been playing has been night and day from Desjardins. He can only do so much with the roster he has, and quite frankly, the roster isn't good.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Green is not a great coach, and I'm not sure why he would get the credit for "turning the team around"? Remember that Pettersson kid?

I would agree that we can't really call Green a great coach at the moment. There's too small a sample size.

Is he a bad coach though? I don't believe so. He has Pettersson, yes, but he has also put him in a position for Pettersson to prove himself in the center position rather than following the conventional wisdom of putting him on the wing.

For all the complaints over Schaller or Granlund in over Goldobin, I would like to see Goldy in fwiw, Green has played the roster he thinks gives him the best chance to win just like any coach.

He does also have other aspects to his job, like development in terms of his treatment of Hutton, Virtanen and now Goldobin, along with showcasing or trying to regain the form of bigger/tradable assets in Pouliot, Gudbranson, Eriksson even MDZ. Eriksson has been used pretty effectively by Green up and down the lineup, Gudbranson got a ton of leash but eventually played himself off the Hutton pairing, Pouliot established himself as a better option than MDZ who didn't play as much but didn't earn a spot this year either.

We've had Pettersson out for a decent stretch of games too and the team has remained competitive. With this roster, that's impressive.

So yeah, I think he can obviously be better, but he's not bad. Could easily be worse.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

This might be the first I say this. I agree with you 100%. Seem kind of strange me and you are on the same side in this argument.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like Green. There's going to be pros and cons with every coach but for the most part I like the job that he's doing. He seems relatively quick at making adjustments and his deployment of players reminds me more of AV's best days than Willie's. At the end of the day it's about results both in terms of player development and in the standings.

My expectations for a coach in terms of player development is simply not to ruin a prospect. If he can completely turn around a player's career then that's great, but I'll settle for not ruining a prospect. I know Goldy's name is going to be brought up here, but I don't think the issue here is a lack of opportunity or something Green did that ruined Goldy's confidence. I think there are things that Goldy's needs to work on to survive in the NHL and Green is demanding that from him. That's not to say that I agree or like Green's benching/scratching of Goldy. Overall, it seems Green is a good communicator and willing communicator.

Green is ultimately going to be judged by whether the Canucks make the playoffs and how well they do once they get there. It doesn't matter if a coach is great with young players or great with the X and Os if the team he coaches doesn't win. That's what it's all about.

So far this season, and when the team is relatively healthy, Green's team has found a way to win even when they don't deserve to. I think at least a part of that should be attributed to Green.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Green might be a great guy but I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate a coach who continues to put out his third or fourth line for the first shift in so many games while expecting his goalie to save him as his team gets outshot early in the game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Green might be a great guy but I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate a coach who continues to put out his third or fourth line for the first shift in so many games while expecting his goalie to save him as his team gets outshot early in the game.

I don't think the line a coach puts out there to start is an issue at all. Plenty of coaches like to start the game with their "energy line." It's to set the pace.

As for expecting this goalie to save him? The team gets outshot because the team isn't very good. There's not much Green can do about that. The team can do a better job of preventing shots but that would simply lead to a low scoring affair. The Canucks aren't doing that.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't think the line a coach puts out there to start is an issue at all. Plenty of coaches like to start the game with their "energy line." It's to set the pace.

As for expecting this goalie to save him? The team gets outshot because the team isn't very good. There's not much Green can do about that. The team can do a better job of preventing shots but that would simply lead to a low scoring affair. The Canucks aren't doing that.

Time to mix it up. Starting games with your checking line clearly isn't working to set the tone.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Time to mix it up. Starting games with your checking line clearly isn't working to set the tone.

That's based on what exactly? Last game they won and scored the first goal. Beat Buffalo and while Buffalo scored the first goal, the Canucks were up 2-1 after the first period. Against Edmonton we lost in the shootout but the first goal scored was a SHG. They beat Florida and scored the first goal.

I think Green is simply playing his matchups.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
That's based on what exactly? Last game they won and scored the first goal. Beat Buffalo and while Buffalo scored the first goal, the Canucks were up 2-1 after the first period. Against Edmonton we lost in the shootout but the first goal scored was a SHG. They beat Florida and scored the first goal.

I think Green is simply playing his matchups.

Based on what? Have you watched the last few games?

While playing bottom feeders at home in the softest part of their schedule, they have been thoroughly out shot and outplayed for the first 2 periods, having wins stolen by their goaltending only. They were dominated territorally by the lowly Detroit Red Wings. Probably not the pattern they want to continue when they play some good teams in the playoff run.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
The move to put petterson at centre off the bat is his crown jewel right now, considering he came in as a probable winger.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
It's weird. Last year at this time I made the comment that the Canucks wouldn't be in the position to be able to pick top 5 in this upcoming draft. That they would be in contention for a playoff spot. And I got laughed at. People claimed that this team was a last placed team.

Fast forward to today and the teams playing well enough defensively to possibly squeak in to the playoffs. Yet, people now say it's all because of Pettersson. How about giving credit to where credits due? Greens constructed this lineup in way where every line is defensively responsible. He gives each player a role, keeps players accountable, and has made this team hard to play against every game. Even though they're always up there in "man games lost" they make other teams have to play hard when they play against them. Very rarely does this team take games off.

His practices have known to be "hard" practices. He preaches work ethic and pushes the pace in games. He makes sure that his players are in game shape. And if they aren't, then he won't play them.

The best part of Green is his communication skills. He knows exactly what buttons to press and when to lay off the guys. When they aren't playing well, he lets them know. But when their confidence is low, he recognizes that and doesn't lay in to them.

I think the players like him too. He's open with them and tells it to them straight up. There hasn't been a time where a players been disgruntled with him or didn't like the way he conducted his business.

Seems like some posters are still hell bent over his usage of Hutton or McCann during the Calder Cup playoffs. Or that he puts in Gudbranson and Pouliot over guys like Stecher and Biega. But what coach has ever done what the majority of the fan base wanted? How do you even know those decisions lie solely on him? Or that there were underlying issues that haven't come to the forefront? Perhaps those players weren't ready at that particular moment. Or Green feels a particular player isn't a fit in the system he's created. No one truly knows the behind the scenes of the team.

Reminds me of when people on these boards were on Greens back when he didn't play Boeser in the beginning of the year, last year. And later on, after the season, we find out that Boeser just wasn't in game shape. (Which I think is why Green had benched Gaunce at the beginning of season for the same reason). This just goes to show that fans on these boards don't have a clue what's really going on.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's weird. Last year at this time I made the comment that the Canucks wouldn't be in the position to be able to pick top 5 in this upcoming draft. That they would be in contention for a playoff spot. And I got laughed at. People claimed that this team was a last placed team.

Fast forward to today and the teams playing well enough defensively to possibly squeak in to the playoffs. Yet, people now say it's all because of Pettersson. How about giving credit to where credits due? Greens constructed this lineup in way where every line is defensively responsible. He gives each player a role, keeps players accountable, and has made this team hard to play against every game. Even though they're always up there in "man games lost" they make other teams have to play hard when they play against them. Very rarely does this team take games off.

His practices have known to be "hard" practices. He preaches work ethic and pushes the pace in games. He makes sure that his players are in game shape. And if they aren't, then he won't play them.

The best part of Green is his communication skills. He knows exactly what buttons to press and when to lay off the guys. When they aren't playing well, he lets them know. But when their confidence is low, he recognizes that and doesn't lay in to them.

I think the players like him too. He's open with them and tells it to them straight up. There hasn't been a time where a players been disgruntled with him or didn't like the way he conducted his business.

Seems like some posters are still hell bent over his usage of Hutton or McCann during the Calder Cup playoffs. Or that he puts in Gudbranson and Pouliot over guys like Stecher and Biega. But what coach has ever done what the majority of the fan base wanted? How do you even know those decisions lie solely on him? Or that there were underlying issues that haven't come to the forefront? Perhaps those players weren't ready at that particular moment. Or Green feels a particular player isn't a fit in the system he's created. No one truly knows the behind the scenes of the team.

Reminds me of when people on these boards were on Greens back when he didn't play Boeser in the beginning of the year, last year. And later on, after the season, we find out that Boeser just wasn't in game shape. (Which I think is why Green had benched Gaunce at the beginning of season for the same reason). This just goes to show that fans on these boards don't have a clue what's really going on.

All coaches make some moves we as fans dont like, but at the end of the day we have a good, rising coach in Green. I agree with most of your points and think Green communicates well with his players and they like playing for him. He has them playing hard.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
He has some guys playing hard, some of the time. Brock Boeser is regularly not working or moving his feet on defence, at all. He mostly mailed it in while Pettersson was hurt, maybe because he was pouting? He seems to escape any criticism. Nobody who watches Loui Erickson play could possibly describe him as motivated or "playing hard." Jake Virtanen has gone back to sleep for the past month or so.

He seems like a thoroughly average (mediocre) NHL coach. So, a huge upgrade on his predecessor. And he's got a superstar player now. He's certainly smart enough to recognize the Canucks will go as far as Elias will carry them.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
He has some guys playing hard, some of the time. Brock Boeser is regularly not working or moving his feet on defence, at all. He mostly mailed it in while Pettersson was hurt, maybe because he was pouting? He seems to escape any criticism. Nobody who watches Loui Erickson play could possibly describe him as motivated or "playing hard." Jake Virtanen has gone back to sleep for the past month or so.

I think Boeser is just slow. Perhaps Boesers back is going to be an issue the whole season. What would you want a non-mediocre coach to do to get Boeser to play better? Besides get him to hire Horvats power skating coach. I haven't seen Boeser pouting either. i think Boeser has better character than that. To me, he's just slow and weak.

Erikssons almost as slow as Boeser. But he doesn't need to be fast to be effective. He's smart positionally and has a quick stick.

Virtanen has always been advertised as a streaky, maybe lazy type of player. He glides around and has been doing it since his minor hockey league days. His hockey IQ is low and it's actually amazing that Green has gotten him to the point that he has. I seriously second guessed his defensive ability when he first came in to the league. Greens got him playing adequately on the defensive side to a point where he can take a regular shift.

Seems like you're expecting Green to perform miracles.

Reactions: Canucks1096

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Bump:

Benning and Co get a ton of hate around these parts, but seeing the grinders take over this lineup it's hard not to look at the coach. Definitely worth discussing....maybe a thread title change to coaching talk?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sutter and Virtanen on the third line instead of Gaudette and Baertschi is f***ing yuck.

Especially after Green said Gaudette would make it as 3rd or 4th line center.

This organization can f*** themselves, seriously.

Reactions: geebaan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad