Travel to Pittsburgh

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hello- we are traveling to Pittsburgh soon for a couple of Penguins games- we have done the trip a few times before and have always stayed close to PPG arena. This time we were thinking about staying somwhere else/different location. Wondering if there is a good area/suburb to stay in that has good hotels/shopping/restaurants close by? Still want to be fairly close to PPG, preferably no more than 20 minutes or so.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated- thanks! (Restaurant recs also welcomed!)
just scroll through this thread and you will find a lot of information. My recommendation is to stay somewhere in East End, anywhere from Oakland, East Liberty, Squirell Hill, Shady Side or Bloomfield/Friendship neighborhoods. Its a 10-20 minute drive to PPG Arena, and it has everything you need for fun, hotels restaurants, shopping, etc...

Reactions: HandshakeLine

NeonKnight

Nov 14, 2008
Hello- we are traveling to Pittsburgh soon for a couple of Penguins games- we have done the trip a few times before and have always stayed close to PPG arena. This time we were thinking about staying somwhere else/different location. Wondering if there is a good area/suburb to stay in that has good hotels/shopping/restaurants close by? Still want to be fairly close to PPG, preferably no more than 20 minutes or so.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated- thanks! (Restaurant recs also welcomed!)

We stayed in Pittsburgh for 6 days over Thanksgiving in order to catch two games (Flames and Leafs). We split our stay between two hotels. The first leg was right in Market Square at the Hilton Garden Inn. Plenty to do around Market Square and a quick walk to the arena. The second leg was at Hilton Homewood Suites in the Strip. Also a great place to be (lots to do around the Strip and also the other direction to downtown). Short walk to the arena, though slightly longer than the other hotel.

AirBnBs are limited in these locations and few or none have on-site parking, so we opted for the hotel route.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
We stayed in Pittsburgh for 6 days over Thanksgiving in order to catch two games (Flames and Leafs). We split our stay between two hotels. The first leg was right in Market Square at the Hilton Garden Inn. Plenty to do around Market Square and a quick walk to the arena. The second leg was at Hilton Homewood Suites in the Strip. Also a great place to be (lots to do around the Strip and also the other direction to downtown). Short walk to the arena, though slightly longer than the other hotel.

AirBnBs are limited in these locations and few or none have on-site parking, so we opted for the hotel route.
Love the Hilton Garden Inn, right on the square. But it went from around $200 per night to like $500 per night in like less than a year. Which I suspect is why he's asking about hotels outside the city. As mentioned, Oakland and Shadyside aren't that far. And a relatively short, cheap bus ride will get you downtown.

NeonKnight

Nov 14, 2008
Love the Hilton Garden Inn, right on the square. But it went from around $200 per night to like $500 per night in like less than a year. Which I suspect is why he's asking about hotels outside the city. As mentioned, Oakland and Shadyside aren't that far. And a relatively short, cheap bus ride will get you downtown.
It was $188/night during Thanksgiving week ($214 with tax).

Attachments

• HGI.JPG
    HGI.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 2

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
It was $188/night during Thanksgiving week ($214 with tax).
We got a room for 3 adults Nov. 18th and 19th. The Hilton Garden Inn was something like $920 or $930 for the 2 nights.
The Drury (love their coffee- always hot, always on, always free) and an air b-n-b next to the arena was a little over $600 for the 2 nights.
Ended up booking the Cambria which was $520 through priceline with a $150 discount for opening a priceline charge account.
Good deal since I was paying it off shortly after anyways. Bad choice though lol. Hate the Cambria. Only good thing was the free parking in back of the hotel. Looks rundown inside for it's age, hotel restaurants are closed, no cheesecake....

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We got a room for 3 adults Nov. 18th and 19th. The Hilton Garden Inn was something like $920 or $930 for the 2 nights.
The Drury (love their coffee- always hot, always on, always free) and an air b-n-b next to the arena was a little over $600 for the 2 nights.
Ended up booking the Cambria which was $520 through priceline with a $150 discount for opening a priceline charge account.
Good deal since I was paying it off shortly after anyways. Bad choice though lol. Hate the Cambria. Only good thing was the free parking in back of the hotel. Looks rundown inside for it's age, hotel restaurants are closed, no cheesecake....

My wife swears by the Cambria's mattress- says it's the best night of sleep she ever had. I typically book there since it's in easy stumbling distance from the arena ;)
Agree though that the Cambria is a bit dated.

Reactions: td_ice and Ulf5

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
My wife swears by the Cambria's mattress- says it's the best night of sleep she ever had. I typically book there since it's in easy stumbling distance from the arena ;)
Agree though that the Cambria is a bit dated.
If it was game night, would've been nice.
But it was a cold, blustery weekend. Making the treks downtown a bit miserable.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Hi Pens fans! I'm likely going to be stopping by for February long weekend for a couple of days and going to the game against the Devils but besides that I was looking for things to do/see in your city while I was there!

I've obviously done some googling and the main reason I'll be there is the game but it's always better to hear from a local. Any and all suggestions are great! Maybe a nice restaurant to take the wife to or things to sightsee?

Thanks in advance

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hi Pens fans! I'm likely going to be stopping by for February long weekend for a couple of days and going to the game against the Devils but besides that I was looking for things to do/see in your city while I was there!

I've obviously done some googling and the main reason I'll be there is the game but it's always better to hear from a local. Any and all suggestions are great! Maybe a nice restaurant to take the wife to or things to sightsee?

Thanks in advance

giphy.gif

Will you have a car and what neighborhood will you be staying in?

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Thanks in advance

Enjoy true generational talent sir!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Thanks in advance

Car or rental car, get up to Mount Washington's overlooks. I know it's probably gonna be cold, but both day/night are great views. You can also take the inclines up there from Station Square where you can also find dining. Pay parking lot is there.

Monongahela Incline at Station Square®
Duquesne Incline at Station Square®
Station Square®

Buca Di Beppo (Italian) is very good.

There's also the nearby Southside for bars/dining. A lot to choose from.

An Attraction, Drinking, and Eating Guide to South Side

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Car or rental car, get up to Mount Washington's overlooks. I know it's probably gonna be cold, but both day/night are great views. You can also take the inclines up there from Station Square where you can also find dining. Pay parking lot is there.

Station Square®

I agree with everything but Buca Di Beppo. Why bother suggesting a chain restaurant?

edit: To offer an Italian alternative that's nearby BDB, check out Alla Famiglia in Allentown. Also expensive but worth it.

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
giphy.gif

Will you have a car and what neighborhood will you be staying in?

Station Square®

Not sure where I'll be staying yet but I will be driving in so I'll have a vehicle. Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
In march I´m going to Pittsburgh to Watch two Pens games.

I have a few questions that I hope someone in here can answer!

First of all, what do you recommend to do in the Burgh except hockey? Anything I can´t miss?

Penguins gear, souveniers, is CEC the best Place for that or is there any other store that is better?
Dicks Sporting goods, do they have NHL jerseys and clothes?

We are going to stay at Cambria suites at CEC and planning to go to Ross park mall one day, what is the best way to get there? And is Dicks Sporting goods Close to Ross park mall?

Thanks!
My first stop whenever I'm back home is always at the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe.

Chili Cheese dog, Hamburger, Chili Cheese French Fry and a homemade Chocolate shake. It starts out the Pittsburgh food frenzy perfectly.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I agree with everything but Buca Di Beppo. Why bother suggesting a chain restaurant?

edit: To offer an Italian alternative that's nearby BDB, check out Alla Famiglia in Allentown. Also expensive but worth it.
Why can't restaurants put their menu on their website? Why do I have to download it, ffs?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Why can't restaurants put their menu on their website? Why do I have to download it, ffs?
Because half of Pittsburgh is still in 1978. :laugh:

My first stops whenever I come back are always breakfast at DeLuca's and then Enrico for biscotti and Penn Mac for the holiday essentials. Or for whatever mom and I are cooking that night.

Reactions: vodeni and Ulf5

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Because half of Pittsburgh is still in 1978. :laugh:

My first stops whenever I come back are always breakfast at DeLuca's and then Enrico for biscotti and Penn Mac for the holiday essentials. Or for whatever mom and I are cooking that night.
:lol: Unfortunately it's not just Pittsburgh lol.
Mmmm DeLuca's mixed grill with corned beef hash. Mmmm biscotti. Damn you handshake.. Now I have to book a trip back to the Burgh.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

EchoesoftheEighties

Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Thanks to those suggesting mount Washington, it looks like a really scenic view of the city and a nice spot for pics with the lady. Will definitely check that out.

Looking at prices of rooms and Airbnb's everywhere I'll probably just stay downtown. Market Square area seems decent and not too far away from PPG? Also looking at North or South Shore or something like this, within that vicinity. Are the forts near there interesting? Nice walkable areas? I'll be driving in early in the morning so I'm sure we'll keep busy until game time and after.

Last edited:

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Thanks to those suggesting mount Washington, it looks like a really scenic view of the city and a nice spot for pics with the lady. Will definitely check that out.

Looking at prices of rooms and Airbnb's everywhere I'll probably just stay downtown. Market Square area seems decent and not too far away from PPG? Also looking at North or South Shore or something like this, within that vicinity. Are the forts near there interesting? Nice walkable areas? I'll be driving in early in the morning so I'm sure we'll keep busy until game time and after.
You can walk to anywhere Downtown from the arena in 10-15 minutes, including the Point which is probably the furthest point.
You could also walk from Downtown over the Smithfield St bridge to the incline to get up to Mt. Washington.
I'm old, out of shape and smoke 3 packs a day. So in reality it's probably only a 5 minute walk to anywhere Downtown.
And as mentioned earlier, there are air bnbs and a hotel right by the arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
So I'll be in town for the March 25th game against the Caps, Does the area store have the 3rds on sale for every game or just the games they wear them on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad