Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2006
I think picking up Fjalby on waivers was the signal that Toninato was going down. Chevy or Bones must have seen something they liked, besides the hair to claim such a relatively obscure player. Toninato and Harkins while they weren't bad hockey players per se never really did much. They didn't sign Gagner to ride the pine or go to the minors, Saku Marmalade really impressed in pre season and Gus was always going to get the shot I felt because his ops kept getting derailed by injury.
I'm guessing it was Scott Arniel that suggested that move as he was Asst Coach with Washington.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wasn't Yzerman Scheifele's hero growing up? He turned into a good two-way center in the second half of his career. Time for Mark to follow suit.
After spending the 1st half of his career being branded by many as an offense first player that the Wings couldn't win with. Very hopeful for a parallel.

Reactions: Jack7222 and Gm0ney

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I’d be shocked if scheif doesn’t quit on him…
I'm inclined to agree with that. However, I'm trying to remain optimistic that Bowness can effect some real change in his play. To that end, I will refer to him as Scheifele until such time as he demonstrates that ScheifMe is the more appropriate moniker. And I'll tell you, should last year's ScheifMe re-emerge, if I see this through my windshield...

gsa0nu0xc4o71.jpg

... I'm going for the gas, not the brake. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is all a result of a do-nothing summer. The malcontent starts the season on the lineup, none of the veteran D were traded and now here we are.

I really hope the new voice from the coaching change makes a really big difference because not much else is changed except for roster losses. Copp and Stastny gone + a few lesser players like Svech, Harkins & Toninato.

Leadership group is little changed. Wheeler is out, Lowry is in.

We picked up Maenalanen & Gagner, brought up Gustafsson, got Axel of the waiver wire for the bottom 6. We reacquired Apples and got Barron in trades later last season. Might improve on some of our bottom 6 players from last year, but none of them replace either Copp or Stastny.

Top 6 D are exactly the same. Exactly! Only change is the guy in the PB.

I have liked some of what I have seen through the pre-season. Positivity/excitement was building. I'm not impressed by some of the cut down moves and lineup decisions, especially on D. We are going to need Vezina Helle to come back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Crazy talk. How could professional hockey management be better than internet posters on HF Boards?

:laugh: Yeah
But there is one factor that could favour the internet posters. Just as we live in an echo chamber here, NHL coaching/management lives in another. They seem to share a set of biases and perceptions. Some of those things are inherent in the positions. Like the way coaches default to playing vets. Its built in to the situation coaches live in. The same thing happens with GM's leaving a mess of overrated, burnt out players and bad contracts for the next GM to fix.

Then there are the times the pro hockey people disagree with one another.

It is possible for the internet posters to be right and the pros to be wrong, at least once in a blue moon. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
when copa is ready? is he even hurt, haven't seen that mentioned at all or seen him not listed at practice nor seen him listed in a non-contact jersey, pretty sure axel got his visa worked out since they put appleton on ir today and bowness did mention that they have 8 nhl defensemen on the roster and if samberg wasn't an option to play they would just send him down

Axel is still listed as non-roster on CF. Apples is still on IR. He probably gets activated today. With 22 on the roster, there is a spot for him.

Copa is on the roster and apparently Stanley is starting. Not sure now where I got the idea he was not ready. Still, Capo was kept while Kovacevic was waived and Ville was sent down. I had expected him to be waived before those others were moved. If he can't beat out Stanley for 3LD I wonder why he is here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many hockey trades have we seen this offseason? Early on there was a bit of a flurry of players for future moves and then crickets other then for teams paying other teams to clear up cap space. How much would you have been willing to pay to move Schmidt's contract to clear a spot? To me he would be the player you'd try to move to clear a roster spot for Heinola.

True. This was an unusual off-season. But I don't think you would have needed to pay anyone to take on Stanley's $900k contract. Better yet, I'd bet that some GM would have liked to add 6'7 to his D corps at the TD.

I'd rather have moved Schmidt but 6 mil is a lot harder to move.

Reactions: surixon

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
:laugh: Yeah
But there is one factor that could favour the internet posters. Just as we live in an echo chamber here, NHL coaching/management lives in another. They seem to share a set of biases and perceptions. Some of those things are inherent in the positions. Like the way coaches default to playing vets. Its built in to the situation coaches live in. The same thing happens with GM's leaving a mess of overrated, burnt out players and bad contracts for the next GM to fix.

Then there are the times the pro hockey people disagree with one another.

It is possible for the internet posters to be right and the pros to be wrong, at least once in a blue moon. :laugh:
I agree. Pomo defaulted to the Devil he knew (vets) because winning meant he got to keep his job. At times that was at odds with what is the best thing for the long term viability of the franchise.
And of course sometimes Management is blind to what's in front of them (Andrew Copp, maybe Johnny K?), or is too close to the players on their team. Where would we be if Chevy was successful in signing Ladd long term?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
True. This was an unusual off-season. But I don't think you would have needed to pay anyone to take on Stanley's $900k contract. Better yet, I'd bet that some GM would have liked to add 6'7 to his D corps at the TD.

We may just have to bite the bullet and pay to move it next year to open a spot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

But it would be worth the effort to move on from a similar player so that Ville could fill a similar role (ie; offense first dman) - and improve your cap situation through the transition.
Ville should be preparing to fill a role similar to Smitty or Pionk - that's where you want to move him.
The hard part is making the moves (or when to make the moves).
I'd also assume they want Stan / Samberg to play more defensive roles - and who gets that spot is likely determined early in the season (hopefully).

I would think a draft / development strategy would look something like the above - develop players as your next generation who will replace similar players who are getting expensive (or losing their value based on contract).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But it would be worth the effort to move on from a similar player so that Ville could fill a similar role (ie; offense first dman) - and improve your cap situation through the transition.
Ville should be preparing to fill a role similar to Smitty or Pionk - that's where you want to move him.
The hard part is making the moves (or when to make the moves).
I'd also assume they want Stan / Samberg to play more defensive roles - and who gets that spot is likely determined early in the season (hopefully).

I would think a draft / development strategy would look something like the above - develop players as your next generation who will replace similar players who are getting expensive (or losing their value based on contract).

I mean in theory that is how it should work but the org has been pretty inconsistent in how that is practiced.

For the most part I don't have very many complaints on how the Jets procure their forward talent. They know what to look for and generally have a good pulse on when and how to integrate them. You saw that with bringing in short term plugs like Jokinen to allow them to ease Mark in. You saw them being willing to move Perrault down for Conner. They created space for Ehlers and Laine when they were ready. You also recently saw that they are willing to mive on from expensive aging players like Stastny and replace them with a rookie Perfetti. All good and indicative of a draft and develop org.

That isn't happening on defense though. The only player I can think of that the org actually made room for was a 19 year old Trouba. JoMo shocked Maurice in camp with his defensive play. It didn't hurt that Trouba was holding out creating an unexpected top 4 opening and that Buff requested to ay with JoMo to the coach. I doubt very much they had planned for him to be an everyday top 4 guy the year he cracked the roster. Since then the org gas gone out of its way to bring I plugs to block players. Even your guy Stanley had to wait to an injury to a plug to get in. The org a year ago brought in two aging and expensive players to do the jobs that the orgs Teo best d prospects were being groomed to do. So really we have largely blocked them from advancement. That is the opposite of what a draft and develop org does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille