GDT: Training Camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The cap issues are from overpaying on yearly cap hit for elite scrubs.

Danault, overpaid by $500k.
Anderson, $1M
Gavrikov, $1M
Moore, $1.5M

These add up to an outsized effect, which eclipse the small overpays to Grundstrom and Lizotte. Some could argue the Kempe, Arvidsson and Roy deals are true values and offset the overpayments. But then you factor in the albatrosses of the Kopitar and Doughty deals, and it’s clear how things are sunk from the get go.

And for anyone trying to argue away the issues due to excuses rooted in long winded context. This analysis ignores the complete toilet flushes of money from Petersen and Walker. None of those were judged poorly by the majority at the time. In hindsight, it’s evidence that overpaying before results is a great way to waste time and money.

Reactions: tbrown33 and funky

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Anderson, $1M
Gavrikov, $1M
Moore, $1.5M

These add up to an outsized effect, which eclipse the small overpays to Grundstrom and Lizotte. Some could argue the Kempe, Arvidsson and Roy deals are true values and offset the overpayments. But then you factor in the albatrosses of the Kopitar and Doughty deals, and it’s clear how things are sunk from the get go.

And for anyone trying to argue away the issues due to excuses rooted in long winded context. This analysis ignores the complete toilet flushes of money from Petersen and Walker. None of those were judged poorly by the majority at the time. In hindsight, it’s evidence that overpaying before results is a great way to waste time and money.

Are we just making stuff up here? How did you get to the position that those 4 players are overpaid?

Reactions: kings11

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The 4th line and their paychecks is the least of the Kings problems.

But it is. They were manhandled last year, especially in the playoff. Grundstrom was terrible in the playoffs, and is a penalty machine. His 1st shift, slashes mcdavid, and the Kings are down a goal. They're small , soft and get out played by bigger guys. Its one of the many problems not addressed.

Reactions: funky

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Anderson, $1M
Gavrikov, $1M
Moore, $1.5M
Yep, add Dubois (and Iafallo for that matter). Arvidsson and Roy will join the list shortly. When you have every important player added in or close to UFA it's no wonder they can't field a full team.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Sure....Stutzle. The guy I wanted us to pick. But what am I going to do? Change history? Literally zero point in doing the "But Stutzle" argument. We have Byfield, we can't change that, and he's still young enough to improve on the score sheet drastically.
yeah, but it's fun to whine about it on a daily basis.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Murray was absolutely nails before his injuries, he was a high-pedigree goalie and a stud-in-waiting for anyone that was paying attention, this would be like being suprised if Askarov of Wallstedt debuted hot. MAF is a roller coaster, sure, but no one would say he wasn't a top-10 goalie.
Holtby was absolutely an elite goalie.
Binnington was lightning in a bottle resurrecting a Blues team that was dead last. That was a prayer, not a plan.
Vas is a top goalie.
Kuemper's save percentage is good for 20th all time and 6th amongst active goalies--he's not a hall of famer but when he's healthy he's a stud and underrated.
Adin Hill, like Binnington, wasn't a plan, he was 4th man up, 5th if you count Quick's attempt.

All of those Cup teams entered those seasons with either an elite/top tier goalie or had one find lightning in a bottle after everything went wrong--not one of them PLANNED on having a mediocre goalie help them to the promised land, which is different between them and Rob Blake's lottery plan of trying out three scratchers and praying. The Blues had missed the playoffs the previous year and were a strong team but a 'surprise' champion and they started the season with Jake Allen. Vegas was a true contender who was entering the season with Lehner and Broissoit and when they were hurt they had a stud prospect in Thompson...it was only when he got hurt that Hill came in.

the biggest myth in the league is the 'you just need league average goaltending' thing that's been oddly persistent since 2010 when it's clearly the exception to the rule AND the exceptions weren't planned like "this is our guy" they were accidents teams fell into after their initial plans failed. And no one but Blake has gone out and gotten THREE .900 goaltenders on a budget and marched them out as a contender. When you're playing the best and the best and your teams are roughly evenly matched a goalie on fire can make a difference and you would think watching Quick bail us out in big moments for years would solidify that opinion. "just league average" goaltending is fine for one-off non-conference games in december but no one on earth is saying "yeah I'm so glad I have Dave Rittich for 7 games vs. Connor McDavid."
I can make a good argument that MA Fleury, Matt Murray, and Braden Holtby were not consensus top-10 goalies at the time. In 2017-18 when the Caps won the Cup, Holtby finished in the mid 20s in save % and in GAA. In 2015-16 when the Pens won their first Cup, Murray was not the main starter. At that time Marc-André Fleury was just inside the top 10 in save % and GAA. He then lost his job the next year with a >3 GAA.

Great goaltending is really important in winning the Cup, but it's not necessary to have a widely recognized top flight goalie going into the regular season. It's very, very difficult to predict which goaltender is going to catch fire in the playoffs.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think a video like this is a great refresher on Byfields capabilities. ALOT of these passes could have turned into goals but didn't. Too many of them in fact.

From this video, his capabilities appear to be that of an average NHL player… what am I missing? He has the ability to complete routine passes? The only impressive pass is the puck flip to Kempe for the breakaway goal. Is this really where we’re at? You could make this same video for literally anyone on the team.

• Haha
Reactions: VILARGOD

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
From this video, his capabilities appear to be that of an average NHL player… what am I missing? He has the ability to complete routine passes? The only impressive pass is the puck flip to Kempe for the breakaway goal. Is this really where we’re at? You could make this same video for literally anyone on the team.
His above average vision was definitely on display in this video. We have different opinions on him in general though, so, I am not surprised we disagree.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
One? There are several impressive plays in there. You can certainly see a deft touch and the ability to read the play. His IQ is good. His issue was and continues to be his confidence and being assertive. If he does that the points will come. He played an assertive game last night and people played down the goal due to a deflection whilst ignoring the fact that without the deflection it’s a likely goal for Kempe and it becomes a great assist.

We need to see more, we need that consistently but it’s not his talent that is the issue.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One? There are several impressive plays in there. You can certainly see a deft touch and the ability to read the play. His IQ is good. His issue was and continues to be his confidence and being assertive. If he does that the points will come. He played an assertive game last night and people played down the goal due to a deflection whilst ignoring the fact that without the deflection it’s a likely goal for Kempe and it becomes a great assist.

We need to see more, we need that consistently but it’s not his talent that is the issue.

He played great last night, I completely agree. But a video of passes, most of them not leading to goals, is purely copium related to our second overall pick not playing very well three years after he was drafted.

If we see more games from him like last night, we won’t be needing to post videos like this one. We’ll be posting goal highlights.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He played great last night, I completely agree. But a video of passes, most of them not leading to goals, is purely copium related to our second overall pick not playing very well three years after he was drafted.

If we see more games from him like last night, we won’t be needing to post videos like this one. We’ll be posting goal highlights.
I agree. I think my issue is the narrative as to why he’s not producing is my issue. I’m tired of hearing IQ as the problem when there were some very smart plays in there. The lack of finishing from a team mate does not diminish what he does. He shows his ability in flashes but doesn’t yet show it every shift, every game.

His problem has been being assertive and deferring too much… as Kempe used to do. I think in part at least that has been down to how he’s been handled (not trusted) and some degree his injury and health. High skilled guys that play off instinct (as he did in junior and once he was settled in the AHL) thrive on confidence. It’s no surprise that he went into his shell when he’d lose ice time when he made mistakes playing on the Kings. All that did is make him hold his stick tighter, focus in the system only etc. You can’t switch the confidence back on overnight unfortunately and that takes time. At every level it has taken QB some time to feel comfortable, it’s well documented and he’s admitted it himself. Its why I’ve said repeatedly that he needs to feel trusted by his coach or else it’ll never happen.

Getting him feeling comfortable started by moving him onto LW1 but it was always going to take time. It ultimately has to come from him though. Once he’s assertive consistently he’ll be fine and what I saw, for the first time yesterday, was that he looked like he was enjoying playing at the NHL level . That for me is a very good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad