Travel to Pittsburgh

caddy27

Nov 22, 2015
Hey everyone. I'm traveling in for the first time the weekend of the Sabres game and had a few questions. I've been a long distance fan for a long time and want to go to the game, what is the best way to get tickets to a Pens game? As far as staying I currently have a hotel outside the city, but if I switch to an Airbnb where is a good area to enjoy the city?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Hey everyone. I'm traveling in for the first time the weekend of the Sabres game and had a few questions. I've been a long distance fan for a long time and want to go to the game, what is the best way to get tickets to a Pens game? As far as staying I currently have a hotel outside the city, but if I switch to an Airbnb where is a good area to enjoy the city?

If you can find one, an AirBnB on
Mt Washington might be nice to stay at for the view of the city if ones available.

North shore, Southside and the strip may also have some Airbnb's which neither would be a terribly far walk from PPG as well as having nightlife to them.

itsdigiornos

Feb 10, 2020
hello looking to go to the sabers game the 22nd I was wondering whats a good price for the 200 sections seats. i see now its about 80 per seat.

thanks

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
hello looking to go to the Sabres game the 22nd I was wondering whats a good price for the 200 sections seats. i see now its about 80 per seat.

thanks

Since this is a weekend game, $80/per seems reasonable. I used to have to sell my 200-section tickets during the weekdays for around $40/per. Weekend games were usually around $75, unless it was a Canadian team in town.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Puck You Too

Apr 12, 2019
Maryland
hello looking to go to the Sabres game the 22nd I was wondering whats a good price for the 200 sections seats. i see now its about 80 per seat.

thanks

Saturday games are usually premium prices after football season is over. Add in the fees and you'll be around $96. You might find a better deal on craigslist as the game gets closer but there is some risk. I've been finding the best prices 3-4 days out on the 3rd party vendor sites. If you haven't, download the Pens App and sign up for the last minute ticket notifications.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

thanks

Our seats row a balcony are $86 face and $99 to break even on stubhub. We sold the buffalo tickets for $135.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What's a good hotel near the arena for around $100 a night

Fairfield Inn and Suites Pittsburgh Downtown and AC Hotel Pittsburgh Downtown seem to be decent but just out of your price range.

Alternatively, stay near the baseball and football stadiums for cheaper and take the subway (for free) to a few blocks away from the hockey arena.

Reactions: itsdigiornos

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I have a question about the mobile ticketing. I bought tickets to a Pens game as a gift for my parents. I transferred them over on Ticketmaster to my dad so they would be on his phone. Can he keep both mobile tickets on his phone or does he need to screenshot (or something else) one of the tickets and send it to my mom’s phone so that she can get into the arena?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I have a question about the mobile ticketing. I bought tickets to a Pens game as a gift for my parents. I transferred them over on Ticketmaster to my dad so they would be on his phone. Can he keep both mobile tickets on his phone or does he need to screenshot (or something else) one of the tickets and send it to my mom’s phone so that she can get into the arena?

Best if she just gets the app too and he transfers her ticket over.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
After being in Seattle for 13 years (lived in Pittsburgh prior for about 15 years) we moved to Cleveland area about a year ago and we are going to Pens v Caps on March 7th. Be first game since seeing the Pens in Phoenix around Malkins first year I think. First time at New arena. Saw many games at the Civic Arena. We are very excited to be back in the Burgh to visit friends and see game!!

Staying at Station Square. I assume the T is best way to get to the arena?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
After being in Seattle for 13 years (lived in Pittsburgh prior for about 15 years) we moved to Cleveland area about a year ago and we are going to Pens v Caps on March 7th. Be first game since seeing the Pens in Phoenix around Malkins first year I think. First time at New arena. Saw many games at the Civic Arena. We are very excited to be back in the Burgh to visit friends and see game!!

I would say so, it drops you off only a few blocks from the arena.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Yes, most likely. It'll cost you and whoever you're going with $2.75 each way. Station Square is the first non-free stop out of "downtown".

Reactions: nwhockeyfan
Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
My brothers and I will be driving up to Pittsburgh for the game this weekend. I have had several different experiences in several different arenas and am just genuinely curious. Obviously it depends on the people sitting in my section but here it goes.

How are Caps fans treated in PPG? Will it remotely resemble Philly? In my personal experience... Cowboys fans that live in DC are absolute insane humans with very very large mouths... but I traveled to Dallas for a Skins Cowboys game and the people down there could not have been nicer.

One of my brothers certainly loves the sauce and can get a bit mouthy, but it is in good nature and if you give it back to him he takes it in stride. How is something like that generally treated?

Looking forward to a new experience in a new arena! Any bar recommendations close to the arena? Cheers!

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
My brothers and I will be driving up to Pittsburgh for the game this weekend. I have had several different experiences in several different arenas and am just genuinely curious. Obviously it depends on the people sitting in my section but here it goes.

How are Caps fans treated in PPG? Will it remotely resemble Philly?

One of my brothers certainly loves the sauce and can get a bit mouthy, but it is in good nature and if you give it back to him he takes it in stride. How is something like that generally treated?

Looking forward to a new experience in a new arena! Any bar recommendations close to the arena? Cheers!

Pens fans are generally pretty tame. You might get some razzing in the restrooms, but nothing crazy.

As far as bar recommendations close to the Arena go, hit up Pizza Milanos or Souper Bowl 2nd floor if you want good food in a good atmosphere. Prepare to get there about 2 hrs before gametime if you want a seat though. Shales is fine if you want the dive bar experience and don't need to eat.

Aside from that, you might be better off going to a place like The Yard in market square or Sammy's on Liberty (another dive, but decent sandwiches) and walking the extra 10/15 mins to the arena.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

How are Caps fans treated in PPG? Will it remotely resemble Philly? In my personal experience... Cowboys fans that live in DC are absolute insane humans with very very large mouths... but I traveled to Dallas for a Skins Cowboys game and the people down there could not have been nicer.

The times I've been to Pens v Caps games at PPG it seems that people were mostly friendly. I do think that experience is quite dependent upon alcohol consumption though. The crowds have seemed quite tame for years though. And how dare you even compare Pittsburgh to Philly in fan behavior! :laugh:

Bars? Depends how far you want to stray from the arena. There's a number of them on Penn Avenue between 6th and 10th street. That's about a 15 minute walk based on my memory. Way closer to the arena is the Souper Bowl which I enjoy going to before the game. The Red Ring Grill is slightly farther away than Souper Bowl, but I also like it.

Reactions: LegendaryNumber5

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i imagine Caps fans visiting Pit and vice versa is pretty tame atm unless alcohol was heavily involved.
Both teams have reached the promise land recently. Whats there to be mad about?
It's all gravy now for the Sid/Ovie era.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
No issue for normal Caps fans but you said your brother likes to run his mouth. 1pm Pens game you should be fine. Steelers game he'd probably get knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad