GDT: Traverse City Tournament: Detroit Red Winglets vs Team Inspired by the New York Rangers

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- Fulcher looked out of place and I don't understand how he earned a contract last year

Fulcher was great against Dallas. He was also good at OHL playoffs on last year.

If we base our analysis on 1 game, we are on a wrong way. Goalies have bad games, and throwing somebody under the bus instantly is pathetic and idiotic.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Cholo looked good, but remember he's one of the oldest there (almost 21 years old). I wouldn't read way too much into it. As I keep saying, for older, higher draft picks you learn more when they look bad than you do if they look good. Still showed his offense is his primary tool. Still see him as a middle pairing PPQB.

A 20 year old Cholowski is not anywhere near "one of the oldest there".
The guy who hit Zadina in the final, Wade, played 4 years of NCAA hockey and is damn near 25 years old!!!
There are plenty of 22-24 year old players there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Final game Scoring chances:

Detroit - Columbus 3-7

Scoring chances:
0 -10min, 8-1
10-20min, 12-5
20-30min, 2-5
30-40min, 5-2
40-50min, 7-4
50-60min, 4-9
Total: 38-26

High-Danger chances: 8-8
Medium-Danger chances: 14-9
Low-Danger chances: 14-9

That game flow was just brutal. Wings dominated the first period, and Columbus scored from their second chance. Chances after the 1st period were 20-6 for Detroit and score only 1-1. CBJ goalie really did stood up for them.

When entering the 2nd period, Colubmus scores with their second shot. That went a bit easy for Fulcher. This took energy off from Wings, and they didn't get going until the end of the period.

They came strong for the 3rs period, equalized the game and Cholowski put the team on lead to 3-2. Chances at this point were 5-0 in the period and 32-13 in the whole game (!).

Then, weak penalty for Zadina, and CBJ equalizes on PP with a nice tic-tac-toe play. No chance for Fulcher. Then they score again on next shot after a massive screen on net. First 2 shots of the period and game turns 3-2 --> 3-4 and Red Wings lost totally their momemtum.

Columbus handled the end part of the period, scoring 3-5 after Hamilton horrible giweaway, 3-6 on empty net and meaningless 3-7 on last seconds.

All in all, Red Wings played their best game of the tournament as a team, but had unbelieveable bad luck on scoring situations.

Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.)
#27 LW Rasmussen (2) + (3+2+2) + 5 (3 screens, 2 drawn penalties) = 14
#90 C Joe Veleno (3+1+2) + (1+1+1A) + 1 (block) = 10
#11 RW Filip Zadina (2+2+1+2) + (1+1+1A+1) + 1 (screen) = 12
--------------------------------------------------------------
#49 LW Axel Holmström (3+3+2+1+1) + (3+1A) + 0 = 14
#70 C Christopher Ehn (3) + (zero) + 2 (screen, def.play) = 5
#48 RW Givani Smith (3G+2G) + (zero) + 1 (screen) = 6
-------------------------------------------------------
#67 LW Brady Gilmour (zero) + (zero) + 1 (drawn penalty) = 1
#64 C Zach Gallant, (2+3+2) + (zero) + 2 (screen, drawn penalty) = 9
#58 RW David Pope (1+1+2+3) + (1A) + 0 = 8
------------------------------------------------------
#53 LW Jordan Topping (2+2) + (2+1) + 1 (screen) = 8
#81 C Trevor Yates, (3+2+1) + (2) + 1 (drawn penalty) = 9
#89 RW Pavel Gogolev, (1+1+1) + (2) + 1 (drawn penalty) = 6

3 = High-Danger chance/assist
2 = Medium-Danger chance/assist
1 = Low-danger chance/assist

Conclusions:
- 1st line wasn't as good as before, but still the best line. Better team effort from 2-3-4 lines.
- Axel Holmström, best game from him in the tournament, had chances also at ES, not only PP.
- Smith scored both times from his 2 chances, but otherways it was quiet game from him.
- In Gallant and Gilmour battle, Gilmour was this time as winger and Gallant at center. They have switched positions after every game. Gallant was great and Gilmour worst of all forwards.
- Topping played his best game on the tournament.
- Better game also from Gogolev, but didn't set the world on fire.

Defence, Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.) + Zone exits (+plus - minus)
#21 LD Dennis Cholowski (2+1+1G) + (2) + 0 + (Exits +1 -0) = 7
#62 RD Trevor Hamilton (1) + (1) + 1 (good def.play) + (exits +1 -1) = 3
-----------------------------------------
#94 RD Alec Regula, (zero) + (1+2A) + 1 (block) + (Exits +0 -0) = 4
#29 RD Vili Saarijärvi, (1+1+1) + (2+2+1+1A+2) + 0 + (Exits +1 -1) = 12
-----------------------------------------
#73 RD Marcus Crawford, (zero) + (zero) + 0 + (Exits +0 -0) = 0
#50 RD Reilly Webb, (zero) + (1) + 2 (def.play, block) + (Exits +0 -1) = 2

- Worst game from Cholowski, even though he scored. The power-play shot-fest was missing. Was logging probably too much minutes thanks to McIsaac's injury and 4th game on 5 days didn't help?
- Hamilton otherways good, but that giweaway for 3-5 goal was just bad.
- Saarijärvi suddenly phenomenally better. Where did this come from after 3 crappy games?
- Regula is definitely the best righty on the left side. That reach helps him so much.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Saarijarvi was very impressive, especially in zone exits. Not seeing the offensive prowess besides the shot.

I thought Regula made some slickl plays with the puck on his stick, but his passing was pretty off.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was also very impressed, how good did we play against "men" rosters with a "kid" roster. Columbus had 16 try-outs of their 24-man roster (mostly 24-aged college free agents) on their team. We iced on average 14 own prospects (which most are crap guys from lower round) and 5 try-outs per game.

Reactions: joe89

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Fulcher was great against Dallas. He was also good at OHL playoffs on last year.

If we base our analysis on 1 game, we are on a wrong way. Goalies have bad games, and throwing somebody under the bus instantly is pathetic and idiotic.

Hey fair enough -- I haven't watched a ton of him

But being at the arena and seeing him play those 2 games live really left me wondering what the upside is. I didn't think he played great against Dallas at all. I thought both him and Rybar struggled mightily with rebound control all tournament. Both guys looked out of their element IMO. Fulcher's final appearance especially looked really ugly with the 6 goals on 17 shots (one goal was EN as you mentioned).

A couple of the goals were nice PP goals or team hung him out to dry but he didn't do anything to help the team either while CBJ's goalie was standing on his head and spitting nickels most of the game. I have checked his stat lines from OHL and seen some stuff online from Fulcher before but my first couple of impressions seeing him in person were that his body language and stance are not confident, his rebound control is detrimental, and I was just generally underwhelmed.

I really hope his development continues forward with some more positive steps, but as far as this tournament goes he looked really out of his league to me.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I think that unless he blows people away in camp, Zadina in GR has always been the sensible choice. His comparative lack of physical maturity to other, less talented prospects in the system, his total lack of pro experience and the fact that he is not some top 2 pick phenom always pointed to time in GR for his own good. Add to this the fact that strategically we're not in a position to be playing under-ready talent in order to eke out a few extra points or playoff seeding and we don't have the strength to be sheltering people in the line-up....I'd rather be giving early call-ups to guys who are less high end but physically ready to see where they are st as part of this rebuilding, and if it costs us a couple of places in the standings, at this point it's no bad thing.

Give good ice time to prospects who ARE ready and players who might be on the trade block come TDL

I'm fine st this stage with starting Ras with the big boys and then moving Cholo, Hronek and Zadina up at different points during the season, if they progress well in GR.

I was all for the streak, but now it's over, their is little merit trying to rush kids and hurry the rebuild like all the bad orgs we've seen before. It's one thing if you get a top 2 pick and thus an NHL ready Uber talent. We don't, so why hurry

His point still stands though... Plenty of people here were moaning about Vanek signing and as a result, Zadina won't be getting some fair shake... It goes beyond that too.. "Play the kids", when that's debunked, "sign cheap vets for short term" and when that happens, "OMG, we're taking away spots from the kids"... An infinite loop...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad