Training Camp (It's over!)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like 2nd round picks have absurdly high trade value and they seem to work out pretty rarely. It's that gambler's chance that forces you to pick.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I feel like 2nd round picks have absurdly high trade value and they seem to work out pretty rarely. It's that gambler's chance that forces you to pick.

Bingo. Why settle for a 6 when you can roll the dice for a 10, even if it'll usually be a 1?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Auston Matthews is shredding the Swiss League already
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/auston-matthews-is-shredding-the-swiss-league-already/

Sucking might not be so bad.
I know he's playing against men but I wonder how it'll effect his game when he comes back to the smaller NA ice?

We will lose all three lotteries to teams below us. This is a mathematical certainty, since we are the Coyotes.
This man gets it. It is the way of the hockey world.

Feb 12, 2003
This is the year they need to figure out a way to get Tkachuk and Matthews. Hopefully they can dump some vets at the deadline and maybe load up on some first rounders. Package a couple of those firsts to move up into the top 5. Then of course with Matthews and Tkachuk they'll announce they are moving to Seattle at the end of the 2016-2017 season so it will all be a moot point.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Consolation at 4 is Tkachuk.

Obviously not quite the talent that Matthews is, but this could be every bit as interesting a story. With all the NHL bloodlines in the system now, it would be great to have the son of the franchise's best forward on the top line.

rt

May 13, 2004
Keep an eye on Mike McLeod. He's a center like Strome, but is a rightie who's all about speed, dangle and flash. Could be a great compliment to Strome as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Total contrasts in style could make match-ups a nightmare for the opposition.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keep an eye on Mike McLeod. He's a center like Strome, but is a rightie who's all about speed, dangle and flash. Could be a great compliment to Strome as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Total contrasts in style could make match-ups a nightmare for the opposition.

I'll mentally prepare for picking outside the top 3 when it comes to that.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Consolation at 4 is Tkachuk.

Keith Tkachuk is my all time favorite player, and I would love if we drafted his kid, so that won't happen either. Someone will reach and take him at 3, because we are the Coyotes and we will never have nice things.

Feb 12, 2003
Would it make sense to do Chip+Vitale for Brickell with Chicago? Chicago saves money and we clear some drift wood that allows another of the rookies to make the team. Chicago actually saves $2m depending how you look at it, so maybe they add.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would it make sense to do Chip+Vitale for Brickell with Chicago? Chicago saves money and we clear some drift wood that allows another of the rookies to make the team. Chicago actually saves $2m depending how you look at it, so maybe they add.

I had a similar thought. I was thinking something involved in leveraging a early draft pick as well.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
How much is late first round pick worth in real dollars?

Vitale + Chip = $2M (this year) and $1.3M next year

Bickell = $4.5M (this year) and $4.5M next year + the salary of whichever rookie

Let's say it's Vitale + Chip for Bickell + 1st round pick. That's around $6M for a first round pick.

Additionally, I don't see how that swap makes us either a) a playoff team or b) bad enough to bottom out in the standings.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Salary difference this year is about 2.6 and another 3.2 next year, unless Chicago retains. Would need to include a pretty nice asset I think.

Let's say we subtract Chip and Vitale and add Bickell. Is our fourth line still Martinook-Gordon-Downie? Where does Bickell fit?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Not a fair deal for us unless it included a 1st round pick. Have to remember IceArizona wants to spend the least amount of money possible. $2 million extra in a non-essential player is not something they want to do.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Keith Tkachuk is my all time favorite player, and I would love if we drafted his kid, so that won't happen either. Someone will reach and take him at 3, because we are the Coyotes and we will never have nice things.

Haha we're such a beaten down fan base. :help:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I caught last ten minutes of London Windsor game tonight.

Tkachuk looked very good. Max Jones was more of a bull in a china shop whereas Tkachuks game is much more refined.

Dvorak had 4 points and looks like a Patrick Sharp 2nd line C. Fischer looks like a impact power forward as well. Going to be a very good pro.

rt

May 13, 2004
How much is late first round pick worth in real dollars?

Vitale + Chip = $2M (this year) and $1.3M next year

Bickell = $4.5M (this year) and $4.5M next year + the salary of whichever rookie

Let's say it's Vitale + Chip for Bickell + 1st round pick. That's around $6M for a first round pick.

Additionally, I don't see how that swap makes us either a) a playoff team or b) bad enough to bottom out in the standings.

Salary difference this year is about 2.6 and another 3.2 next year, unless Chicago retains. Would need to include a pretty nice asset I think.

Let's say we subtract Chip and Vitale and add Bickell. Is our fourth line still Martinook-Gordon-Downie? Where does Bickell fit?

To AZ:
Bickell(15% retained)
CHI 1st

To CHI:
Chipchura
AZ 3rd

To Contender:
Bickell (50% retained)

To AZ:
Contender 3rd

Chicago can burry 100% of Chipchura's contact in the AHL. Bickell's cap hit is reduced to 600k.

AZ ends up eating 1.9 this year and next in real dollars. We get a 1st.

Contender gets Bickell for 1.7 in cap this year and next.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We will lose all three lotteries to teams below us. This is a mathematical certainty, since we are the Coyotes.

But having a Top 5 pick + Strome could be just enough to trade for the 1OV in 2016 should the Coyotes don't win the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad