GDT: Training Camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lmao

starting the season shorthanded without two of your better dmen and playing two LHD on the bottom pairing against two of the best teams in the league

f***in brilliant preparation

Also already 'just an adjustment' turned into day-to-day and now longer/indefinite, you can't make this stuff up, all our half-jokes keep coming true

I WANT to enjoy this team but the f***ing incompetence just keeps coming

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Why would we have a kid like Turcotte or Thomas when we could have Lewis on the 2nd line and play shorthanded?

You just don't understand good management

Not sure why folks are getting caught up in which is the 2nd or 3rd line here, clearly Lewis is the right fit for Danault's line given the options available.

Reactions: David Lunch

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Lmao

starting the season shorthanded without two of your better dmen and playing two LHD on the bottom pairing against two of the best teams in the league

Also already 'just an adjustment' turned into day-to-day and now longer/indefinite, you can't make this stuff up, all our half-jokes keep coming true

Now, now, there are also ten other teams that keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Mayor was right, if the Kings trade Lizotte they open the way for two players instead of one.

Kings can insert JAD or Turcotte at 4C and also have an extra forward and extra D.

So essentially JAD and Bjornfot could be healthy scratches and Kings can call up JAD, Turcotte, and Spence.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Arvidsson being hurt more than day-to-day explains why they aren't sending down Kaliyev for Turcotte/Thomas. They'd have to wait weeks for Arvy to return which means waiting weeks for Kaliyev to serve his time which means Spence rotting even longer in the AHL.

Question is, if Arvy is gonna be out that long then why not just LTIR him which would solve all our problems? Just watch them retroactively LTIR him next week after we've gotten blasted with a shorthanded roster.

Reactions: tny760

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Arvidsson being hurt more than day-to-day explains why they aren't sending down Kaliyev for Turcotte/Thomas. They'd have to wait weeks for Arvy to return which means waiting weeks for Kaliyev to serve his time which means Spence rotting even longer in the AHL.

Question is, if Arvy is gonna be out that long then why not just LTIR him which would solve all our problems? Just watch them retroactively LTIR him next week after we've gotten blasted with a shorthanded roster.
If he gets LTIR’d there’s a minimum time he needs to be out for. I’m presuming they expect him back soon (ish) or it’s too early to know.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If he gets LTIR’d there’s a minimum time he needs to be out for. I’m presuming they expect him back soon (ish) or it’s too early to know.

minimum 10 games AND 24(?) calendar days

But this is where the lack of flexibility really hurts, guys getting banged up and others having to play fatigued. It's not 'oh no we have 21/23,' it's 'oh no we have 21/23, one is hurt but not LTIR eligible, one is suspended, and now we have to play just whoever fits without losing them to waivers.'

When you would normally bench a guy for a game or two so others that are fresher can get some looks, instead you have to play short and everyone suffers for it.

It's not like that's gong to increase Grundstrom/Lizotte's ice time either (god forbid we have Turcotte/Thomas there getting some minutes), it just means Kopitar is gonna play 25, if history is any indication. And Doughty 30 with Bjornfot 10.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
No offense but thats utter nonsense.
Far fetched conclusion based on nothing.
One barely played for LA and the other had to do everything on his own.

Here people are anyhow obsessed with comparisons, especially when the nationality is the same.
Huh? Palffy is from Slovakia and Fiala is from Switzerland. Unless you meant Dubois and Allison who are both Canadian like half of the league.

And I think it’s a pretty good comparison. Trading a top prospect for a highly skilled, flashy winger when the team had plenty of other holes, and trading quantity for a big center who’s known to be a headcase.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Huh? Palffy is from Slovakia and Fiala is from Switzerland. Unless you meant Dubois and Allison who are both Canadian like half of the league.

And I think it’s a pretty good comparison. Trading a top prospect for a highly skilled, flashy winger when the team had plenty of other holes, and trading quantity for a big center who’s known to be a headcase.
Yes not in this case, just in general (nationality). Was thinking again of that comparison of Fagemo and Alfredsson from a couple of days ago.

Holes aside or if you agree with the trade. Point was, you said both Allison and Palffy would not get you far on their own. Neither will McDavid and Draisaitl.

Put them with slightly better players and they have a Cup or would get close to a Cup. They are not of the level (better) of Fiala and PLD. The circumstances can not be compared.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

But this is where the lack of flexibility really hurts, guys getting banged up and others having to play fatigued. It's not 'oh no we have 21/23,' it's 'oh no we have 21/23, one is hurt but not LTIR eligible, one is suspended, and now we have to play just whoever fits without losing them to waivers.'

When you would normally bench a guy for a game or two so others that are fresher can get some looks, instead you have to play short and everyone suffers for it.

It's not like that's gong to increase Grundstrom/Lizotte's ice time either (god forbid we have Turcotte/Thomas there getting some minutes), it just means Kopitar is gonna play 25, if history is any indication. And Doughty 30 with Bjornfot 10.
Yep, thanks! (just wasted time looking it up :laugh:).

The stupid thing that is have a guy or two (out of the mid to higher paid players) spend some time on LTIR may be what we actually need to avoid having the risks around injury and fatigue. The situation we are in and being part of the plan is not good management and nobody can seriously thinks it is, even if they won’t admit it.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d like to think that when the use an emergency recall for game 2 that it’ll be a forward that comes up. I presume JAD and although I think Turcotte had a stronger camp given he has a slightly higher cap hit probably not him.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

They should just LTIR him. It's the loophole everyone uses (except for the Kings). Who cares if he becomes healthy before than. Let him take some extra time and not rush him back. It also gives the team cap room to start and spots to play the kids. It's a win-win for everyone.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Speaking of LTIR...isn't it interesting the teams that are league favorites, excellent talent and ballsy (Vegas, TB, Chicago) are the ones who have mastered getting out of bad contracts and/or cap hell by manipulating LTIR.
Why the f*** haven't the Kings ever used this to their advantage?
Now would be a great time.
Don't mention Richards...we got a deal but still have had to pay up the ass...others get away scot free.
So frustrating.
Also, this league badly needs a rule making playoffs count under the cap.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Lmao

Look at the bright side, kids get to play.

Speaking of kids playing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Look at the bright side, kids get to play.

Speaking of kids playing.

Kids?

Just Toby and Laf. No Turcotte, Thomas, Spence, Clarke. Lewis in the top six. Englund on his wrong side, handicapping an already struggling Toby.

The bright side re: kids is Laf, almost everything else is a last minute clusterf*** of strategizing through hope. And we'll see if they actually play him more than 10 minutes, I'm willing to get he gets the 4th line treatment and either Grundstrom or Lizotte moves into his spot.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The 4th line and their paychecks is the least of the Kings problems.
I disagree. When you are paying 2 guys 2.9 million combined to play limited minutes that are replaced by guys like JAD and Laf or Turcotte for 1.1 million less a year makes a huge difference.

We are paying our top three center 24 million a year and they will play on average 54 to 56 minutes a night. Do we really need the little guy at 1.6 mil a year mopping up the remaining 5 ish minutes?

Would rather have a physical low minute guy that can protect their teamates and is defensively responsible out there causing havoc.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Blake should honestly trade Roy for a goalie, toughness or futures. Doubtful they can re-sign him, he’s 28 and this will be last chance at a payday. And they need the cap space to acquire a goalie next season. Also now Spence and Clarke get their playing time.
I posed the question earlier in the thread. What goalie do we get for Roy. He makes 3.15 a year and we have no extra money.

If we replace Roy w Clarke we free up about $2.25 mil a year and whatever goalie goes out I. The trades salary. So no more the. $3.75 mil.

What goalie is out there, that is an upgrade that makes under $3.75 a year and may be traded.

I can’t make a match unless a Nashville retains on Saros and we bite the bullet and include Kaliyev w Roy and one of the goalies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I disagree. When you are paying 2 guys 2.9 million combined to play limited minutes that are replaced by guys like JAD and Laf or Turcotte for 1.1 million less a year makes a huge difference.

We are paying our top three center 24 million a year and they will play on average 54 to 56 minutes a night. Do we really need the little guy at 1.6 mil a year mopping up the remaining 5 ish minutes?

Would rather have a physical low minute guy that can protect their teamates and is defensively responsible out there causing havoc.
I dunno, maybe paying $25 million to three centers might be a bigger issue than a $1.8 million savings by replacing Lizotte and Lewis.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I posed the question earlier in the thread. What goalie do we get for Roy. He makes 3.15 a year and we have no extra money.

If we replace Roy w Clarke we free up about $2.25 mil a year and whatever goalie goes out I. The trades salary. So no more the. $3.75 mil.

What goalie is out there, that is an upgrade that makes under $3.75 a year and may be traded.

I can’t make a match unless a Nashville retains on Saros and we bite the bullet and include Kaliyev w Roy and one of the goalies.

Closest is Hart who makes 3.9. But the idea is the team won’t really contend and they’ll probably lose Roy for nothing in the off season unless he’s willing to sign for like 4x4. And even they trade Roy for picks the Kings are 2 week to week injuries not being able to put on the IR away from being screwed.

Reactions: funky

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I keep pointing this out to all the "go with Turcotte" folks, but nobody seems to understand that your 4th line isn't just the best players on your team who couldn't make your top 9. That's the bullshit they have been trying with Kaliyev and Kupari. Do none of you remember just how badly the 4th line was caved in by Edmonton? It was almost an automatic goal against in last years series.

The best 4th lines stop the momentum of the opposition and change it to set the table for your best players to come on in more advantageous situations. You don't get that by throwing in loose change kids or knuckle busters. You get it by high effort, smart, safe plays without having passengers who are waiting to be fed or creative playmakers looking to take risks.

Lizotte and Lewis are high-end role players. This is FINALLY an area of strength for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille