GDT: Traverse City Tournament: Detroit Red Winglets vs Team Inspired by the New York Rangers

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How is it a over statement that he was pushed around by other AHL/CHL players? And in this last game just looked completely out of place? Not he just had a bad game, he looked like he did not belong out there this game he looked lost.

Many of Columbus' players were on try outs and three to four years older than Zadina, some with AHL experience. It should be no surprise he wasn't dominating the ice all game against this team.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Many of Columbus' players were on try outs and three to four years older than Zadina, some with AHL experience. It should be no surprise he wasn't dominating the ice all game against this team.
So then we are in agreement he needs to be in GR then. And by that AHL players where to much for him, there was my point I don't know if even GR is the right place for him yet.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So then we are in agreement he needs to be in GR then. And by that AHL players where to much for him, there was my point I don't know if even GR is the right place for him yet.

I think you're reading way too much into one game.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
wait.. so now we want to shelter the young guys? I thought the narrative all along was the wings should get rid of the old players and throw all the young guys to the wolves :sarcasm:

Reactions: izlez and lilidk

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think that unless he blows people away in camp, Zadina in GR has always been the sensible choice. His comparative lack of physical maturity to other, less talented prospects in the system, his total lack of pro experience and the fact that he is not some top 2 pick phenom always pointed to time in GR for his own good. Add to this the fact that strategically we're not in a position to be playing under-ready talent in order to eke out a few extra points or playoff seeding and we don't have the strength to be sheltering people in the line-up....I'd rather be giving early call-ups to guys who are less high end but physically ready to see where they are st as part of this rebuilding, and if it costs us a couple of places in the standings, at this point it's no bad thing.

Give good ice time to prospects who ARE ready and players who might be on the trade block come TDL

I'm fine st this stage with starting Ras with the big boys and then moving Cholo, Hronek and Zadina up at different points during the season, if they progress well in GR.

I was all for the streak, but now it's over, their is little merit trying to rush kids and hurry the rebuild like all the bad orgs we've seen before. It's one thing if you get a top 2 pick and thus an NHL ready Uber talent. We don't, so why hurry

Reactions: lilidk

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I'm starting to come to the side of keeping Zadina in the A for most of the year and then having his 9 games be at the end of the season.

No reason to Niederreiter him just because we're impatient to watch our new toy. We're not going to be finishing outside the bottom 7-8 regardless of him stepping in and contributing or not

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Zadina didn't look great by any means. I really hope he adjusts to the level of AHL hockey fast before he gets himself killed.

On the other side of things, I thought Rasmussen looked great. Aside from his actual points (I don't remember what he ended up with), I think 3 or 4 goals that he didn't get points on were the direct result of him screening the goalie

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Everything else aside, his decisions with the puck are enough to keep him in the AHL for a year. I'm not even sure if a lot of his decisions would fly there either.

To many no look passes, forced off pucks, trying to do it all himself, etc...

He for sure looked like a boy out there. Not saying he's a bust at all, but he has to learn to simplify more and play smarter .

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
Is it really a surprise Zadina gets trainwrecked all time cause he likes to cut to the middle for a wrister. Newflash, big boys are going to put him to the sleep. Although I didn't expect it to happen at this level. It may end up to be a real concern, thats his bread and butter when it comes to scoring goals.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Givani Smith has gotten things back on track over the last 6 months or so. His skating looks much better than I remember. Hopefully he can grab a spot on the Griffins and do well.

Reactions: waltdetroit

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yikes, people are so defensive when you criticize a top prospect.

Nobody's calling the dude a bust. He just sucked these past few games. Big whoop

To me it seems some of the criticism lean towards sensationalism without context. Two specific posts that stand out:
"Zadina has been the worst player on the ice"
"He has been garbage"

*Disclaimer: I did not watch the tournament so I cannot contest these claims. Maybe they are completely accurate. However...

If the above comments are going to be your talking point about the top Red Wings prospect in a generation of course people are going to push back. Cut the sensationalist rhetoric and add some context on why you felt Zadina has been bad and I'm sure there is much more room for a nuanced conversation on the kid.

On the other hand, people (maybe you, I wasn't paying that much attention) have pointed out that he has tried to do to much, hasn't used his teammates and has got caught with his head down too often. These comments open a constructive dialogue on how the kid can improve.

My comment isn't a shot at you in particular but rather my two cents on how we can improve this community as a whole. If we reduce sensational commenting, leave room for nuance and focus on context I think we can have more civil and engaging discussion/critiques. Make of it what you will :cheers:

Anyway, to bring this full circle, I am not expecting Zadina to be an instant savior for this team so I've always preferred he spend as much time as he needs in the AHL. Patience will be key to rebuilding this team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just watched the game. Pretty impressive that even in a 7-3 loss, Cholowski looks so good. Team looked fatigued though. Good showing by the top kids, and nice to see Smith and Saarijarvi also with strong performances. Bring on training camp, super excited about it this year.

As for Zadina, he faded with every game pretty much. It's a tough schedule for an 18 year old. I won't make too much of it. Let's see what he does in camp surrounded by NHL-caliber players.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
To me it seems some of the criticism lean towards sensationalism without context. Two specific posts that stand out:
"Zadina has been the worst player on the ice"
"He has been garbage"

*Disclaimer: I did not watch the tournament so I cannot contest these claims. Maybe they are completely accurate. However...
I watched every Wings game of the Tournament and he was garbage that final game, hence my post, he was garbage. I also said this about Zadina the previous game "Dirty heads up up pass by Zadina cross crease to Ras for the tap in. Beautiful PP." Or you can use my full quote which praises Veleno "Zadina was definitely garbage the first period. Joey V look fairly good!" Or use the post directly after mine which says "Gotta just let the play come to you sometimes. Don’t have to try and walk 3 or 4 guys every shift. Probably trying a little too hard right now trying to impress the big club right now. He’s doing too much in this game."

If you want context, look around, there were plenty of people who gave crystal clear context to your above two quotes.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Some impressions from going to the tournament:

- Rasmussen and Veleno look to be locks for long NHL careers when they get there. Both seem to be pretty intelligent, hardworking players who make smart decisions for the most part (at young ages, things should only get more polished as they mature)

- Zadina needs time in the AHL to get used to playing against men

- G Smith is going to be a fan favourite for a long time

- Cholowski was one of the best players in the whole tournament

- Fulcher looked out of place and I don't understand how he earned a contract last year

- Traverse City is a beautiful place and I can't wait to go back next year

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
upload_2018-9-13_12-44-12.png

... didn't see that coming

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yikes, people are so defensive when you criticize a top prospect.

Nobody's calling the dude a bust. He just sucked these past few games. Big whoop

Comparing him to Tatar and saying he isn't even AHL ready after one game where nearly every player looked like CHL fodder is an overreaction. If this were the only game they played to judge their NHL readiness, every player on the ice, bar none, would be in the lowest league they could be buried in for the foreseeable future. There aren't many 18 year olds playing 4 in 5 and they looked like that was the case.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If people over here are worried about Zadina I'd hate to think what the Hurricanes board is saying about Necas and Svechnikov

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Some thoughts:

First, I think Zadina looked very good. Remember that this is his first prospect tournament. They play, practice, and are on the ice for a ton of hours during the week this is on, so he definitely got the full experience. Older players that have been through it seem to adjust well.

Cholo looked good, but remember he's one of the oldest there (almost 21 years old). I wouldn't read way too much into it. As I keep saying, for older, higher draft picks you learn more when they look bad than you do if they look good. Still showed his offense is his primary tool. Still see him as a middle pairing PPQB.

Ras looked fine, I wonder though how he will react when he's playing against real defense though. From what I saw he took advantage of his size, and in the AHL and NHL that's going to less of a factor. Definitely reinforced my idea that Detroit is grooming him for a top 6 wing role and not a middle 6 center role. That's good, I think as a winger and PP net front guy he's going to be very good for a long time.

Smith looked like a career AHL player. Another long in the tooth guy who should be noticeable barely met that criteria most of the time. Might be the dumbest 2nd round pick in a long time.

Goaltenders: Jesus I hope they are late bloomers, because no one in goal for Detroit looked like the next NHL starter for Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad