Training Camp Surprises

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any predictions on who surprises at training camp and sticks right to the end? My vote(s) are for Gaudettte up-front and Chatfield on the blueline.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Any predictions on who surprises at training camp and sticks right to the end? My vote(s) are for Gaudettte up-front and Chatfield on the blueline.

By "sticks right to the end" do you mean stays on the roster to start the season, or simply that they're a late cut? If the latter, it'll be no surprise if Gaudette fits that category.

My surprise call is Jasek.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No one because there will be no space and they won't waive veterans. Who gets called up first when injuries hit might be the better question.

I think we lose Gaunce or Goldobin to waivers though.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I could see Schaller getting waived, just to prove a point that "no one is safe", only for him to go unclaimed and to be the first call-up the moment someone else is injured. Aside from that, probably not much that could be surprising?

Reactions: travis scott

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Jay beagle comes in out of shape from a late playoff run and a offseason of partying. He struggles and looks bad in training camp but by mid year he is a passable overpaid 4th liner

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Gadjovich might stick. He's only twenty but he has Dorsett qualities.

I mention this kid because he fits a role and because I don't think the Canucks mind losing a few guys on waivers. Really, I'm relying on Green in this scenario. I don't think he agrees to carry deadweight. He doesn't seem to award TOI for reputation.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
i thought schaller would not be ready for camp after his hand surgery

He'll be ready for camp just the surgery may effect his training prior to camp.

Schaller also has a hand injury sustained at the end of last season that required surgery. It’s expected to keep him out for three months, meaning he should be available at the start of training camp, but it could affect his off-season training.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No one because there will be no space and they won't waive veterans. Who gets called up first when injuries hit might be the better question.

I think we lose Gaunce or Goldobin to waivers though.
I hope Goldoblin comes in and kills it,then Benning is forced to move Gagner..but Goldoblin has to demonstrate that he is worthy of an NHL spot..If not,I'm not going to lose any sleep that he is on waivers..

Gaunce and Biega will most likely both go on waivers.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I hope Goldoblin comes in and kills it,then Benning is forced to move Gagner..but Goldoblin has to demonstrate that he is worthy of an NHL spot..If not,I'm not going to lose any sleep that he is on waivers..

Gaunce and Biega will most likely both go on waivers.
Id bet Juolevi has an okay camp but isnt ready and needs AHL seasoning. That lets us not lose what defensive depth we kind of have and can keep Biega as our 8D.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Palmu is a guy who will look great in camp, but won't make the team.

Think Gadjovich is a bust as well. A man amongst boys in junior. Won't have that luxury anymore at just 6'1 and I don't think he has the foot speed to keep up.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I'm gonna say Gagner gets badly outplayed in camp and then gets waived. Then again he was never scratched last season, we'll see if he gets less leeway in his 2nd year.

I also predict Beagle will get outplayed by Gaudette but will still make the team over him given how these things usually go.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
An actual training camp surprise would be cutting bait on vets who don't perform for any rookies whatsoever who do perform. But that won't happen.

Pettersson will be given a lot of rope but everyone else has basically zero chance.

I think Gaudette will look good but again, he has no chance.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Very curious if Sautner can show that his run of NHL play last year wasn’t just a fluke. Would definitely be a pleasant surprise if he was one of our 7-8 best defensemen in camp, though admittedly the competition is thin.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
An actual training camp surprise would be cutting bait on vets who don't perform for any rookies whatsoever who do perform. But that won't happen.

Pettersson will be given a lot of rope but everyone else has basically zero chance.

I think Gaudette will look good but again, he has no chance.

The variable here is injuries. It wouldn't be a surprise for one veteran forward and one of the vets on d to be out when the season starts.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
A surprise for me would be Pettersson at the very least not getting the nine game looksy-lou.

Another surprise, or better yet relief, would be OJ having a stellar camp...regardless of making the team right away... "that would just be creme f***in' brule".

(brain fart... where did that quote come from? Driving me nuts)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of taking liberties with the topic here but every year there seems to a surprise or two when it comes to PTO's invited to camp. Usually guys from out of nowhere that no one had anywhere near their radar. Nolan? Where the hell did that come from? Almost impossible to predict.

Usually just a warm body to spark competition and for the player to showcase himself to the rest of the league.... Hansen might have been wise to go this route. The K will still be there in October.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here.

Leipsic looked like Marchand some nights, and then looked like a clueless ECHL level talent other nights. Hell he looked like both on the same night at times.

If Green has any potential to be more than an average coach, this is the kind of player he should bring consistency to.

Could be a 2nd line pest long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad