Training Camp Surprises

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here.

Leipsic looked like Marchand some nights, and then looked like a clueless ECHL level talent other nights. Hell he looked like both on the same night at times.

If Green has any potential to be more than an average coach, this is the kind of player he should bring consistency to.

Could be a 2nd line pest long term.
Totally agreed, ive pencilled Lipesic into the 2LW or 3LW spot. Guys got something in him

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gaudette will prove all the doubters and haters wrong when he EASILY makes the team and becomes 2C. Still annoyed at all the haters who dont have him in their starting lineups. The guy has NO quit in him and knows how to elevate his game at EVERY challenge

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Gaudette will prove all the doubters and haters wrong when he EASILY makes the team and becomes 2C. Still annoyed at all the haters who dont have him in their starting lineups. The guy has NO quit in him and knows how to elevate his game at EVERY challenge

Who hates Gaudette?

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Who hates Gaudette?
Ive seen some threads in this very forum with people saying hes overhyped, he wont make it, he sucks, his numbers inflated, he will sing elsewhere, hes a 4C blah blah blah. Its annoying as hell

Unrelated i cant remember what your old avatar was but your name is super recognizable. What was your previous avatar canafan??

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ive seen some threads in this very forum with people saying hes overhyped, he wont make it, he sucks, his numbers inflated, he will sing elsewhere, hes a 4C blah blah blah. Its annoying as hell

Unrelated i cant remember what your old avatar was but your name is super recognizable. What was your previous avatar canafan??

Show me one that says he sucks. I know you won’t find one but I think the effort would be good for you.

As for the avatar, it used to be Virtanen in the Canucks black 90’s uniform. Got bored with it so I moved to the LoseforHughes motif.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I say Virtanen is the suprise at camp. Comes in like a rocket and scores a bunch of pre-season goals. After that who knows.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Palmu is a guy who will look great in camp, but won't make the team.

Think Gadjovich is a bust as well. A man amongst boys in junior. Won't have that luxury anymore at just 6'1 and I don't think he has the foot speed to keep up.

Gaunce, Gaudette, Dahlen, and maybe Palmu.

Gadjovich is my pick to bust, personally, and I'm not sold on Goldobin.

Not a Goldobin fan, and I didn't like that trade, but it would upset me if he's waived to keep 4th liners. This is the type of asset a bad team can take a chance on. Leipsic is another (as peen mentions). Waiving a player like him after a short camp would be very stupid, IMO.

Also, it's surprising that there are others already down on the Gadjovich pick - I feel the same. Was never that enamoured with the pick in the first place.

For good surprises, I'll echo Gaudette and Dahlen. Which would make it interesting if they are sent down to start the year.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
One of Pouliot or Hutton won't make it to the end of the year me thinks..
I agree with you. Id rather lose Pouliot but depends on how each does this year, I wouldnt be opposed to losing both of them. I feel Huttons strengths are needed on our teams future if he can get them back. Pouliot can be easily replaced by OJ/Hughes if he continues his career the way we’ve seen so far

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not a Goldobin fan, and I didn't like that trade, but it would upset me if he's waived to keep 4th liners. This is the type of asset a bad team can take a chance on. Leipsic is another (as peen mentions). Waiving a player like him after a short camp would be very stupid, IMO.

Also, it's surprising that there are others already down on the Gadjovich pick - I feel the same. Was never that enamoured with the pick in the first place.

For good surprises, I'll echo Gaudette and Dahlen. Which would make it interesting if they are sent down to start the year.
Agreed, and for the record, I wasn't saying that he should be waived. I probably wouldn't feel too upset if he does, though.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I hope Pettersson and Dahlen have signed out clauses for the SEL. Heck, I hope gaudette has as well. These prospects should not be sent down because of the ignorant signings that either have NTC clauses, or will cost a ton in cap space if they are sent down. If Green wants to avoid losing players to waivers, too bloody bad. The best players at training cap should make the team, not those that are a waiver threat.

At least Benning was "smart" enough to have M-NTC clauses with Beagle and Roussel so that they can be traded at the TDL.

We are actually down to 3 NTC's on the Canucks. Edler, Sutter and Eriksson. The only insane one is Eriksson.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed, and for the record, I wasn't saying that he should be waived. I probably wouldn't feel too upset if he does, though.
If Goldobln fails to make the Canucks roster (a bottom 5 team) this camp...Do you really think that other teams are going to be bending over backwards to claim him?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
A surprise for me would be Pettersson at the very least not getting the nine game looksy-lou.

Another surprise, or better yet relief, would be OJ having a stellar camp...regardless of making the team right away... "that would just be creme ****in' brule".

(brain fart... where did that quote come from? Driving me nuts)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of taking liberties with the topic here but every year there seems to a surprise or two when it comes to PTO's invited to camp. Usually guys from out of nowhere that no one had anywhere near their radar. Nolan? Where the hell did that come from? Almost impossible to predict.

Usually just a warm body to spark competition and for the player to showcase himself to the rest of the league.... Hansen might have been wise to go this route. The K will still be there in October.

Pretty sure it's the Wire.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If Goldobln fails to make the Canucks roster (a bottom 5 team) this camp...Do you really think that other teams are going to be bending over backwards to claim him?
What are you talking about? I didn't suggest anything like that. I'm just saying that I don't care much either way what happens to him. Whether he makes the team, gets waived and buried in the minors, or gets waived and picked up by another team.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Right..I should have put it in a separate post..I was just throwing the question out there...
Oh. The word "really" in that sentence made it sound like you thought I was implying that.

I don't think he would get picked up, but I don't think that's such a sure thing that it wouldn't still be a risk. I agree with Ronning on Empty that there's nothing to lose to keep him up, it's just common sense asset management considering the other options, but again, I don't really care what happens to him, as I see him as an inconsequential player that I don't really see much upside in and have never been able to work up any enthusiasm for. If he surprises somewhere else, then, fine, whatever.

Personally, I feel like the Hansen for Goldobin trade negated the Burrows for Dahlen trade (which I thought was great, obviously), and I kind of just view it as Hansen+Burrows for Dahlen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

On the surface of things, there isn't enough skill on this roster to justify waiving Goldobin. This is a bad team. It's also overloaded with depth players. He should make it on that fact alone. Him being cut would be upsetting in that regard.

When it comes to camp, it's never been a good enough context to judge worthy vs. unworthy. When someone sees a prospect get cut, this is often incorrectly deemed as the prospect "failing" to make the roster. It's actually rushing to judgement on a short sample. That's how mistakes get made. That's how Virtanen+McCann get graduated early, only to fall flat, or how Grabner gets waived on his way to breaking out elsewhere. It's a foolish rationale that I still see getting pushed here. These posters need the coach to be the arbiter of good play vs bad play.

Goldobin has put in his time in the AHL. He's paid his dues. He's had flashes of offense in the NHL. He's also been bad defensively. We know the warts in his game. We also know that 4th liners are generally place holders. Goldobin has to be there over these types of players. Otherwise, what's the point in taking a chance on these reclamation players?

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad