Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If heinola isn't in your top 4 and getting 2 pp minutes then it's best for him to play on the Moose. He isn't makar or heiskanen who can step in immediately and make a difference. I think he's called up eventually as I feel we possibly see a trade of Dillon or Pionk this season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If heinola isn't in your top 4 and getting 2 pp minutes then it's best for him to play on the Moose. He isn't makar or heiskanen who can step in immediately and make a difference. I think he's called up eventually as I feel we possibly see a trade of Dillon or Pionk this season.
Would be interesting -- have we seen these Jets reverse themselves on a player they worked to bring in, a la Vegas?

Dillon maybe -- unless Pionk hits his contract year form we're likely to be adding or retaining on him.

Reactions: LowLefty

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Would be interesting -- have we seen these Jets reverse themselves on a player they worked to bring in, a la Vegas?

Dillon maybe -- unless Pionk hits his contract year form we're likely to be adding or retaining on him.
The 2 second round picks for Dillon stings.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the thing w/ dillon is he rates out quite favorably defensively prior to his year in WPG.... he was also paired quite a bit with either Pionk or Stanley, & they were both no bueno last year. he and schmidt together did show some competency though.

i have a bit more confidence in dillon bouncing back than Pionk. 2018-2021 Dillon had a 3 year stretch of great defense according to the stats/analytics. I think the last 2 years for Pionk were both outliers, one on the negative end (last season) and one positive (CDN Div). IMO, and by stats, his other 2 full years are close to last season rather than the CDN Div year. So while i do think he can bounce back a bit, i am not sure if the CDN Div year is the norm for him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
the thing w/ dillon is he rates out quite favorably defensively prior to his year in WPG.... he was also paired quite a bit with either Pionk or Stanley, & they were both no bueno last year. he and schmidt together did show some competency though.

i have a bit more confidence in dillon bouncing back than Pionk. 2018-2021 Dillon had a 3 year stretch of great defense according to the stats/analytics. I think the last 2 years for Pionk were both outliers, one on the negative end (last season) and one positive (CDN Div). IMO, and by stats, his other 2 full years are close to last season rather than the CDN Div year. So while i do think he can bounce back a bit, i am not sure if the CDN Div year is the norm for him.

It is one of the reasons why I'm on the trade Pionk bandwagon of he bounces back a bit. I think Ville can likely grow into a better version of him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It is one of the reasons why I'm on the trade Pionk bandwagon of he bounces back a bit. I think Ville can likely grow into a better version of him.
LOL welcome to the bandwagon :laugh:

Even with out a bounce back, he gets pts (regardless if it's pp or not), and high TOI. that usually alone has trade value for defenseman.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
…except
…except Pionk is also one of most physical players, which people still forget is important in hockey especially for defensemen.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
…except

…except Pionk is also one of most physical players, which people still forget is important in hockey especially for defensemen.

Physicality is only good if it leads to overall positive results.

We have Dillion and Samberg to provide the physicality and JoMo and DeMelo are no slouched there either.

Toninato on waivers. Was this expected and I just missed it?

They needed to make a move to activate Axel today so this move makes sense.

Looks like they do plan on rotating Dylan and Logan in and out to start the year.

Reactions: roccerfeller

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Maybe Barron is ready?

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perfetti - PLD - Wheeler
Barron - Lowry - Appleton
Fjallby - Gus - Gagner
Maenalnen

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Maybe Barron is ready?

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perfetti - PLD - Wheeler
Barron - Lowry - Appleton
Fjallby - Gus - Gagner
Maenalnen
For the first time in forever I feel really good about our bottom 6. Obviously there's a lot of unknowns but I see a really good balance of player types.

I know scoring is still a concern from that group, but if they can build some chemistry that's a strong roster

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I wonder if Toninato will get claimed?
Maybe Chicago? Some familiarity there. I like Toninato, hope he gets claimed and can keep playing somewhere but our 4th line and Moose logjam make him unnecessary. As it stands they have a solid 3 or 4 forwards that should make the Moose but there's just not enough room.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I think picking up Fjalby on waivers was the signal that Toninato was going down. Chevy or Bones must have seen something they liked, besides the hair to claim such a relatively obscure player. Toninato and Harkins while they weren't bad hockey players per se never really did much. They didn't sign Gagner to ride the pine or go to the minors, Saku Marmalade really impressed in pre season and Gus was always going to get the shot I felt because his ops kept getting derailed by injury.

I , like many others was looking for shakeup with the roster witha big move. That didn't happen but obviously Bones identified the bottom 6 as an area of concern since with the exception of Lowry and Apples since being reacquired is new players(counting Gus a new since he's barely played).

Don't know how much that bottom 6 will score but if in the new system chances against us are down that will be an improvement in itself. We have cap space, would like to get one more half decent goal scorer at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad