Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Roster & Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I would like to see (and maybe this will happen) Monty get regular AHL time between games. he's not going to play much, don't want to see his development stalled.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I would like to see (and maybe this will happen) Monty get regular AHL time between games. he's not going to play much, don't want to see his development stalled.

Not sure what could be our options for the #2 goalie, but I wouldn't be surprised if Monty plays all year in he AHL.

If the organization sees Monty as a future #1, he should be playing full time in the AHL this year

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure what could be our options for the #2 goalie, but I wouldn't be surprised if Monty plays all year in he AHL.

If the organization sees Monty as a future #1, he should be playing full time in the AHL this year

I wouldn't pencil Monty as a future starter in the NHL since he hasn't put up decent numbers in the AHL, not to mention in the NHL, so far. At this stage he's not even a reliable NHL backup. We're putting too much hope on a 22yo kid. On the other hand, there really aren't many backup goalies available even via trade. If Bobby Rovsky steps on a lego and has to spend 10 games or so at the sick bay then that's it for the Cats.

Ofc the guy is young 'n all that but personally I don't see a future starter in him. Should be a decent backup down the line tho.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I wouldn't pencil Monty as a future starter in the NHL since he hasn't put up decent numbers in the AHL, not to mention in the NHL, so far. At this stage he's not even a reliable NHL backup. We're putting too much hope on a 22yo kid. On the other hand, there really aren't many backup goalies available even via trade. If Bobby Rovsky steps on a lego and has to spend 10 games or so at the sick bay then that's it for the Cats.

Ofc the guy is young 'n all that but personally I don't see a future starter in him. Should be a decent backup down the line tho.

I agree,

And I think he needs more time in the AHL. Playing a lot of hockey and be "dominant".

He won't progress playing 20 games with the big club.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Driedger, unless we acquire someone else (seems unlikely).
Desrosiers is probably the weakest of our goalie group and Bednard (while promising) is not ready.

Still wondering if Monty gets claimed by Seattle (as of now it seems it's either him or a Dman).

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Here's a quote from Pierre LeBrun from the Athletic this morning about how there's lots of dmen available right now and it's a good time to go shopping.

"One source suggested Thursday that the Florida Panthers covet a shutdown, left-side D. It doesn’t sound like something that has any urgency to it but it is an organizational wish list item for this season. The Panthers have the smooth-skating Keith Yandle and Mike Matheson on the left side but would like to also add a more stay-at-home, shutdown type on the left."

Hopefully we're not done tinkering with this defense...but I'm not sure where we'd get the cap space. I think Pysyk, Malgin, Sceviour and (don't shoot me) Hoffman are the most likely candidates to go if we do a deal. Pysyk is obvious, he's overpaid for bottom pair and we have a couple guys ready to step up. Malgin still has trade value and just doesn't really fit on our roster. Sceviour I actually like, but he could create some room for us to add Hunt, Hawk, or Tippet, but doesn't save us much. Hoffman...I don't want to trade him, but he's got the biggest cap hit, his contract expires next year, doesn't have any immediate chemistry with anyone (like Dads with Barkov/Huber), and would get us the best return as trade bait.

But our top-4/top-5 defense is already locked in, unless we're looking to trade Matheson (doubt it given big contract, but who knows). So realistically, we're looking for a bottom pair left dman...but we have some guys ready to step up (I'm looking at Brown specifically at the moment) so I'm not sure why we would be doing that.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who do you guys think is backup goaltender this season? Bednard or montembeault? Maybe they pickup domingue off waivers?

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Who do you guys think is backup goaltender this season? Bednard or montembeault? Maybe they pickup domingue off waivers?

I think Monty has all but locked up the backup spot.

I think Driedger has a better shot to make the team then Bednard. He has not even played higher than College hockey. Desrosiers has a better shot than him based on that fact.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

If Bob gets hurt for ten games that’s it? Lmao.
I see You got too much sun this summer

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

I promise you no one in the franchise sees him as a future #1. He is extremely overrated by some on this board. He is a backup and that's just fine.

Also, putting your backup through vigorous travel just to get experience in hopes be pans out into something very likely won't be is terrible roster management imo.

He is a career backup at best who needs to stay up as backup. Plus, he will learn more from Bob than any AHL game this year.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I promise you no one in the franchise sees him as a future #1. He is extremely overrated by some on this board. He is a backup and that's just fine.

Also, putting your backup through vigorous travel just to get experience in hopes be pans out into something very likely won't be is terrible roster management imo.

He is a career backup at best who needs to stay up as backup. Plus, he will learn more from Bob than any AHL game this year.

Oooooh boy, the fight is coming!!!

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 12.20.50.png

Reactions: CHGoalie27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad