Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
So if we read into this, Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers is line 1. Toninato - Gustafsson - Gagner is line 4 and Morrissey - Demelo are likely a pairing

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So if we read into this, Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers is line 1. Toninato - Gustafsson - Gagner is line 4 and Morrissey - Demelo are likely a pairing
Then

Perfetti-dubois-wheeler

Harkins/Barron-lowry-appleton

Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Connor-Scheif-Ehlers. Amazing that something so obvious was so scarcely tried. Very excited to see what Ehlers does with this opportunity. I feel like giving him a larger role and Wheeler a lesser role will be an immediate improvement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Connor-Scheif-Ehlers. Amazing that something so obvious was so scarcely tried. Very excited to see what Ehlers does with this opportunity. I feel like giving him a larger role and Wheeler a lesser role will be an immediate improvement.

My only issue with that line is that all are shot first players. They all deserve the minutes but I worry about duplication of skills.

Meanwhile the second line has two pass first guys in Cole and Blake and Dubois who is more of an in close net front scorer. So I worry about duplication and fit for that line.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
My only issue with that line is that all are shot first players. They all deserve the minutes but I worry about duplication of skills.

Meanwhile the second line has two pass first guys in Cole and Blake and Dubois who is more of an in close net front scorer. So I worry about duplication and fit for that line.
I was going to say something like this, but you beat me to the punch.

I wonder if Scheifle/Ehlers can become that pass first player. Ehlers already plays good defense. Or perhaps it would allow Scheifle to stop fleeing the DZone too quickly if he could focus on being the passer rather than the threat of scoring (yeah, he’s got a great shot, but now he’s not the great shot on his line, that’s Connor/Ehlers)

Also, I really hear you on that second line. No great shot (Perfetti is probably the best of the three from any significant distance). Maybe Coach wants Perfetti to be a goal scorer to round out his skill set? Not sure if that works, but it’s a theory.

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was going to say something like this, but you beat me to the punch.

I wonder if Scheifle/Ehlers can become that pass first player. Ehlers already plays good defense. Or perhaps it would allow Scheifle to stop fleeing the DZone too quickly if he could focus on being the passer rather than the threat of scoring (yeah, he’s got a great shot, but now he’s not the great shot on his line, that’s Connor/Ehlers)

Also, I really hear you on that second line. No great shot (Perfetti is probably the best of the three from any significant distance). Maybe Coach wants Perfetti to be a goal scorer to round out his skill set? Not sure if that works, but it’s a theory.

Well Cole can shoot but prefers to pass. He was more scorer at the U18 and his first year of junior when that is what is required of him. So maybe that will be his role this year on that line. I'd still prefer to have one of our natural shooters on line 2 but I'm definitely interested in seeing how each trio looks.

Reactions: GNP

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Shut up Sawyer !!!!!! :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Scheifele and Ehlers weren't shoot first until recently. They're both excellent playmakers who can read a play and decide whether it's best to pass or shoot. Hell Ehlers is the only guy on the team the past couple years who can properly execute a 2 on 1. Having more options is good, if you're designating one guy as play maker, one as the shooter, etc it's easier to defend.

People seem to be forgetting how excellent of a play maker Scheifele was when he entered the league before everybody was coached to do the exact same thing every time they entered the opposing zone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele and Ehlers weren't shoot first until recently. They're both excellent playmakers who can read a play and decide whether it's best to pass or shoot. Hell Ehlers is the only guy on the team the past couple years who can properly execute a 2 on 1. Having more options is good, if you're designating one guy as play maker, one as the shooter, etc it's easier to defend.

True but there is also only one puck and putting your three best players on one line isn't always the best way to go about it. But I'm interested to see how it looks. It's an awful lot of speed and skill.

Makes sense with our log jam on the left, not sure why this wasn't tried more last year.

I agree, I've been stating that he is likely Schmidt's long term replacement so should be developed as such.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad