Travel to Pittsburgh

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Appreciated. Any good coffee shops in the area that aren’t a chain?
I’m usually Starbucks guy so I don’t really have much for that.

There is a great Argentinian restaurant close to your hotel I’d recommend:

If you have time, you should see the strip district. There’s a lot of cool things to check out over there if you’ve never been.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I’m usually Starbucks guy so I don’t really have much for that.

There is a great Argentinian restaurant close to your hotel I’d recommend:

If you have time, you should see the strip district. There’s a lot of cool things to check out over there if you’ve never been.

Last time I was in that area was 6 years ago when the Pens eliminated the Rags on a Saturday lol

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Apparently Adda Coffee has a location near Market Square now. I've not been to that one but I've been to 3 other locations. I'm a fan. Nicholas Coffee always smelled good when I walked by.

Like the sound of that. Usually just get Tims in the mornings but wouldn’t mind trying something local for once

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Gurglesons some places near the arena or in the Strip with vegetarian options:

Kaya [Strip District. I really like this place but haven't had any of the vegetarian dishes: Food Menu]

Nicky's Thai Kitchen [Downtown, just out of the Strip. Been to this location once for lunch and enjoyed it. Really like the North Side location. BYOB. Dishes can be ordered without meat: Nicky's Thai Kitchen]

Roland's [Strip. Been here twice? Didn't really stand out to me, but my two friends really liked it. All In One Menu — Roland's Seafood Grill]

Coop de Ville [Strip. Haven't been. Looks like they have two options?: Menu — Coop de Ville]

Cinderlands Warehouse [Strip. Been here a number of times, which is obvious once you realize it's a brewery. Had a butternut squash flatbread last time I was there that I loved. Doesn't appear to be on the menu any more, but they've got other options: Cinderlands Warehouse — Cinderlands Beer Co.]

Souper Bowl [across from the arena. Didn't realize they had vegetarian options til I remembered I met Clare there and she's a vegetarian. The Souper Bowl]

If it were me, I'd pick Kaya or Cinderlands. But perhaps @Clare2904 can chime in with more options.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Kaya [Strip District. I really like this place but haven't had any of the vegetarian dishes: Food Menu]

Nicky's Thai Kitchen [Downtown, just out of the Strip. Been to this location once for lunch and enjoyed it. Really like the North Side location. BYOB. Dishes can be ordered without meat: Nicky's Thai Kitchen]

Roland's [Strip. Been here twice? Didn't really stand out to me, but my two friends really liked it. All In One Menu — Roland's Seafood Grill]

Coop de Ville [Strip. Haven't been. Looks like they have two options?: Menu — Coop de Ville]

Cinderlands Warehouse [Strip. Been here a number of times, which is obvious once you realize it's a brewery. Had a butternut squash flatbread last time I was there that I loved. Doesn't appear to be on the menu any more, but they've got other options: Cinderlands Warehouse — Cinderlands Beer Co.]

Souper Bowl [across from the arena. Didn't realize they had vegetarian options til I remembered I met Clare there and she's a vegetarian. The Souper Bowl]

If it were me, I'd pick Kaya or Cinderlands. But perhaps @Clare2904 can chime in with more options.
@Gurglesons if you are going to be on the weekend...I strongly recommend APTEKA, its an Eastern European vegetarina super delicious, its a little bit farther by the Childrens, in Upper Lawrencville/Bloomfield area, I live in the neigbourhood, have not been in a while but it was really good

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Gurglesons if you are going to be on the weekend...I strongly recommend APTEKA, its an Eastern European vegetarina super delicious, its a little bit farther by the Childrens, in Upper Lawrencville/Bloomfield area, I live in the neigbourhood, have not been in a while but it was really good

looks very good, but no reservations are available either day.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

thanks Kaya looks good. is lefty's still the best dive down there in the strip?

used go to Lucky's too lol.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Apparently Adda Coffee has a location near Market Square now. I've not been to that one but I've been to 3 other locations. I'm a fan. Nicholas Coffee always smelled good when I walked by.
@End of Line ADDA serves VERVE coffee so if you like, I yet to have VERVE brand that I super liked...Pittsburgh has so many great coffer rosters and shops, really great selection, check some of those downtown, there are quite a few you won't regret if you are big coffee fan, I don't hang out near Market Square, bu closest to that that I know with good coffee is De Fer, on Smallman, there is also La Prima kind of Pittsburgh staple on the dsame street in the AC Hotel, but their coffee is so so..

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm not a vegetarian but the best place is really
Udipi Cafe on old William Penn highway in Monroeville. Indian restaurant, no meat. Best dosas and chutneys. Probably my favorite restaurant in or around the city.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
thanks Kaya looks good. is lefty's still the best dive down there in the strip?

used go to Lucky's too lol.

Yeah, Lefty's is it. Art's Tavern is a place I'd like to try out. I mean... you're just down the hill from Polish Hill. Pretty sure it was you who has mentioned Gooski's a few times. Rock Room is also a dive.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

I really can't remember where I eat when in Pittsburgh. At the time I was only vegetarian so most places offered something for me to eat :laugh:

All I can suggest for anyone looking for vegan / vegetarian food when travelling is www.happycow.com

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
@End of Line ADDA serves VERVE coffee so if you like, I yet to have VERVE brand that I super liked...Pittsburgh has so many great coffer rosters and shops, really great selection, check some of those downtown, there are quite a few you won't regret if you are big coffee fan, I don't hang out near Market Square, bu closest to that that I know with good coffee is De Fer, on Smallman, there is also La Prima kind of Pittsburgh staple on the dsame street in the AC Hotel, but their coffee is so so..

Appreciate the heads up since I’ll need it after just getting in lol

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
And @RabidBadger how was your visit?
We had a great trip, thanks for checking in. Been meaning to come back here and thank the Pittsburgh crew for the recomendations.

We hit Highland and Schenley Parks, the West End Overlook (great view), the Riverfront by the Mr. Rogers memorial, the Aviary, Randyland and browsed The Strip. Food/drinkwise we did Kaya, Licoln Ave Brewery, Allegheny City Brewery, Mad Mex Shadyside and Karen o's Diner. Alas, Iron Born Pizza was closed the day we wanted to get it. T'was curious to see how Detroit style was done elsewhere. The people were A+ as always. Yer muh dawgs!

Pro tip for visitors: Waze is superior gps for navigating the city. Google maps was awful.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We had a great trip, thanks for checking in. Been meaning to come back here and thank the Pittsburgh crew for the recomendations.

We hit Highland and Schenley Parks, the West End Overlook (great view), the Riverfront by the Mr. Rogers memorial, the Aviary, Randyland and browsed The Strip. Food/drinkwise we did Kaya, Licoln Ave Brewery, Allegheny City Brewery, Mad Mex Shadyside and Karen o's Diner. Alas, Iron Born Pizza was closed the day we wanted to get it. T'was curious to see how Detroit style was done elsewhere. The people were A+ as always. Yer muh dawgs!

Pro tip for visitors: Waze is superior gps for navigating the city. Google maps was awful.

I actually checked out Lincoln Avenue Brewery for my first time this Saturday. My friend was visiting from Erie and I repaid him the favor of driving to a bunch of breweries. I liked my small sample, he liked his three, and the food I saw looked good. Cool little venue.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad