Travis Green Appreciation Thread

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Travis Green is an above average coach and has done a good job with what he was given. Tough love with Hutton & Virtanen worked out for the better, hopefully it has the same effect on Goldobin. Rookies placed in a position to succeed last year with Boeser & this year with Pettersson, was very cautious for about the first 5 games with both players and then he let them fly. Overall has done a good job, Canucks play with a lot more energy and pace; heavy, fast north/south game. He does have trouble with figuring out line combinations and developing chemistry. Plays below average players more than he should and good players less than he should.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You actually have to give Green some credit on the Pettersson front even though he is a gifted player. Most were saying he would have to start in the NHL on the wing after playing only 7 games an center last year in Sweden. From the start of training camp Green wanted him at center and had the stones to do it

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It would be ...except that the Canucks are 5-4-1 without EP in the lineup.

.500 with him in it.
I think a lot of posters don’t like Green because he treats Granlund like his first born...but he is doing a good job with a poor roster. Every coach has a “Granlund.” At least he isn’t Vey or Chaput like Willies pets.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Excellent coach...best coach the Canucks have had since AV...Quite remarkable the results that he has gotten out of this roster.

Well, I mean... we had Torts, who was a drama-filled tire fire... then we had Willie D who seems like a nice man who really shouldn't be coaching an NHL team.

So, it's not a high bar post AV.

Still, I like what Green has done here in general.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That's a very low bar
No it's not..John Tortorella was a horrible misfit as coach here (like Willie,was basically brought in to salvage an aging underachieving roster)..doesnt make him a crappy coach overall though (didnt he win NHL coach of the year last year,or the year before?).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That's a very low bar

What a funny comparison to make lol. I like Green and all but it's not going to be hard to beat a coach that was all but completely checked out (murphy bed anyone?) and twitchy Willie Desjardins the walking panic attack.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
No it's not..John Tortorella was a horrible misfit as coach here (like Willie,was basically brought in to salvage an aging underachieving roster)..doesnt make him a crappy coach overall though (didnt he win NHL coach of the year last year,or the year before?).

What Torts did elsewhere doesn't change the fact that he was a complete disaster here, coach of the year means nothing anyway.

Willie's tenure in Vancouver was one of the worst displays of coaching in recent history, an orangutan probably could've coached at the same level as him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What Torts did elsewhere doesn't change the fact that he was a complete disaster here, coach of the year means nothing anyway.

Willie's tenure in Vancouver was one of the worst displays of coaching in recent history, an orangutan probably could've coached at the same level as him.
Doesn't change the fact that he's good coach either..whats is Torts overall NHL coaching record?..Not completely his fault he could only get so much out of the 'stale core'....As much as I hated him as the Canucks coach, I admired his honesty..Wrong coach for the wrong team.

Completely agree on Willie,probably in the top 3 of worst coaches in Canuck history.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Given what he has this year, Green is doing an okay job. Guys are playing hard...

Sure beats that agenda petty thread of firing him, good thing there’s an ignore button on posters.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Ok changed my mind, he is a goof. Goldy sitting for 3rd straight game tomorrow while Granlund plays in the top 6 with Horvat.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I think Green absolutely has it in him to be a good coach and I think he's a whole lot more intelligent than Desjardins was, but he still makes way too many frustrating decisions for me to consider him good.

Maybe this is something that improves with time, who knows.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We’re doing a little better than last year after adding Pettersson. Hard to give too much credit to coaching here.

We were predicted by most to finish dead last this year. Hard to disagree when we lost the Sedin twins.
But this year we haven't been the worst and some of this should be attributed to coaching.

I like the way Green is handling this roster and the way he handles the media. He has instilled a confidence in a team seriously lacking depth and talent.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Green were to miraculously guide this team into the playoffs, he'd be a leading candidate for the Jack Adams Award. But even if the Canucks fall short, he's the perfect coach to bring along younger players, which is the reason Benning and Linden elevated him in the first place.

Virtanen, Hutton and even Gaudette have all made big strides under his tutelage. And I have a feeling Goldobin might eventually 'get it' as well.

What impresses me is his willingness to shake up the lines in-game. Alain Vigneault had the same intuition about his lineup. He could tell in the first couple of shifts who 'had it' and who 'didn't. He'd often load up a line to get back in a hockey game or break a third period tie. Players never got too comfortable.

Of course all this comes on the heels of the Willie Desjardins era. who just opened the gate and trotted out the same lines period after period, and game after game.

And like a lot of good coaches, Green has great faith in his assistant coaches and gives them a lot of rope to run the pp, pk and d-pairings. And he wisely defers to Ian Clark on all things related to the goalies.

He's the perfect guy behind the bench for the Canucks at this point in their evolution.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We were predicted by most to finish dead last this year. Hard to disagree when we lost the Sedin twins.
But this year we haven't been the worst and some of this should be attributed to coaching.

I like the way Green is handling this roster and the way he handles the media. He has instilled a confidence in a team seriously lacking depth and talent.

The Sedins were not very good last season

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Ok changed my mind, he is a goof. Goldy sitting for 3rd straight game tomorrow while Granlund plays in the top 6 with Horvat.

Has to be more reason the players Green has been hard on and sat have come through it better we see it with Hutton and Virtanen as easy examples and I like Goldy has got skill shows flashes , what do we not see from Greens perspective such as practices or 1 on 1 work Green is tough that way .

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Green is probably the smartest guy in the Canucks organization, only person that seems very strategic in his thought process like Gillis and speaks very intelligently to the media. He's a great coach and absolutely gets some credit for turning this team around and showing significant progress after the Sedins retired.

edit: Isn't he also one of Gillis' hires when Green joined the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad