Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

From the beginning of training camp:

“He’s skating well,” DeBoer said. “I think not having the responsibility of all the details of playing center, at this level right now, has probably freed him up a little bit to create a little bit more, and that’s a good thing.”

Almost the same quote from the beginning of training camp... I would take that as DeBoer feeling like he is not getting it done, and is getting frustrated but trying to stick to the formulated coach speak...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t know, last game they tried out Bergmann more and I think he out showed Gambrell. Gambrell might be a lock but I don’t think it’s looking like he starts top six
I am hoping you are right. I don't like Gambrell on the roster at all, let alone in the top-6. I liked Bergmann a lot and really hope he starts in the top-6.

Is Gambrell waiver exempt this year? I would not mind starting Yurtaykin and Bergmann on the roster instead of Gambrell.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I am hoping you are right. I don't like Gambrell on the roster at all, let alone in the top-6. I liked Bergmann a lot and really hope he starts in the top-6.

Is Gambrell waiver exempt this year? I would not mind starting Yurtaykin and Bergmann on the roster instead of Gambrell.
Yes, he is waiver exempt.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why though? Those don't look too bad.

Meier-Couture-Labanc
Kane-Hertl-Radil
Yurtaykin-Thornton-Gambrell
Goodrow-Suomela-Melker
Bergmann-True-Brodzinski

I don't like the fact that Chekhovich and Gregor got cut but I would like to think that there is competition on multiple levels now.

1. I have feeling Jumbo won't play 82 regular season games this year. Even if he is healthy. I think its between Suomela and True for the 3C/4C spot.
2. Off the 3 winger spots I think one of them is Radil's. The other 2 are between Gambrell, Yurtaykin and Bergmann.

I really don't know where I stand on Brodzinski right now. Given his age, I actually expected a lot more.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Seems like Suomela is winning the 4C race and I’m sorta interested to see how he does with Melker and Goodrow. Though I still think Brodzinski/Bergmann would make that line way better.

I actually think they like Brodzinski on Joe’s line but are giving Gambrell one more chance to prove something.

Radil has been playing really well so far and has experience and some success in a top 6 role. Unless he totally flops over the next few games, he’s in.

I also think they’re fascinated by Yurtaykin and are sorta throwing him around to see how he handles it. I think he’s the first one that gets bumped to the top 6 if Radil loses that spot.

I gotta say though, at first I was surprised by the cuts but then I noticed we still have great players up (sans Gambrell... but they’re obviously giving him a chance and you can’t fault them doing that in camp) and.. I genuinely don’t remember the last time we were this flush with talented rookies.

I mean: True, Brodzinski, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, Gregor, Brodzinski, Yurtaykin, Bergmann, Suomela and Ferraro...

You literally have 3 lines of talented, high ceiling-ish players waiting in the wings. That’s.. fantastic.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Wasn't surprised to see the C twins cut. I've been saying it since the post draft camp, they just don't look ready. Give it a year or maybe even 2, and we'll see them.

I am really hoping Ferraro gets his shot. He's been by far the most impressive prospect.

Not surprised about Yurtaykin or Suomela, I've had them especially Yurt, high on my board for making this team, but I'm big time surprised with Bergmann, I didn't think he'd be here at this stage of preseason. He had a decent summer, but he's really surprised me. Great job by him. I was very wrong with Kellman. I thought he'd be taking that 4C spot, and he just didn't do a lot to impress.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
The 33 players on the roster leave:

4 goalies
Sawchenko is still listed for some reason
Bibeau has to clear waivers

12 Defensemen
Carrick has to clear waivers
Merkley and Knaizev will go to juniors
Simek will go to IR
Middleton EXPECTED to be sent down

17 Forwards
3 cuts to be made

Reactions: themelkman

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
DW needs to grab a top 6 fwd sooner rather than later because that lineup doesn't give me much optimism. We have some promising forwards but I don't think any of them are ready to be top 6 guys long term. We have plenty who can play on the 4th line, several who would likely be fine on the 3rd line but I don't see any of them being able to produce in a top 6 role yet. Labanc isn't a sure thing and he's more proven and experienced. Here's hoping Yurtaykin can step up like Donskoi and prove me wrong.

Reactions: LA Shark

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Totally fine with this. I don't think Radils spot or the 3rd and 4th lines are set in stone. These are just the guys still battling and from what I've seen so far this looks right. Good for the Chi twins and others just turning pro to play in the AHL and develop more. They'll be better players down the road for it and there is no reason to rush them with this roster. I never want this team to fail a prospect again the way they did (forget his name) that D-man who they forced with Burns a few years ago who clearly wasn't ready. If Mario makes the team out of camp I hope it's only until Simek gets healthy. I want him to play 25 minutes a night in the AHL before he comes up to the Sharks and plays 5 to 10 minutes a night. Doubt he would ever get more the way they use the big 3 D-men.

I hope Shovels finally earns his spot as 4th line center, then Radil, Brodzinski and Bergman. That's a nice roster to star with and compliments the veterans. However it works out they should be fine though. Can't remember the team ever having a development system this deep. I bet at least 6 young forwards make their NHL debut this season and at least 2 D-men. Desimone is an NHL defenseman and I could see him playing at some point this season in addition to Mario.

I really hope Heed gets it together because he's a useful player with his shot and passing but he's looked mediocre defensively so far. Prout is a lock. Solid enough to play when needed, Vet enough to ride pine and teach the kids who aren't in the line up how to be pros when waiting their turn. Nice that the resident face puncher is actually a useful player.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I thought checko looked ready. Wonder if face injury hurt his chances? Perhaps dougie and Pete wanna give him top line minutes instead of fourth line but I would have liked him in the top 6...

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
If he plays well, he'll likely be a december call up kinda like Meier and Labanc. Same goes for the rest of the AHLers.

Yeah, what we start with aint gunna be what we end with. I expect a revolving door with the cuda. Obviously, injuries always happen, but guys like Radil, Bordzinksy, gambrell and co. are borderline guys, so if any struggle, which one or more almost surely will, then we'll see the others called up.

And, of course, dougie kept 2M+ in cap space, which gets amplified throughout the year. Come jan/feb, it'll be 6M+ and there will be moves...

I just hope that the team can play well enough to stay positioned nicely in the hunt until reinforcements arrive. I am worried about having Cooch, Hertl, Meier, Labanc, and Kane as the only clear top 9 guys. Jumbo and sorensen as 6th and 7th forwards is thin as jumbo is 40 and sorensen was goalless in 18 PO games last year with just one full NHL season under his belt. EK65, Burns, and Jones better be spectacular of they will lose a ton of 3-1, 4-2 games. I hate the idea of having Melker, Goodrow, Radil, Brodzinski, and Gambrell in the lineup every night with Sorensen also counted on for a major role. That's a lot of relatively dead weight and hoping for production. I also dont see Bergmann or yurtaykin jumping in and producing big time.

I also don't trust Kane to produce either as he has just one 30 goal season in the last 7 (last year). Hertl and meier took huge leaps, but counting on them to maintain that 30+ goal, 60+ pt level is a big ask particularly with much tougher Dman matchups coming and Labanc still has his major defensive and penalty issues to work through so relying on him for top line minutes is also risky.

Simply put, the sharks have major question marks everywhere, not even including the age and health of the D and the goaltending. I dont live that they already gave up 4.33 GAA in the preseason. Doesnt mean much, but keeping puck out of their own net is the only way they survive this year. This season is the shakiest roster in the last several years that could be solid or terrible. I dont know how it's gunna go, but it's gunna be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad