GDT: Traverse City Prospects Tournament

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Murphy and Bean aren't very comparable as skaters. Murphy had none of Bean's lateral mobility walking the line, and the same goes for escaping in the defensive end. Better hands and head for moving the puck, notably better. Outside of "offensive minded d-man" they aren't similar players. Murphy would only have made an big offensive impact as a slashing join the rush type, he doesn't have the type of skating for a pp qb at the NHL level.
On the other hand Murphy's straight line speed absolutely blows what Bean has out of the water. Very different players despite both being offensive dmen. TBH Bean reminds me of Green without the shot.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Lots of good feedback and analysis in this thread. I haven't been able to watch anything other than highlights, so this is good stuff.

These tourneys are great fun, but I still wonder how much stock to put into them. You ultimately still have guys that are thrown together very quickly, are playing their first games in quite some time, and playing with different levels of intensity and care. I'm very excited for preseason and training camp when there is a lot more purpose and time together.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
On the other hand Murphy's straight line speed absolutely blows what Bean has out of the water. Very different players despite both being offensive dmen. TBH Bean reminds me of Green without the shot.
I don’t disagree, I’m just not sure straight away speed is as useful for an offensive dman. Maybe that sounds ridiculous but a good comparison is Hanifin vs Provorov. Provorov couldn’t catch Hanifin down the rink in his dreams, but Hanifin is pretty meh on the offensive blue line by comparison. That lateral skating is everything for an offensive dman. Straight ahead speed is great off the rush but that just doesn’t happen as much in the game for a Dman.

Puck poise/hands is obviously a big part of it as well, and Bean has a lot more of that than Murphy.

I agree completely with the Green comparison.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Lots of good feedback and analysis in this thread. I haven't been able to watch anything other than highlights, so this is good stuff.

These tourneys are great fun, but I still wonder how much stock to put into them. You ultimately still have guys that are thrown together very quickly, are playing their first games in quite some time, and playing with different levels of intensity and care. I'm very excited for preseason and training camp when there is a lot more purpose and time together.
I’m of the same opinion. I’m sure guys don’t want to get hurt before training camp as well. I do like it as a warmup for some players in maybe getting up to game speed quicker than other players in training camp. Looking at you Svech, Necas, and Gauthier.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Not much to like that period. More of the same, I'd say. Poor defense leading to poor transition. Great goaltending and some decent individual efforts, but no real teamwork. Gauthier again stood out for me. Svech-Necas-Kuokkanen seem to be looking for the pretty play instead of keeping it simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00