Training Camp Thread (Thursday = day off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think we’ll make top 2 easily. At least it’s backed up by analytics and not just me being right all the time ;)

ImpurePowerlessCicada-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Shady Machine

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dude... You have no idea how locked down I've been lol.... I saw my dad once this year... My mom hardly, my sister not at all... And we all live in the same state

And i don't make LITERALLY I MILLIONS OF f***ING DOLLARS while swimming in COVID as an actual essential worker not an adult playing a child's game

f*** this family rationale bullshit
Kinda long so I’m either happy for you or I’m sorry that happened.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Questioning Kapanen's ability to fill a role based on immigration issues is an absolute hack statement to make. Sorry, Jesse, not sorry. Shitty take.

Guys develop in season chemistry all the time. Pre-season and camp where everyone who is a lock to make the team are only going 3/4 speed, is not the end of the world to miss.

This was a biased, agenda driven tweet. Jesse's already made up mind about Kapanen it would appear. I thought he was better than that. Guess not. I could see this from Ryan Wilson.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Questioning Kapanen's ability to fill a role based on immigration issues is an absolute hack statement to make. Sorry, Jesse, not sorry. Shitty take.

Guys develop in season chemistry all the time. Pre-season and camp where everyone who is a lock to make the team are only going 3/4 speed, is not the end of the world to miss.

This was a biased, agenda driven tweet. Jesse's already made up mind about Kapanen it would appear. I thought he was better than that. Guess not. I could see this from Ryan Wilson.
You are being fooled by the term “immigration issue.” The pandemic isn’t something new and unexpected at this point.

It was crappy of Kap to not ensure he was here. He’s now going to miss all of training camp. This wouldn’t be such a big deal if it wasn’t his first season with the team.

Do you think it would be beneficial for him to practice with the team before the season starts? We don’t have the luxury of pissing away the first couple of months to figure things out like in the past.

I guarantee you management isn’t pleased. Kap screwed up; not sure how you don’t see that. The guy has played in 6 games in 10 months. The vacation/family excuse is pretty weak by now.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Nah. This is a valid concern. It's pretty commonplace to hear a player blame missing camp after struggling to perform throughout a season, at least in the first few months. Not to mention he's gonna miss all the video meetings, which are very helpful in acclimating to a new system. Toronto plays very differently. Kapanen's supposed to be a mainstay on the PK here as well.

Then there's the power-play, where he's a valuable right shot. He could be a left wall one-timer option, which we don't really have otherwise. Now that's off the table, at least short term.

Kap's done himself (and the team) a big disservice here by dillydallying.

Reactions: Rave7215

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I don’t believe @Jesse intended to come across as you have interpreted it.

More that things are pretty good and this is really our only problem right now (along with ZAR injury, some may say it’s not a problem :laugh:).

Chemistry with Sid would have been nice to have in camp considering how particular Sid seems to be. Sure in season is what will happen but there’s probably less rope from Sid’s POV therefore Sully’s POV.

It is what it is though. He went home for Christmas which is fair enough but now he has to wait.

I didn’t see the tweet as malicious or comparing Ryan Wilson as warranted.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are being fooled by the term “immigration issue.” The pandemic isn’t something new and unexpected at this point.

It was crappy of Kap to not ensure he was here. He’s now going to miss all of training camp. This wouldn’t be such a big deal if it wasn’t his first season with the team.

Do you think it would be beneficial for him to practice with the team before the season starts? We don’t have the luxury of pissing away the first couple of months to figure things out like in the past.

I guarantee you management isn’t pleased. Kap screwed up; not sure how you don’t see that. The guy has played in 6 games in 10 months. The vacation/family excuse is pretty weak by now.

I guarantee you management could give a shit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I guarantee you management could give a shit.

The main issue is his visa changed from Canada to a US one plus wanted to see his family one last time for Christmas in a while.

Most players wouldn’t have had to change visa’s like that so I doubt it’s even anyone’s fault just timelines/wait times haven’t helped.

He had every right to go home for Christmas.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Only silver lining if Kap misses a game or a few and Poulin looks amazing in his short camp audition...maybe he gets the nod.

Even if that happens we will get to watch a dose of Erod, McCann and Tanev struggle.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I hope they do give O’Connor or Poulin a look up there, but they’ll probably role Rodrigues on L1 and Lafferty on “L3”.

We all know that'll be the play. I just hope Poulin dummies some of our guys and forces himself into a spot.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The main issue is his visa changed from Canada to a US one plus wanted to see his family one last time for Christmas in a while.

Most players wouldn’t have had to change visa’s like that so I doubt it’s even anyone’s fault just timelines/wait times haven’t helped.

He had every right to go home for Christmas.
He had the last 5 months to visit family though. It’s not like he only had a week off.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
He had the last 5 months to visit family though. It’s not like he only had a week off.

NHL didn’t announce a restart until Dec 20th so he probably already had plans for Christmas and I don’t even know if he could have applied for a visa before then

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep. These players have had PLENTY of time to spend with their families. How much time does one need really? They're probably sick of the sight of their families by now. Beyond that when you have a job to do you make the necessary adjustments to show up on time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t believe @Jesse intended to come across as you have interpreted it.

More that things are pretty good and this is really our only problem right now (along with ZAR injury, some may say it’s not a problem :laugh:).

Chemistry with Sid would have been nice to have in camp considering how particular Sid seems to be. Sure in season is what will happen but there’s probably less rope from Sid’s POV therefore Sully’s POV.

It is what it is though. He went home for Christmas which is fair enough but now he has to wait.

I didn’t see the tweet as malicious or comparing Ryan Wilson as warranted.

The thing with chemistry is you either know or you don't know if players have it pretty much straight away (whether it's sustainable over time or a flash in the pan thing is another matter). So, if there's chemistry with Sid, missing a game and a whatever training camp isn't going to make or break things in the long run.

As an aside, I'm kind of hard pressed to think of a case where I've thought 'these guys suck together or succeed in spite of rather than because of one another' only to see long-term chemistry develop.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The thing with chemistry is you either know or you don't know if players have it pretty much straight away (whether it's sustainable over time or a flash in the pan thing is another matter). So, if there's chemistry with Sid, missing a game and a whatever training camp isn't going to make or break things in the long run.

As an aside, I'm kind of hard pressed to think of a case where I've thought 'these guys suck together or succeed in spite of rather than because of one another' only to see long-term chemistry develop.

Generally agree and I don’t read much into camp/preseason games that much but more time to work with Sid the better as he’s very particular in how he wants things for a kind of new player.

Although if Sully has said that’s where Kappy would start he’s obviously spoken to Sid. We know his 2 favourites are Jake & Rust. Also the fact he’s been a Penguin before likely helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan