Travel to Pittsburgh

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Any good keto friendly fast food Dt? I'm flying in now.

Hate to tell you this now, but downtown can be kinda dead. Thankfully for you, though, the Steelers play tonight.

If there's anything keto-friendly to be found tonight in your area, I'm assuming it'd be in Market Square:

Google Maps

Hope you find what you're looking for! I also hope you enjoy our surprisingly small city.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Coming in from Saskatoon, Canada to Pitt to see the Chi-Pens game on Saturday (Penguins are my team). Also, a huge Rams fan so I'll be at Rams-Steelers on Sunday. First time seeing the Rams play live and I've been a fan since I was a little kid.

Fourth trip to Pittsburgh (twice Penguins/Steelers and once in the summer to see my Dodgers at Pirates). First time to PPG Arena.

1) How much for cab/Uber from airport to downtown? Was going to stay at Hyatt right next to PNC but it is $200 cheaper a nite at the Hyatt Airport. Hopefully, I'll still save money even with the trips back and forth.

2) There's a real cool dive bar that was near the Igloo. Lots of Pens action. Forget the name?

3) Tailgate tips? I'll be decked on in L.A. gear but will people be nice if I explain I'm from Canada...:)? Gotta have fond memories of taking out the Rams in 79/80 Super Bowl!

4) Do people still congregate at that Marriot that was across the street from the Igloo on game days (pre/post)?

Thanks.

BTW, my flight is Saskatoon-Minneapolis-Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh- Atlanta (!)-Minneapolis-Saskatoon. Brutal but seeing Penguins and Rams was too good to pass.

My Best-Carey

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Coming in from Saskatoon, Canada to Pitt to see the Chi-Pens game on Saturday (Penguins are my team). Also, a huge Rams fan so I'll be at Rams-Steelers on Sunday. First time seeing the Rams play live and I've been a fan since I was a little kid.

Fourth trip to Pittsburgh (twice Penguins/Steelers and once in the summer to see my Dodgers at Pirates). First time to PPG Arena.

1) How much for cab/Uber from airport to downtown? Was going to stay at Hyatt right next to PNC but it is $200 cheaper a nite at the Hyatt Airport. Hopefully, I'll still save money even with the trips back and forth.

2) There's a real cool dive bar that was near the Igloo. Lots of Pens action. Forget the name?

3) Tailgate tips? I'll be decked on in L.A. gear but will people be nice if I explain I'm from Canada...:)? Gotta have fond memories of taking out the Rams in 79/80 Super Bowl!

4) Do people still congregate at that Marriot that was across the street from the Igloo on game days (pre/post)?

Thanks.

BTW, my flight is Saskatoon-Minneapolis-Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh- Atlanta (!)-Minneapolis-Saskatoon. Brutal but seeing Penguins and Rams was too good to pass.

My Best-Carey

1) Uber's estimator is showing around $50 one way (https://www.uber.com/us/en/price-estimate/). The 28X bus (Google Maps) is about $3 one way to the arena from the airport. I'm not sure what you'd be comfortable with. Maybe bus to downtown and then Uber back to the hotel? Here's the real-time map of the PGH buses: https://truetime.portauthority.org/bustime/map/displaymap.jsp And the PDF map of the 28X: https://www.portauthority.org/pdfs/28X.pdf

2) I think you're talking about the Souper Bowl? Google Maps

3) I'm assuming most people are friendly. Maybe wear a Penguins hat. :laugh: Other than that, I can't offer much help.

4) Yes, from what I recall.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: frisco

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Bumping this thread to see what's the new must-see places in the city? Me and my girl have a week in the old stomping grounds before we hit Taipei, and besides the old favorites (Penn-Mac, Kelly's, Lawrenceville, etc.), I'd like to show her some new places.

Things she likes:
Cocktails
Doughnuts
Diners
Good Food
Vintage clothes

We'll have a car, so I don't mind a bit of driving, so outside the city could be cool too.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Bumping this thread to see what's the new must-see places in the city? Me and my girl have a week in the old stomping grounds before we hit Taipei, and besides the old favorites (Penn-Mac, Kelly's, Lawrenceville, etc.), I'd like to show her some new places.

Things she likes:
Cocktails
Doughnuts
Diners
Good Food
Vintage clothes

We'll have a car, so I don't mind a bit of driving, so outside the city could be cool too.

When's the last time you've been in the Burgh? That way I'll know what'd be considered new. I won't have any recommendations for vintage clothes though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Things she likes:
Cocktails
Doughnuts
Diners
Good Food
Vintage clothes

The new Lemieux complex in Cranberry to catch some practices might appease you and maybe not your Girl. It's cold and wet and soon to be snowing so this will limit some stuff.

Doughnuts - definitely hit up the new Oakmont bakery. They moved closer to the Hulton Bridge/across from Riverview High school in Oakmont. Their product hasn't suffered from moving since they kept the old ovens and such I believe. I 100% recommend. There is seating inside and they have more than just pastries.

One Sweet Street. Oakmont, PA 15139.
7806f4c1-099b-48cd-8f4d-2089e8bbe71a.jpg

Good food?

There's a lot around town.

There's a new barbecue place on Butler st. in Lawrenceville, Walters Barbecue Southern Kitchen 4501 Butler St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201 and there's new places popping up everywhere down there. Randy would probably know a lot of those details.
Walters-Southern-Kitchen-GeoTagged-9.jpg

I have eaten at Walters a couple times since they open.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We were back last winter, but spent more time in Lawrenceville and Sliberty than anything else.

Alrighty.

Donuts, I back the Oakmont suggestion. Go early if you can. There’s a place in Elliott, I think, called, I think, Better Maid Donuts. Had them a ton growing up but only recently learned of their supposed name.

Cocktails, definitely check out Hidden Harbor in Squirrel Hill if you like rum. Lorelei in East Liberty, if you haven’t been, makes good ones too even though they’re a beer hall. Kelly’s has cheap ones. The Summit up in Mt. Washington is a place I’ve had a few and have enjoyed. If I were @ColePens I would suggest Butterjoint.

Diners, I love Nancy’s and Pie for Breakfast. The Lot in Oakmont has breakfast so maybe you can double dip with the bakery.

Good food, I love Condado tacos. They’ve got two locations. Apteka in Bloomfield has some great pierogies. Vegan restaurant and there’s usually a wait. I’m partial to it since I go at least twice a month, but Bulldog Pub in Morningside has some pretty decent pizza and a good beer special. DiAnoia’s May have the best Italian in Pittsburgh.

Gotta board my flight but I’ll come up with more suggestions.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I've been to Taiwanese Café Bistro 33, it is one of the better Chinese type restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. Top 3 probably would be Everyday Noodles, Chengdu Gourmet and Taiwanese Café Bistro 33 and they are all in Squirrel Hill. Bistro 33 and Everyday Noodles are close to each other by the corner of Forbes and Shady although on opposite corners.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've been to Taiwanese Café Bistro 33, it is one of the better Chinese type restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. Top 3 probably would be Everyday Noodles, Chengdu Gourmet and Taiwanese Café Bistro 33 and they are all in Squirrel Hill. Bistro 33 and Everyday Noodles are close to each other by the corner of Forbes and Shady although on opposite corners.

As much as I love Taiwanese food, my girlfriend's family runs a bento shop in Taipei, so she's picky about it. :laugh: Besides, we'll be in Taipei on the 29th, so I'm more interested in stuff we can't get in Prague or Taipei.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I need to see the Pens in Pittsburgh. Probably next season. I do want to take a big Scandinavian trip but while my dog is getting closer to the end I don’t want to take big trips so maybe some short ones around North America. Pittsburgh, Portland (OR), Alaska, Hawaii, Vegas, Montreal are places I haven’t been yet that I’d be keen on seeing.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
We were back last winter, but spent more time in Lawrenceville and Sliberty than anything else.

It's been around for several years at this point, but Acacia is still the best cocktail bar in the city IMO, if you've yet to be there. The Warren, which is downtown right by the Benedum and much newer, also has solid cocktails. Don't go to Bridges and Bourbon.

Food and vintage clothes, well, you'll be spending time in Lawrenceville so you've already got that covered haha. Driftwood Oven opened there recently-ish. Pizza joint that bakes with sourdough bread. Would recommend.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's been around for several years at this point, but Acacia is still the best cocktail bar in the city IMO, if you've yet to be there. The Warren, which is downtown right by the Benedum and much newer, also has solid cocktails. Don't go to Bridges and Bourbon.

Food and vintage clothes, well, you'll be spending time in Lawrenceville so you've already got that covered haha. Driftwood Oven opened there recently-ish. Pizza joint that bakes with sourdough bread. Would recommend.

Acacia's the speakeasy kinda place out on Carson? If it is, I've definitely been there. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad