Training Camp Surprises

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It blows me away that anyone would seriously think Benning would waive or cut a vet he just gave a new contract to over a rookie.

Agreed.

The hope, for me, is that Green has the power to pick his own roster. A lot of recent roster moves look, to me, to be his call. If he has emerged from the suspected managerial power struggle with a larger role, I think this could be a positive. The veteran signings address current roster issues, so I imagine they will start the season. I think Green knows his best roster will feature rookies and he is trying to inject some veteran influence. The rookies count will grow as the season progresses and injuries occur. It is possible that the Canucks are a young fast team going down the stretch with lots of veteran support in the press box.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It blows me away that anyone would seriously think Benning would waive or cut a vet he just gave a new contract to over a rookie.
Of course he wouldn’t. What GM would sign a UFA to a multi year deal and then cut him in his first training camp? Grounds for dismissal. He did cut burmistrov last year but a one year contract is obviously a different scenario

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The more interesting question is who is going to get cut/waived out of the glut of below-average players on the roster. Management can't ditch Eriksson without looking foolish and they love Del Zotto for some reason. It looks like Biega, Hutton, Gaunce, Goldobin, and Granlund will be in really tough to make the opening night roster. I don't think Bennilini would mind ditching Gagner because that was a relatively small mistake compared to some of their other blunders.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Granlund just got a new deal. He will be on the opening night roster unless he's injured.

The Canucks just lost a scoring line. The vets like Granlund will be given first crack at filling the void.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Granlund just got a new deal. He will be on the opening night roster unless he's injured.

The Canucks just lost a scoring line. The vets like Granlund will be given first crack at filling the void.
No way

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Rousell
Schaller Gaunce
Clamato

Granny Gagner

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
No way

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Rousell
Schaller Gaunce
Clamato

Granny Gagner
:laugh: There is *no way* a vet with a fresh contract will be sitting on the sidelines once the puck drops on the regular season. None. Zero. I'd like to think the team is crap enough to be an actual meritocracy...but it won't be. Everything Benning has done since coming here refutes that. Add up the contracts.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Jasek goes crazy on offense but gets cut anyway. HF board gets mad, bad signings are cited.

Gaunce goes on a heroic run of offense to avoid relegation to Utica but gets cut anyway to make room for the new culture carriers. HF board riots. Gaunce has the last laugh and reports to Chicago as a waiver claim.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
:laugh: There is *no way* a vet with a fresh contract will be sitting on the sidelines once the puck drops on the regular season. None. Zero. I'd like to think the team is crap enough to be an actual meritocracy...but it won't be. Everything Benning has done since coming here refutes that. Add up the contracts.

So who's the odd man out? 13 forwards and 8 D are signed to one way deals (except Boeser) before you add in Pettersson. Gaunce? Leipsic? Gagner? Beiga? Or is Pettersson starting in Utica? There's no outcome where Benning looks good here.

Reactions: billvanseattle

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
So who's the odd man out? 13 forwards and 8 D are signed to one way deals (except Boeser) before you add in Pettersson. Gaunce? Leipsic? Gagner? Beiga? Or is Pettersson starting in Utica? There's no outcome where Benning looks good here.
Creates competition at training camp. NOONES job is safe. Everyone has to hussle for a job. I think it could work out tho Im more concerned with the d then ANYTHING else

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Creates competition at training camp. NOONES job is safe. Everyone has to hussle for a job. I think it could work out tho Im more concerned with the d then ANYTHING else

Boeser’s job is safe. Horvat’s job is safe. So is Sutter’s, Baertschi’s, Eriksson’s, Gagner’s, Beagle’s, Roussel’s, and Schallier’s. Probably Virtanen and Leipsic’s jobs too.

That’s a lot of safe jobs. I’d say only Gaunce and maybe Granlund aren’t safe amongst the forwards.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Actually, Gaudette is a true center so his camp competition isn't really with any of the new guys they signed. If Pettersson starts on the wing as expected, than his competition down the middle is Horvat, Sutter and maybe Gaunce/Motte.

If he re-discovers his scoring touch in training camp, I can't see how he isn't in the opening night lineup.

Our Centers will be Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, one of Pettersson, Granlund or Schaller.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Our Centers will be Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, one of Pettersson, Granlund or Schaller.
Horvat
Gaudette
Sutter
Beagle

Gaunce as the 5th, Granny and Gags either on the wing, spares, waved, or traded

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, here's where we're at. Assume players with new contracts will have roster spots. Horvat and Boeser are the team's best players. They're a lock. Benning's in love with Sutter. He's a lock. So with that, we have on forward:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
xx - xx - Virtanen
Schaller - Sutter - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - xx

Three spots are open for Eriksson, Gagner, Gaunce, Goldobin and Leipsic. That's before any rookies. The top 8 D from last year are all signed for this season. The G is the same.

Of course there's no outcome where Benning looks good. No matter how you slice it the team's full of crap.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Well, here's where we're at. Assume players with new contracts will have roster spots. Horvat and Boeser are the team's best players. They're a lock. Benning's in love with Sutter. He's a lock. So with that, we have on forward:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
xx - xx - Virtanen
Schaller - Sutter - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - xx

Three spots are open for Eriksson, Gagner, Gaunce, Goldobin and Leipsic. That's before any rookies. The top 8 D from last year are all signed for this season. The G is the same.

Of course there's no outcome where Benning looks good. No matter how you slice it the team's full of crap.
Its not just full, its currently overflowing

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Eriksson is a lock no matter what he does(usually invisible).

Thats 2 spots for those players plus rookies. Peterson looks like a given. 1 spot open
I am not even positive Pettersson makes the team despite likely having an amazing camp. If Gagner could be traded it would make Petterssons life so much easier.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I am not even positive Pettersson makes the team despite likely having an amazing camp. If Gagner could be traded it would make Petterssons life so much easier.

I assume Pettersson would not be stupid enough to sign a contract where he can be sent to the AHL - go play in the SEL for 3 or 4 years first. He'll make more money there, and why travel on a bus in the AHL when he can be a star in Sweden for more money.

But the Canucks will be stupid (I mean really fxcking stupid) is they don't guarantee this kid a spot.

1 - why piss off your best prospect. If he doesn't deserve a spot, let him struggle to prove the GM and coach right.

2 - Horvat Boeser and Pettersson are the only reason people will buy tickets this year.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I firmly believe the Canucks are hoping Pettersson and Gaudette force some vets to be traded, and the Alien specifically can get Ericksson to be productive again.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I firmly believe the Canucks are hoping Pettersson and Gaudette force some vets to be traded, and the Alien specifically can get Ericksson to be productive again.
Gaudette PBP Lipesic will all easy breasy prove themselves onto the team. No doubt

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Lol, yeah, a sparkling fresh one year deal to qualify an RFA. They signed the guy so that they didn’t just give up an asset.

Your Benning hate is confusing the issue. Granlund will be shipped out or waived, if he fails to impress at camp.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Lol, yeah, a sparkling fresh one year deal to qualify an RFA. They signed the guy so that they didn’t just give up an asset.

Your Benning hate is confusing the issue. Granlund will be shipped out or waived, if he fails to impress at camp.
So they signed Granlund to not lose an asset...but you think they'll waive him or ship him out? Why would they suddenly be okay with giving up an asset?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The reason people here are frustrated is BECAUSE they understand and realize that they get the benefit of the doubt due to experience/contract, but disagree that it's an ideal approach.

And also because that isn't consistent with the narrative that gets spun about healthy competition and meritocracy heading into it (if you don't think these things are that important, that's one thing, but it's another to preach both at the same time, which is what happens all the time).
People also completely fail to realize the most significant part of the evaluation process of players is not done during preseason games.

They yell and scream about meritocracy not being applied based on what they see from a player from 15min of ice....

Jordon Subban was an example of this that yr he scored and got sent down.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People also completely fail to realize the most significant part of the evaluation process of players is not done during preseason games.

They yell and scream about meritocracy not being applied based on what they see from a player from 15min of ice....

Jordon Subban was an example of this that yr he scored and got sent down.
That doesn't address my point about that being contradicted by lip-service about healthy competition and meritocracy, which adds to the frustration regardless of whether or not the actual practice of favoring veterans is valid and meritocracy is invalid.

On top of that, I disagree. Absolutely, you can't judge a player solely on how dynamic and productive he looks in the preseason, because players like Jordan Subban and Jared McCann can play on adrenaline and briefly look a lot better than they are. However, you can glean a whole lot from preseason about how polished a young player's game is and how physically/mentally ready they are for the league. Bo Horvat's preseason (where many wrongfully based his performance on a surface-level reading and assumed he was underwhelming, when really, he looked pretty NHL ready) is a good example of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad