Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
When do we usually see the first round of cuts? I’d like to see how it looks once we start slimming down the roster
Chances are the first round of cuts will be junior eligible players and guys ticketed for the ECHL eventually. Don't see the roster getting down to 30 until after the game in Chicago or the Flyers game here.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think as far as Cehlarik and Kuhlman are concerned it comes down to this. Skill? Cehlarik. Speed/Hustle/Determination/Two-Way Game/Grit Etc? Kuhlman... and his speed and all those qualities make him a candidate to play up the lineup and chip in 15-20 goals and 40-50 points in the NHL IMO. Cehlarik had his chances and didn't do much with them and his skating just isn't up t0 snuff IMO. Will suck to lose him for nothing though...

Bjork with Charlie and Danton could be very interesting. Especially if he learns to be able to slow things down occasionally like Mojo was so good at

I agree with this post...the only thing that can change this perspective is if Cehlarik has somehow improved his speed...He has the determination, hustle, and grit (controlling puck down low) however if he can't keep up with pace he will never be an effective 2 way player. Something the bruins pride themselves on.

Much like Backes I don't see a Cehlarik ever improving his speed and therefore most likely traded.

Based on last year if it came down to Kuhlman or Cehlarik...I take Kuhlman.

Time will tell.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Cehlarik had his chances and didn't do much with them and his skating just isn't up t0 snuff IMO.
Cehlarik had 4 goals in 20 games, that's not exactly doing nothing. I think the skating comments are overstating things too. He's not a speedster, but he doesn't lag behind the play and he's very quick to jump on loose pucks and force turnovers. I don't think his skating is going to keep him from being a good NHL player. He's also a good passer and an excellent net front guy. He was very effective on the PP setting screens and then hunting down rebounds and passing them out to the perimeter guys. The line of Cehlarik-Krejci-DeBrusk was also really effective.

I don't think management loves him. He was a Chiarelli pick and he's not a speedy winger so he doesn't quite fit the model. I also think he lost some of his urgency the last time he was up. Started out great, but then faded a bit so he has himself to blame for that. I guess we'll see how the pre-season games go...

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik had 4 goals in 20 games, that's not exactly doing nothing. I think the skating comments are overstating things too. He's not a speedster, but he doesn't lag behind the play and he's very quick to jump on loose pucks and force turnovers. I don't think his skating is going to keep him from being a good NHL player. He's also a good passer and an excellent net front guy. He was very effective on the PP setting screens and then hunting down rebounds and passing them out to the perimeter guys. The line of Cehlarik-Krejci-DeBrusk was also really effective.

I don't think management loves him. He was a Chiarelli pick and he's not a speedy winger so he doesn't quite fit the model. I also think he lost some of his urgency the last time he was up. Started out great, but then faded a bit so he has himself to blame for that. I guess we'll see how the pre-season games go...

Good points...he is very quick to jump on loose pucks however his straight line speed is below average.

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think management loves (Cehlarik). He was a Chiarelli pick and he's not a speedy winger so he doesn't quite fit the model. I also think he lost some of his urgency the last time he was up. Started out great, but then faded a bit so he has himself to blame for that. I guess we'll see how the pre-season games go...

is it management or is it the coaching staff? i feel like sweeney has had a pretty
long rope with this guy - if he wasn't bullish on him, the trigger is already pulled
long ago on a deal for a pick, IMO. i think they missed the boat and he's gone on
waivers for nothing, but we'll see.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'm seeing some talk here about Backes' play this preseason. All summer long some here were saying that he'd be on LTIR after or for surgery. Now all of a sudden he's on the opening night roster?
I don't hate Cehlarik but could he and Backes be the guys waived to be sent to Providence if over the player limit?

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017

I've been told a few different times he kind of "does his own thing". Not really one of the boys, so to speak, I guess. That's been a problem here before, so I bet that plays into it a bit. Like a Soderberg sort of situation. Idk for sure though, obviously.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm seeing some talk here about Backes' play this preseason. All summer long some here were saying that he'd be on LTIR after or for surgery. Now all of a sudden he's on the opening night roster?
I don't hate Cehlarik but could he and Backes be the guys waived to be sent to Providence if over the player limit?
One could only dream.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oskar Steen, 21, itching to make move to NHL - The Boston Globe

NEWARK — It was about time for Oskar Steen to get out of Karlstad.

Not that it’s a bad place to be. The picturesque city of about 60,000, located in the central Swedish lowland on the north shore of Europe’s largest freshwater lake (Vänern), was where Steen was raised. It was also where he developed as a junior hockey player, and, despite being the youngest regular on the team last year (20), became the top-scoring forward for Färjestad, the pro club based there.

“I felt like I had a good season and it was time to move on and do something new,” Steen said. “It was a good challenge for me as a player and a person to move away from my hometown, the comfy spot at home.”

“His shot I’ve noticed,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “Smart player. He’s quick. I don’t know [about] fast, but he’s certainly quick enough to get around. He’s played at a high level. He’s played in the World Junior, he’s played in the top level in Sweden, he’s played against good players. Hopefully he’s not — I don’t want to use the word ‘rattled’ — but not intimidated by NHL competition.”

He was not Monday. To score his goal in Boston’s 4-3 overtime loss, Steen rushed through the neutral zone, eluded the stickwork of a backchecking Jack Hughes, and before Andy Greene could close on him, snapped it far side from the top of the right circle.

“That’s very big for my confidence,” he said. “It’s hard to play on the small rinks for the first time. I think it went better as the game went on. I think I’ll maybe do a better game next time.”

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My calculations already had Cehlarik traded,still need 1 more player gone
Regarding Backes he looks like he did 5 years ago,big,wide ,power forward not the pasty,gaunt sickly guy we had last year,now is gonna score 20 goals? Doubtful but he'll contribute where he can,I dont see Management sending him down to Providence or they would have had him playing with the B team Monday night to send him a message

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Regarding Backes he looks like he did 5 years ago,big,wide ,power forward not the pasty,gaunt sickly guy we had last year,now is gonna score 20 goals? Doubtful but he'll contribute where he can,I dont see Management sending him down to Providence or they would have had him playing with the B team Monday night to send him a message

Not really sure what type of message you could send, "you've been injured, we'll show you"? "Stop trying so hard, you are embarrassing other players"? "You got slow, off with your head"? It's never been a lack of effort by Backes just age and injuries, if he can find a way not to get old I would appreciate it if he would share the secret.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I can see Cehlarik traded for a mid round pick.

Reactions: Alicat

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Eric, do you think Backes would be better than the kid they would send to Providence for that last spot?

That wouldn't be very professional for the kids if the whole training process is already rigged...

Reactions: Estlin

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Eric, do you think Backes would be better than the kid they would send to Providence for that last spot?

That wouldn't be very professional for the kids if the whole training process is already rigged...
One could argue training camps have been rigged for some time,though I think they've gotten it right more times than naught,at least lately
I don't think it's Backes vs Kuhlman
I think it's Backes vs Ritchie and Backes vs Wagner

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Backes should be in Providence with how many bottom 6 players this team has and some of the young guys pushing for spots.

Steen looks good but I think will need a full season in Providence to adjust to NA ice. I think he could be a good top 9 wing, maybe even top 6 if he develops really well, next season.

Cehlarik is a tough one. He's been a borderline guy for a while. I would like to see him crack the top 9 but if he doesn't, I think he's likely going back to Providence.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
One could argue training camps have been rigged for some time,though I think they've gotten it right more times than naught,at least lately
Wagner over Backes for sure.
Don't know enough yet on Ritchie, base on what Sweeney has done lately, I would bet on Ritchie.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

He had 2 of his 4 goals come right after his call-up. He then proceed to go 19G w/ 2G & 2A. Go look at Chelarik's game logs and you'll see he starts out well and then goes quiet quickly.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know why they would give him one year. He's the Swedish version of Trent Whitfield. I don't care how good he is defensively, any NHL forward who can't score in 61 consecutive games (and counting) has zero business even being in the league. That kind of production would be laughable for a defensive D-man type, let alone a forward. Lindholm makes Noel Acciari look like a genuine sniper.

Glad to see you back after the summer and also see you have a new whipping boy for the year :laugh:

Reactions: BruinDust

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
IMO, it is Backes vs. Ritchie and I am taking Backes.

To me, Wagner is a lock to make the team.

I am so glad I don't have to make these tough decisions.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
IMO, it is Backes vs. Ritchie and I am taking Backes.

To me, Wagner is a lock to make the team.

I am so glad I don't have to make these tough decisions.

The decision on what to do with Vaak is going to be a killer, even with Moore out for an extended period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad