Travis Green Appreciation Thread

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I definitely think Green had input on keeping some of the useless grinders around.

He loves Schaller for some reason and only scratched Loui once last season even when he play took a massive hit and went from being fine to actively bad.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's no different than a lot of coaches, who just seem to get fixated on some bottom-six forwards. Who can forget Willie's obsession with Jayson Megna, Michael Chaput and Jack Skille?

So guys like Schaller and Motte can do no wrong; while guys like Goldy and Virtanen in in permanent purgatory. You have to cut Green some slack I guess. It's the playoffs or bust for this coach. I imagine that if he's going down with the ship, he wants 'his guys' as deck-hands.

Reactions: MikeK and Nomobo

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Going to have to figure it out quick. If he doesn’t this will be the end of his NHL head coaching gig.

Yeah Benning’s built a less than ideal team but it looks pretty amateur out there.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm not sure what I think of Green after the last two games. After the last two games and specifically last night's game where this team was run off the ice. I can't tell if it's the coach or mishmash and lack of talent. Outside of Leivo on the first PP, I'm not sure what criticisms I have of Green.

If this team can't complete or handle basic passes at the NHL level while throwing the puck directly to opposing players in front of their net, how much of that is the fault of coaching?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If his strategy is to just fire it from the point and hope it bounces off a teamate that isn't there, then he's done really well so far this season despite the results. Should probably extend him now, so he can feel his job is safe and he could just focus on winning the cup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or does Green seem more tense and defensive during some of these post-game media scrums? The pressure is definitely on. Nobody expected much from the Canucks in his first two seasons here, and they obliged with a sub-500 record. But this year the free ride is over. It's win, or turn out the lights, the party's over for this head-coach who doesn't have a contract beyond this season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Should have fired him last year when Quenville became available and tried for him. Coach Green just cant do it, he is Willie V2.0

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Necro bump.

How analytics helped lead Travis Green and the Canucks back to the playoffs

Really good read. TLDR: Green has been using his own analytics since the utica days and now coaches with analytics equally with live updates and adjustments that are based on both analytics and eye test.

Canucks don't want to play a dump and chase game at all which bodes well for less Beagles going forward.

Reality is that those two teams were basically dead even going into the series. Every analytics model said it, and so did the eye test. It looked like a five game series to everyone before and early in the series.

Green's adjustments probably won them the series, or at the very least, played a big part in it not going five games.

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
“Man, it feels like I’ve been using analytics forever” -Travis Green

Is this the same guy that send his 4th line out to get killed like every other game?

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Been getting torched on these boards, praising Greens coaching for a long time.

About time some people show some real appreciation.

Reactions: Gormo

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
With this crap back end and a bunch of journeyman forwards he’s brought in a defensive system that the players have bought in to. They’ve beat the defending Stanley Cup champions. That’s a good start.

Now let’s see what happens when you bring in some more players that can play.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
YEah gotta give him some credit for splitting up Pettersson and playing him all over the place ie seeing him out there with all sorts of scrubs........Motte, Sutter etc. Either getting a bit more freedom from ROR or forcing ROR to defend 4 liners. Also finally getting JV going - that was also a big one.

Green showed some ability to switch things up and think creatively...........nice to see

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Coach Green and Coach Brown making adjustments? Full credit to them.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It's been impressive seeing the team struggle, then make smart adjustments to turn the series around. Green has definitely devloped as a coach and will be earning a big raise from his $1M salary. He's the lowest reported coach salary on CapFriendly by a significant amount: Coaches - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I still don't like Green's tendency to overplay our 4th liners when it's late in games - it should be EP. Or playing Eriksson/Motte too high up the lineup when we're defending a lead. But I will give him credit for splitting up the lines for Game 5 which threw a different look at the Blues in terms of matchups. Plus they switched Boeser and Miller around on the PP which finally opened the one-timer from the left circle as a threat.

Pennask

Jul 28, 2020
On a lake
I was skeptical of Green but game 5 in the Blues series opened my eyes. He adjusted in time to put the breaks on the series slide that was developing.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
this team is playing an amazing team game and we just knocked out the Stanley Cup champs.... Green has my full support

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
gotta hand it to the coaching, they were magnificent defensively through two periods and good enough in the third. did to st louis what st louis to our forwards in games 3 through 5.

Reactions: NinjaKick

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Always knew he was a good coach. But the dumbest thing he did was bringing back ex-Winterhawks such as Pouliot and Leipsic, but was just starting.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Straight up he's starting to prove me wrong with how he coached games 5 and 6. Have never been able to deny his ability to get his locker room to buy in, either.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad