Travel to Pittsburgh

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Headed to Pitt for a long weekend April 15th-18th. We'll be staying a few miles north of the Allegheny Rows district. Any suggestions for local events or local breweries in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Headed to Pitt for a long weekend April 15th-18th. We'll be staying a few miles north of the Allegheny Rows district. Any suggestions for local events or local breweries in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Allegheny Rows district doesn't appear to be a thing. Also, Pitt is the university.

With that out of the way, I'd walk through the Strip Disctrict and check out the local shops one morning. There's a few breweries in this neighborhood. Then another city neighborhood with local shops and breweries is Lawrenceville, which is actually next to the Strip. Millvale and Sharpsburg, while not actually part of the city, are towns along the Allegheny River that have local shops and breweries.

I hope that at least gets you started.

Reactions: Gurglesons

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Allegheny Rows district doesn't appear to be a thing. Also, Pitt is the university.

With that out of the way, I'd walk through the Strip Disctrict and check out the local shops one morning. There's a few breweries in this neighborhood. Then another city neighborhood with local shops and breweries is Lawrenceville, which is actually next to the Strip. Millvale and Sharpsburg, while not actually part of the city, are towns along the Allegheny River that have local shops and breweries.

I hope that at least gets you started.

Old Allegheny Rows Historic District​

Pittsburgh City, Allegheny County, PA

• Post Office: Pittsburgh
  • Zip Code: 15212

The Old Allegheny Rows Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document [1

So, there's the info on the Allegheny Rows, which appears to be a thing. I stayed in Lawrenceville last time I was in Pitt. With that out of the way, thanks.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Old Allegheny Rows Historic District​

Pittsburgh City, Allegheny County, PA

• Post Office: Pittsburgh
  • Zip Code: 15212

The Old Allegheny Rows Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document [1

So, there's the info on the Allegheny Rows, which appears to be a thing. I stayed in Lawrenceville last time I was in Pitt. With that out of the way, thanks.

You dick. :laugh:

But for real, I can almost guarantee that no Pittsburgher knows what that is. And the "Pitt being the university" is to avoid confusion with the locals. If you say you're visiting Pitt people will automatically assume that you're here to tour the college.

Reactions: RabidBadger

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
You dick. :laugh:

But for real, I can almost guarantee that no Pittsburgher knows what that is. And the "Pitt being the university" is to avoid confusion with the locals. If you say you're visiting Pitt people will automatically assume that you're here to tour the college.
People who know me would say I'm more of a bastard than a dick;) Our place is about a mile from Riverview Park so I was looking for stuff in that area. We'll be checking out Milvale and Sharpsburg, though.

Anyway, love your town and the people were awesome for our last visit. Looking forward to coming back!

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
People who know me would say I'm more of a bastard than a dick;) Our place is about a mile from Riverview Park so I was looking for stuff in that area. We'll be checking out Milvale and Sharpsburg, though.

Anyway, love your town and the people were awesome for our last visit. Looking forward to coming back!

Lots to do on the North Side/Shore and the Mexican War Streets area. Breweries: 412 Brewery, 4 Points, Bier's Pub, Allegheny City Brewing, Penn Brewery, and Southern Tier. Museums: Andy Warhol, Mattress Factory, Randyland, Children's Museum, the National Aviary, and the Carnegie Science Center. Plenty of decent restaurants too.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Lots to do on the North Side/Shore and the Mexican War Streets area. Breweries: 412 Brewery, 4 Points, Bier's Pub, Allegheny City Brewing, Penn Brewery, and Southern Tier. Museums: Andy Warhol, Mattress Factory, Randyland, Children's Museum, the National Aviary, and the Carnegie Science Center. Plenty of decent restaurants too.
Now that is an excellent list, hermano! Much better than anything any Airbnb host has recommended. I will, for sure be pleasantly buzzed

I'm already planning a 3rd trip to The Burgh...my wife and I really love the mix of city life integrated with nature all around.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Strange Roots is a good brewery in Millvale. Then go get iron born pizza. Also second the Aviary

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Now that is an excellent list, hermano! Much better than anything any Airbnb host has recommended. I will, for sure be pleasantly buzzed

I'm already planning a 3rd trip to The Burgh...my wife and I really love the mix of city life integrated with nature all around.

Maybe Randy can better knowledge you, I know Sharpsburg (main street) and across the 62nd street bridge on Butler street headed to Lawrenceville are a complete mess with the streets torn up for sewage lines. Like holy nightmare bad. Stay away from these areas if you value your time.

Randy lives not far away and travels it more than me.

Also, the ramp at the Highland park bridge to go to Aspinwall/Sharpsburg is closed from route 28.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Maybe Randy can better knowledge you, I know Sharpsburg (main street) and across the 62nd street bridge on Butler street headed to Lawrenceville are a complete mess with the streets torn up for sewage lines. Like holy nightmare bad. Stay away from these areas if you value your time.

Randy lives not far away and travels it more than me.

Also, the ramp at the Highland park bridge to go to Aspinwall/Sharpsburg is closed from route 28.

I've not had much issue with this area, but I mostly travel during off-hours. Last week I went to the liquor store in Aspinwall and it only took me maybe an extra 5 minutes. And I believe the water main break at Butler & 62nd has been fixed.

Since I do think more construction projects will be starting up in Spring, I suggest checking Waze and Uber/Lyft to see how bad the commute would be.

cc @RabidBadger

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I realize that Pittsburgh isn't the first place that comes to mind for Thai food, but I've always liked Nicky's Thai Kitchen. The one in Northside is better than downtown IMO and it's right by a bunch of the breweries that have been mentioned. Their outside seating is much nicer, though.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Coming to town the weekend of the 9th for the Caps game. Staying in the Market Square area and wanted to see how viable walking to PPG is.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I've not had much issue with this area, but I mostly travel during off-hours. Last week I went to the liquor store in Aspinwall and it only took me maybe an extra 5 minutes. And I believe the water main break at Butler & 62nd has been fixed.

Since I do think more construction projects will be starting up in Spring, I suggest checking Waze and Uber/Lyft to see how bad the commute would be.

cc @RabidBadger
Oh man, Randy. I live in Fox Chapel. Are we neighbors? I always assumed you lived near Wbs/Scranton.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Coming to town the weekend of the 9th for the Caps game. Staying in the Market Square area and wanted to see how viable walking to PPG is.
Market square to ppg paints arena isn’t too far. I parked at Oxford Center last game to avoid traffic after the game, which is probably two blocks from where you are staying. If it’s a nice night, it’s definitely doable.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It wouldn't be too bad. Depending on where exactly you are staying or what you are doing before the game, you could also hop on the T for a stop or 2. It's free within downtown and might save a little walking (especially if the weather sucks).

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Appreciate the heads up and I’ll be at the Wyndham and more than likely will pregame in that area rather than closer to the arena. I can’t remember the name of place I went to before a game last time but they had decent bar food and beer prices. Think they offered brunch as well.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Appreciate the heads up and I’ll be at the Wyndham and more than likely will pregame in that area rather than closer to the arena. I can’t remember the name of place I went to before a game last time but they had decent bar food and beer prices. Think they offered brunch as well.

Any more descriptors? I'm thinking The Yard or City Works.

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
I went to my first Pens game a few weeks back and noticed there is a bar at the back of the lower bowl on a corner where the Pens shoot once. Am I right in thinking you can stand and watch the game from there with any ticket? Do they make you buy a certain number of drinks? Seemed a good view and maybe you could just buy the cheapest upper bowl ticket and stand down there?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I went to my first Pens game a few weeks back and noticed there is a bar at the back of the lower bowl on a corner where the Pens shoot once. Am I right in thinking you can stand and watch the game from there with any ticket? Do they make you buy a certain number of drinks? Seemed a good view and maybe you could just buy the cheapest upper bowl ticket and stand down there?

I think those are Standing Room Only "seats". Not positive. I guess it depends how cool the ushers are in that area if they'd let you hang out there. When I went to a game in Nashville I had a similar situation.

I went to this really nice fancy Italian restaurant that was literally directly at the end of one of the bridges.

Stagioni? That's the only Italian place at the end of a bridge that I'm seeing in my quick Google Maps search.

Reactions: #2eddieshore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad