Boston Bruins Training Camp 2022 ( schedule post #1)

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Given that Reilly is practicing, does that indicate the Bruins expect there is no waiver clam on him? Or is it more like, hey everyone should show up and if someone gets claimed we will deal with it at Noon? I mean would Reilly be immediately pulled off the ice? Seems awkward to say the least.
No one is taking Mke Reilly, we are stuck with him

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
According to CapFriendly, the Bruins recalled Matt Filipe last night to get them closer to the cap this morning and utilize LTIR, which further indicates what the Bruins did yesterday are just paper transactions. Remember, Sweeney did say waivers was a way of getting cap compliant, but it doesn't mean those players are heading to Providence.

Should someone get claimed, I'm sure they have a plan in place.
Like, I understand that LTIR let’s you exceed the cap by an amount equal to the cap hit of the guys who are on LTIR for as long as those guys are on LTIR.

But why are the Bruins trying to get as close to the cap max as possible right now? What’s the benefit?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Like, I understand that LTIR let’s you exceed the cap by an amount equal to the cap hit of the guys who are on LTIR for as long as those guys are on LTIR.

But why are the Bruins trying to get as close to the cap max as possible right now? What’s the benefit?
This is exactly the question I have been trying to ask. unless CHI allows us to borrow Kane until our guys get back or we trade for him and then flip him before guys return, this has no real benefit for us. The teams that benefit the most are the teams who have injuries late in the season, especially when the timeline for activation doves perfectly with game 1 of the playoffs.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The defense really needs McAvoy for everything to fall into place. But the forward lines are excellent even without Marchand.
I gotta say, I prefer Lindholm away from McAvoy.

With Mac, he’s a complimentary piece. Away from Mac he’s a dynamic play driver. He was all over the rink against NJ, the play seemed to run through him.

Plus, it means either Mac or Lindholm is on the ice the entire game.

If Monty agrees it could be the reason we’re seeing the Lindholm-Carlo pair so much.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is exactly the question I have been trying to ask. unless CHI allows us to borrow Kane until our guys get back or we trade for him and then flip him before guys return, this has no real benefit for us. The teams that benefit the most are the teams who have injuries late in the season, especially when the timeline for activation doves perfectly with game 1 of the playoffs.

I mean, come on. The Kane thing is just typical KPD spit balling about something that will never happen.

With Mac, he’s a complimentary piece. Away from Mac he’s a dynamic play driver. He was all over the rink against NJ, the play seemed to run through him.

If Monty agrees it could be the reason we’re seeing the Lindholm-Carlo pair so much.
So who plays with Charlie, old pal Gryz?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

But why are the Bruins trying to get as close to the cap max as possible right now? What’s the

LTIR lets you exceed the cap by the player's cap hit MINUS the available cap space you have when they put a player on LTIR.

So, if you have $1 million in space and you put a $2 million player on LTIR, you can only exceed the cap by $1 million not $2 million.

And the cap is calculated daily. For this year, the daily cap is $445,946 ($82.5 million /185 days)

By placing Marchand alone on LTIR, they are allowed to exceed their cap hit by $33,000 per day.

If they did not call up Filipe, their new daily cap max would be about 473,946

By calling him up and maximizing it they can go to about 477,946 and that is after sending Filipe back down so his cap hit isn't even counting.

I know that $4000 a day doesn't sound like much, but let's say Pastrnak goes down for an injury a week before McAvoy and Marchand are activated and he won't be out for more than a week. That $4000 now allows you to call up a player like McLaughlin.

So yeah, maximizing is important.

That's about as non complicated as I can make it.

GForce128

Feb 14, 2012
Colchester, VT
They don't get it. And they're so overly defensive all the time it's tiresome.

If we want to subjective this is more of an issue of the fact that the bruins didn't make a pick greater than 30th during those 3 years.

Here are the total games played from picks 1st-29th for the '18, '19, and '20 draft classes using Elite Prospects as a source.

2018: 2972 games played by 1st-29th
2019: 1626 games played by 1st-29th
2020: 885 games played by 1st-29th

So this is about giving away two 1sts and a 2nd over the course of 3 years.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I mean, come on. The Kane thing is just typical KPD spit balling about something that will never happen.

So who plays with Charlie, old pal Gryz?
I think you missed my point. I was not advocating for the move or debating in Atsugi a realistic opportunity in any way. I don’t see how maximizing LTIR has a benefit for this team.

Btw I now better understand this idea of maximizing as it pertains to the Bruins. It’s about maximum flexibility for call ups while transitioning through the injuries. I believe this confirms that maximizing this space is not a benefit to the trade deadline or for bringing in outside players at this time.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If we want to subjective this is more of an issue of the fact that the bruins didn't make a pick greater than 30th during those 3 years.

Here are the total games played from picks 1st-29th for the '18, '19, and '20 draft classes using Elite Prospects as a source.

2018: 2972 games played by 1st-29th
2019: 1626 games played by 1st-29th
2020: 885 games played by 1st-29th

So this is about giving away two 1sts and a 2nd over the course of 3 years.
Yeah, and I'm tired of Neely and Sweeney. Looking forward to the day they both get booted to the curb.

I think you missed my point. I was not advocating for the move or debating in Atsugi a realistic opportunity in any way. I don’t see how maximizing LTIR has a benefit for this team.

I know. My ire was misdirected; I should have sent KPD a dead fish.

And then I should have called him and said, "Run up an alley and holler fish."

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

What about Lindholm with Stralman ? Maybe I’m overrating Stralman but the little I did see he looked smooth and seems to have enough skill to not be an anchor for Lindholm.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I agree with that. Lindholm can be a #2 defensemen and still be on the second pair. I just think the defense looks thin overall without McAvoy in the picture. With McAvoy, we are top 5 in the NHL. Without McAvoy, we are average. That's the difference a Norris candidate makes.

Reactions: PlayMakers

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
No one is taking Mke Reilly, we are stuck with him
I'm afraid this is the case. Figured if there was a market for him, he could've at least returned a late round pick. Unless all GMs knew this would be a great year to grab help on the waiver wire with so many teams up against the cap. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets taken. I don't hate the player (also don't love) but getting rid of one of him or Foligno would really help the cap situation when Mac+March come back, and we know no one is taking Foligno.

...Unless Tortorella wants him to work on the locker room/culture in Philly.

Reactions: GordonHowe

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
LTIR lets you exceed the cap by the player's cap hit MINUS the available cap space you have when they put a player on LTIR.

So, if you have $1 million in space and you put a $2 million player on LTIR, you can only exceed the cap by $1 million not $2 million.

And the cap is calculated daily. For this year, the daily cap is $445,946 ($82.5 million /185 days)

By placing Marchand alone on LTIR, they are allowed to exceed their cap hit by $33,000 per day.

If they did not call up Filipe, their new daily cap max would be about 473,946

By calling him up and maximizing it they can go to about 477,946 and that is after sending Filipe back down so his cap hit isn't even counting.

I know that $4000 a day doesn't sound like much, but let's say Pastrnak goes down for an injury a week before McAvoy and Marchand are activated and he won't be out for more than a week. That $4000 now allows you to call up a player like McLaughlin.

So yeah, maximizing is important.

That's about as non complicated as I can make it.
As always, much appreciated. Hope you're feeling better.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I feel like you saw Lauko first hand last year and I thought you were pretty down on him. Was I wrong or did he just have an incredible preseason in your eyes?

I don’t think I ever was overly down on him? Maybe someone else or I just don’t remember :laugh:

I think he had a very noticeable preseason. I liked his game and his willingness to finish checks. I wasn’t expecting him to make the team, and he still may very go to Providence, but over all options, he’s who I’d go with after seeing him this PS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad