Training Camp Surprises

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Just like Del Zotto is. All the time.

Watching tape of Del Zotto in the defensive zone is heart attack inducing.
MDZ has a decent balance between offensive abilities and gritty acts in the D zone. His coverage and zone exits are laughable

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fascinated to see how Palmu, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Jasek do at camp. My training camp surprise would be 1 or more of this group making a strong case to make the opening night roster. Gaudette and Dahlen would be the leading candidates, but I also wouldn’t rule out Palmu making real noise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Gritty acts that accomplish nothing. He bleeds shots and chances against.

Like he is literally one of the worst defensmen defensively in the NHL.
I dont disagree with you, but with our weird mash-up of defensemen his grittyness is appreciated. Gudbranson doesnt show half of what MDZ does in that regard. Hopefully, very hopefully MDZ gets traded for something this year. A 3rd would be great

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The chances of getting a third rounder for MDZ is somewhere between 'wishing, hoping and praying' for a diving miracle. If the Canucks put him on waivers to send him to Utica, there wouldn't be any takers either.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The chances of getting a third rounder for MDZ is somewhere between 'wishing, hoping and praying' for a diving miracle. If the Canucks put him on waivers to send him to Utica, there wouldn't be any takers either.
If the likes of Kempny/Holden/Davidson/Cole/Beaulieu can be traded for a 3rd and Joe Morrow returns a 4th, a 3rd for Delly is realistic

Reactions: sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
But you have to consider who is doing the trading.......
I suppose if some team were to run into a spate of injuries on their blueline, they might take a flyer on MDZ. But usually that team is 'the Canucks' every year. Maybe closer to the deadline, desperation might set in for somebody. However the poster is right. For whatever reason Jimbo just never seems to be able to take advantage of those teams in distress.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It really almost feels like management is RELYING on a couple of our regular forwards to have injuries to start the season, in order to get a couple of our young guns a look at playing time in the NHL. That's the only thing that makes sense considering the logjam of forwards gumming up the system.

I mean... We do indeed usually start the season with at least one or two players on the IR, and spend much of the season that way too. Maybe they're just finally accepting it as part of their roster plan.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'm just excited to see the off the radar for roster spots kids do in training camp. Players like Palmu, Jasek, Lind, Dahlen. If they look good and can compete with the NHLers, it makes me more excited to hopefully see them later in the season when injuries hit and hopefully players are traded.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm just excited to see the off the radar for roster spots kids do in training camp. Players like Palmu, Jasek, Lind, Dahlen. If they look good and can compete with the NHLers, it makes me more excited to hopefully see them later in the season when injuries hit and hopefully players are traded.

I'm like the opposite of you...
My expectation for those prospect types is always set to the default of 'Big bucket of Meh'.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kinda progression the kids have made (Horvat, Virtanen, etc)... and what is Pettersson..

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
A real training camp surprise would be Goldobin making the team out of camp because of merit and not due to injuries.

Reactions: Literally

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army predicting a "Chris Tavev' type of development for Jalen Chatfield. Right shot d-man. Great skater, but limited offense. Might last longer in camp than many think.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Aquilini wakes up and realizes what the mgmt team has wrought and fires Benning, Weisbrod and anybody else he can name. The Canucks truly begin the re-build.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Canucks Army predicting a "Chris Tavev' type of development for Jalen Chatfield. Right shot d-man. Great skater, but limited offense. Might last longer in camp than many think.
Really? That would be a FANTASTIC suprise :yo:

Will be keeping an eye on Chatty

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Ironic considering how much they hated the Chatfield/MacEwen signings at the time.

But yes, Chatfield looks like a player. Excellent skater, smart positionally, high compete level.

Not saying he'll turn out like Nate Schmidt did this year, but he has a very similar skillset to Schmidt that plays very well in today's NHL.

Reactions: billvanseattle

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Ironic considering how much they hated the Chatfield/MacEwen signings at the time.

But yes, Chatfield looks like a player. Excellent skater, smart positionally, high compete level.

Not saying he'll turn out like Nate Schmidt did this year, but he has a very similar skillset to Schmidt that plays very well in today's NHL.

Hard to believe we are talking like this about a player who didn't make our top 20 prospects ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad