Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

5th line Sorenson-Suomela-Brodzinski

They’re really trying to give Gambrell his opportunity. Frankly, I’d rather flip him and Lean Bergmann and make Gambrell the center on the 4th. I’m a little intrigued by Joe’s line — if all three click that would be deadly but I’m assuming Yurtaykin is there temporarily and because he’s a lefty he’s likelier to be sent down when Sorenson gets healthy... unless he outplays Gambrell/Bergmann significantly enough to warrant their spot.

Obviously, Brodzinski and Heed are at risk of being the “sit in the press box until someone fails” players.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
They’re really trying to give Gambrell his opportunity. Frankly, I’d rather flip him and Lean Bergmann and make Gambrell the center on the 4th. I’m a little intrigued by Joe’s line — if all three click that would be deadly but I’m assuming Yurtaykin is there temporarily and because he’s a lefty he’s likelier to be sent down when Sorenson gets healthy... unless he outplays Gambrell/Bergmann significantly enough to warrant their spot.

Obviously, Brodzinski and Heed are at risk of being the “sit in the press box until someone fails” players.
Yurtaykin is righty.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yurtaykin is listed as LW righty on CapFriendly.

I would like to see him or Bergmann on the right though. Bergmann is listed as LW, RW so I assume he played both in Germany.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I read that while he’s right handed he prefers and plays left mostly. I forget where and I could be totally wrong.
You mean he prefers to play left wing? Or left handed? He is a left wing, and the Sharks have a lot of LWs currently, but Timo could switch to the right if necessary.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

So Gambrell is back up on the big line.They really want him to fit there it seems

They gonna die on this hill

3bjqis

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

Looking at these lines, I wonder if DW is looking to move Chekhovich. Obviously, they need to see how Bergmann and Yurtaykin work out to start the season, but if it works Chekhovich is not making the lineup at any point during his ELC, unless he is ready to play center, but I don't think that will happen. Could be a piece moved for a more established right wing.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Looking at these lines, I wonder if DW is looking to move Chekhovich. Obviously, they need to see how Bergmann and Yurtaykin work out to start the season, but if it works Chekhovich is not making the lineup at any point during his ELC, unless he is ready to play center, but I don't think that will happen. Could be a piece moved for a more established right wing.

That's quite a leap. They clearly are giving preference to guys who have pro hockey experience either in the AHL or overseas. Chek and Chmelevski will likely get a shot at some point this season if they perform well in the AHL. If either of them become trade bait, my money is on Chmelevski just due to how poorly he has performed in preseason and prospect tourneys.

Reactions: themelkman

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

How can you make the leap from 1 training camp to say both the chi-twins won't make the nhl in the next 3 years?

People said the same stuff about meier while stating goldobin was a hockey god here.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
How can you make the leap from 1 training camp to say both the chi-twins won't make the nhl in the next 3 years?

People said the same stuff about meier while stating goldobin was a hockey god here.
What? I didn't say anything about Chmelevski. All I am saying, is the sharks have 5 reasonable looking options at left wing under contract for 2+ years, and Yurtaykin will be a RFA and likely easily kept for the third. Bergmann fits into a fourth line, but all of them seem to have games that can play in the top 3 lines, where you would expect Chekhovich to be.

Maybe I worded it a bit agressively, but I'm not saying that Chekhovich wont be better than Bergmann or Yurtaykin long term, just that he is a valuable prospect at a position where the Sharks seem to have a lot of depth if it clicks.

The Goldobin washing out and depleting the depth at LW is something that could happen, but these are guys who have professional experience and are a lot less likely to get to the point of falling out of the NHL if they show they can handle it early in the season because they know how to stay focused and keep working at it, unlike Goldobin.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's way too soon to tell if Chekhovich can find a spot in the three years that his ELC will run. A lot of these wingers can move to the right side if needed including Chekhovich. There's also an expansion draft in 2021 which could open up a spot on top of the normal turnover hockey teams go through. He could very well be trade bait as he and Chmelevski are highly regarded by GM's right now. If anything, I think the emergence of Bergmann and Yurtaykin afford them the flexibility to season these two in the AHL and develop things before having them focus on producing immediately for the big club.

The guy that needs to worry for his job if those two step in and do the work is Sorensen and Gambrell. Bergmann can play the right side now if he's giving them good enough reasons to keep him. Yurtaykin will get a shot while Sorensen is hurt since there's no need to rush people back when the season hasn't started and the early games are going to be an adjustment period for everyone.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I gotta say, the Sharks' coverage of this year's training camp has been a total joke. There are very few interviews posted, no focused videos on any prospects, the Sharks' twitter has been borderline useless, unless you want a reminder that you can only take a clear bag into the SAP center, it's ridiculous.

The few videos they have posted are useless. What does this even show?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I gotta say, the Sharks' coverage of this year's training camp has been a total joke. There are very few interviews posted, no focused videos on any prospects, the Sharks' twitter has been borderline useless, unless you want a reminder that you can only take a clear bag into the SAP center, it's ridiculous.

The few videos they have posted are useless. What does this even show?

Totally agreed.

Plus it took like a week or more to find out our top prospect was in concussion protocol.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I love how they say that. “In concussion protocol.” Can’t just say the dude had a concussion.

Is there actually a difference though?

Like there is a concussion protocol during a game and it doesn’t mean the player specifically has a concussion. Is that not possibly the case for whatever he was doing?

Either way our coverage is so crap we won’t know anyways.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Love the idea of having a big 4th line center, but True did not look like an NHL player.

He’s not athletic enough, doesn’t look skilled offensively, and doesn’t really hit. Disappointing.

Unfortunately this is the almost exact same description, I gave of him a couple of years ago. I will add (in his defense) that he works hard for the team every single shift.

I still think he has a 50/50 shot at taking the fourth line center role in NHL at some point this season or next due to his big reach and enormous team approach, but he probably won't ever be a scoring line center in the NHL. I'm actually very surprised that he took the scoring crown in Barracudas last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad