GDT: Traverse City Tournament: Detroit Red Winglets vs Team Inspired by the New York Rangers

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Man zadina is just a disaster. Returns to the ice for a pp but all he does is turn it over 2-3 times,, the last of which resulted in a goal

Glad he seems to be OK tho

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zadina unfortunately reminds me of Tatar. Slower and weaker than everyone, poor decision making, tons of turnover.

Hopefully he has a better preseason

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not watching today, but a lot of dunking on Zadina. Think this guy needs a year in Grand Rapids? I thought he looked great in the first game, but even then, he made a lot of turnovers.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm not watching today, but a lot of dunking on Zadina. Think this guy needs a year in Grand Rapids? I thought he looked great in the first game, but even then, he made a lot of turnovers.

Honestly one of the worst players on the ice. But I wouldn't put too much weight into it, this was super disorganized hockey.

Hopefully he redeems himself this preseason.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario

A lot of that was me lol maybe I'm being too harsh but I am most critical about those that I have high expectations for and care a lot about

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I don't think hes ready for GR, very very lazy, turns pucks over just watch's as the guy skates away, makes bad play in O zone tackles guy's has a fit losses the lead and momentum for the team. Does nothing but look down and blast the puck at the net. right now hes is nothing more than a bad replacement for Frk. He needs to grow up some and work his way to GR.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I don't think hes ready for GR, very very lazy, turns pucks over just watch's as the guy skates away, makes bad play in O zone tackles guy's has a fit losses the lead and momentum for the team. Does nothing but look down and blast the puck at the net. right now hes is nothing more than a bad replacement for Frk. He needs to grow up some and work his way to GR.
lol Good Lord

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014

lol yeah none of this true. He constantly keeps his legs moving. He plays pretty solid D especially for an 18 year old. His head is up when he shoots.

However, he doesn't seem to use his teammates well. He's probably just use to being "the guy". He did make several good passes throughout the tournament, so I think his vision is good.

Overall assessment: He's 18. A year in GR might not be a bad idea.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
lol yeah none of this true. He constantly keeps his legs moving. He plays pretty solid D especially for an 18 year old. His head is up when he shoots.

However, he doesn't seem to use his teammates well. He's probably just use to being "the guy". He did make several good passes throughout the tournament, so I think his vision is good.

Overall assessment: He's 18. A year in GR might not be a bad idea.
Right none of that happened? He never turned the puck over and just watched 4 times in just tonight's game! Never lost the puck in the O zone, then proceeded to hook grab and pull the guy down? Then never had a fit like a little kid over it? Never one time was pushed off the puck? Never ever ever did he have his head down and get rocked right? Umm 3 times but I know none of that happened. Lol I never said he was bad or was a bust I said hes a kid and needs to grow up hes no where near ready for the NHL. But my god don't tell the truth around here or you are a know nothing ass hole lol.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

It's tough to say. I'll admit, I expected more from him in the tournament. He holds on to the puck a bit too long. If he can't stand out in the prospects tournament, I'm not sure he's ready for the NHL yet. You can tell he has the skills, but he has some maturing to do as a player. It wouldn't hurt to at least start him in GR and go from there. Who knows though, maybe he elevates his game in the preseason against higher competition, and stands out there.

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
Right none of that happened? He never turned the puck over and just watched 4 times in just tonight's game! Never lost the puck in the O zone, then proceeded to hook grab and pull the guy down? Then never had a fit like a little kid over it? Never one time was pushed off the puck? Never ever ever did he have his head down and get rocked right? Umm 3 times but I know none of that happened. Lol I never said he was bad or was a bust I said hes a kid and needs to grow up hes no where near ready for the NHL. But my god don't tell the truth around here or you are a know nothing ass hole lol.

All of that happened. However, you made it sound like that's ALL that happened. There was a lot of good with the bad. Also, to state that he's not ready for GR is an overreaction.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zadina got worse as this tournament went along and Veleno got better. Not sure what to read into that. They've all played 4 games in 5 days so fatigue is certainly a factor for some players.

Love the kid, but AHL seems like the best option at this point.

Based off four prospect games? Hardly. He's going to get looks to start the year to see if he can hang.

Reactions: TheMule93

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
You guys need a reality check. Go watch some other freshly drafted top end players. Even Dahlin has turned the puck over ALOT. These kids are stepping into a level of competition above world junior hockey. They are also playing a lot of games in a few days time with players that they haven't played with before.

Zadina has shown a lot of talent and created quite a few opportunities throughout this tournament. He has made his fair share of mistakes and obviously has to make some adjustments. Some players styles are better suited to jump in with less adjustments than others. Like Veleno for example, who utilizes his speed to create space and gain zone entry. Not much changes for Veleno at this tournament.

It has always been ideal for Zadina to play in the AHL next season. Nothing has changed with the conclusion of this tournament. Its just that most people on this forum didn't realize it until now. If the Wings rebuild was in its final stage and Zadina could be insulted by a lot of high caliber players and put into a situation to collect points playing with guys who will produce. Then maybe it could be justified playing him in the NHL. But obviously the Wings aren't in that situation and the result would be watching Zadina struggle (with flashes of talent) and risk destroying his confidants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavels Dog

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Love the kid, but AHL seems like the best option at this point.

Yeah, I agree, unless he kills it at the main camp (not likely) based on the prospect tourney.

So:

Raz-Larkin-Mantha
Bert-Nielsen-Nike
Helm-AA-Vanek
Frk-LGD-Abby
Witk

Veleno with 7 pts vs. Zadina with 3 pts. Cholo & Veleno looked great, Raz looked good, Zadina was ok.

burbankmarc

Oct 17, 2014
You guys need a reality check. Go watch some other freshly drafted top end players. Even Dahlin has turned the puck over ALOT. These kids are stepping into a level of competition above world junior hockey. They are also playing a lot of games in a few days time with players that they haven't played with before.

Zadina has shown a lot of talent and created quite a few opportunities throughout this tournament. He has made his fair share of mistakes and obviously has to make some adjustments. Some players styles are better suited to jump in with less adjustments than others. Like Veleno for example, who utilizes his speed to create space and gain zone entry. Not much changes for Veleno at this tournament.

It has always been ideal for Zadina to play in the AHL next season. Nothing has changed with the conclusion of this tournament. Its just that most people on this forum didn't realize it until now.

Agreed.

We were all hoping he'd be able to step right into the NHL and score 40 like Laine, or Matthews. That's probably not going to be the case, but we still have all of preseason to see where he fits in the NHL.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

It has always been ideal for Zadina to play in the AHL next season. Nothing has changed with the conclusion of this tournament. Its just that most people on this forum didn't realize it until now. If the Wings rebuild was in its final stage and Zadina could be insulted by a lot of high caliber players and put into a situation to collect points playing with guys who will produce. Then maybe it could be justified playing him in the NHL. But obviously the Wings aren't in that situation and the result would be watching Zadina struggle (with flashes of talent) and risk destroying his confidants.

By all accounts, Dahlin has looked phenomenal this week.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
By all accounts, Dahlin has looked phenomenal this week.

I have watched Dahlin turn the puck over quite a few times, make decisions that led to him being caught up in the play and leaving his team in a bad position with the puck going the other way. Watched him fall on his ass on the blue line that led to an immediate 2 on 1 and a goal against. Did he do some great things offensively? Absolutely. He is a 1st overall pick and played professional hockey for the last two seasons. He should look good. But he also made some very bad plays and has a lot to learn yet. I'm a huge Dahlin fan and a big Buffalo fan was well. I'm not saying this to knock Dahlin, I brought this up to show that even a guy as great as Dahlin didn't look perfect in this tournament and its not the end of the world that Zadina made some bad plays.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Zadina is a bust confirmed by this prospect tournament! Hopefully we can find a sucker to take him for a 5th round in 2023?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
All of that happened. However, you made it sound like that's ALL that happened. There was a lot of good with the bad. Also, to state that he's not ready for GR is an overreaction.
How is it a over statement that he was pushed around by other AHL/CHL players? And in this last game just looked completely out of place? Not he just had a bad game, he looked like he did not belong out there this game he looked lost. Now was he just trying to hard? Yes I think so. Did the other teams play him hard? Yes they did. But you think that is going to change or get any easier on him? Nope. He could very well end up hurting his development or worse yet get hurt playing over his head. I don't want that at all. I think he has a lot of skill just needs time to adj and grow as a person/player. I want him in GR not the biggs yet. Heck the kid does not even drive yet lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad