Training camp chat

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Honestly, were would you play Boyle. I don't think he's needed.

Agreed, don't really see a spot for him.

Good locker room presence but I think he's about done in the NHL. I'd like to see some hungrier, younger guys down in the lineup.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think bringing back Boyle and dropping Bonino is a good option. We get cheaper. You play Turris on a higher line, improve his value and then maybe get back something for him. Next year you don't have any of the 3 and you can do whatever you want with the cap/roster spots.

Edit: Dropping = Minimal trade, not waive

Last edited:

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I think bringing back Boyle and dropping Bonino is a good option. We get cheaper. You play Turris on a higher line, improve his value and then maybe get back something for him. Next year you don't have any of the 3 and you can do whatever you want with the cap/roster spots.

I like this! Bonino gives us nothing special in his play. Neither does Boyle but he is cheaper and much bigger! Boyle is kinda intimidating with his size, which we lack!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I did have several people this offseason argue with me that Poile specifically requested Santini in the trade because he thought he was good.
That was definitely a thing which happened. And now we see the real truth. Santini was indeed just a cap dump from the NJ side of things. :P

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Edit: Dropping = Minimal trade, not waive
You don't need any moves to add Boyle. We didn't need any even before waiving Santini. But now that's happened we have more than ample room to just add Boyle outright, no need to move Bonino. And Bonino is good. I wouldn't move him just for fun. He's not flashy, but a very solid player all-round. The team could sign Boyle now and sit on a $2M cushion.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Waiver experts correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think a player only needs to clear waivers every 30 days or 10 NHL games played. So it could be that Poile is just putting everyone he thinks won't go claimed on waivers now so he can call up or send down any of them for the next 30 days without having to worry about anyone getting claimed. I assume that the odds of someone getting claimed on waivers now are lower than when the season starts since teams are in theory healthier then the will be all season.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That was a thing that happened because NJ's GM stated such. People didn't just pull it out of thin air.
i.e. Because some people chose to believe an NHL GM saying something nice against all objective evidence to the contrary. Fair enough, but people should know that NHL GMs are not prone to making honest statements to the public if they don't have to.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
i.e. Because some people chose to believe an NHL GM saying something nice against all objective evidence to the contrary. Fair enough, but people should know that NHL GMs are not prone to making honest statements to the public if they don't have to.
No, but it's a heck of a lot more accurate than some armchair internet GM.

Odds are Poile had an option, he figured he could at least beat out Irwin and if he couldn't he could bury him in the AHL for minimal cap hit, thus increasing the overall cap savings gained from that trade.

Basically we offloaded 9 million and retained 300k cap wise, that's probably why he wanted him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No, but it's a heck of a lot more accurate than some armchair internet GM.

Odds are Poile had an option, he figured he could at least beat out Irwin and if he couldn't he could bury him in the AHL for minimal cap hit, thus increasing the overall cap savings gained from that trade.

Basically we offloaded 9 million and retained 300k cap wise, that's probably why he wanted him.
Riiiight... a cap dump. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Riiiight... a cap dump. :dunno:
I don't think it was strictly a cap dump though, I think Poile thought he could at least make the roster, pushing at least Irwin or Weber out.

I think he thought Carr could too, but that's not looking so great either. I think both were probably Poile's yearly stab at a reclamation project, they just weren't older like they normally are.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We're all looking at these wingers, but some of the chatter on Biega has me thinking that it would be worth giving him a look over Weber. On the other hand, why couldn't he make the Canucks?

There are about 20 NHL teams that should be all over Alex Biega, who is a dirt cheap, very effective RHD who has been incredibly unfairly typecast as a '#7-8 guy' despite consistently outplaying everyone but Edler and Tanev for the last 3 years.

Biega has consistently destroyed 3rd pairing minutes for the past several years and generated outstanding results at both ends of the rink. The guy is a regular NHLer, or should be. Period.

Like, he's scored more ES points in his last 82 games than any other Canuck defender, including Edler and Myers. He puts pucks toward goal nearly 50% more often than any other Canuck defender. He's rock solid defensively and hits like a truck despite his size.

In his last 85 games, he has 25 points (basically all ES) and has churned out a positive goal differential behind one of the worst teams in the NHL. And was playing 17-18 minutes last year, not '10-15'.

I love that guy. He plays hard every night.

Alex Biega played 18 minutes a night last year and was nlre than serviceable. His ATOI from prior seasons is probably lowered by the fact he has filled in for the Canucks 4th line from time to time. He's a good option for a teams bottom pair

Reactions: King Weber

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We're all looking at these wingers, but some of the chatter on Biega has me thinking that it would be worth giving him a look over Weber. On the other hand, why couldn't he make the Canucks?

He couldn’t make the Canucks because we’re a clown show.

Having watched both Weber and Biega play 100+ games as a Canuck, Biega is a better player by a mile. At everything except the PP, but you guys don’t play Weber at the PP.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Opening night roster is here. Looks like we're rolling with 22 guys. Guess that will save us some cap room later on in the season?

I guess, but if Tolvanen or Pitlick make there way up at some point where would any new additions play? The forward group is pretty full, and unless Fabbro falls on his face there would only be one spot on defense even possibly available (Weber's). That is a lot of deadline space for possibly one defensemen and maybe a bit of depth.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You don't need any moves to add Boyle. We didn't need any even before waiving Santini. But now that's happened we have more than ample room to just add Boyle outright, no need to move Bonino. And Bonino is good. I wouldn't move him just for fun. He's not flashy, but a very solid player all-round. The team could sign Boyle now and sit on a $2M cushion.

Is the Great Santini coming to Milwaukee?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad