Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'd like to give the Sharks one more round of applause for their awful media coverage this preseason. The day before the season starts, 3 rookies find out they're making their NHL debuts, and not an ounce of coverage or video. :clap:

To be fair to the team, it is kind of an embarrassment. Those players are making the team largely because of need. Looking back mentally, I cannot think of a single season where those same three players would have made the opening night lineup.

Those players (especially the forwards) are literally the least worst options.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
To be fair to the team, it is kind of an embarrassment. Those players are making the team largely because of need. Looking back mentally, I cannot think of a single season where those same three players would have made the opening night lineup.

The last interviews posted on their website are after the Calgary game. Zero coverage of anything since.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

DW certainly proved me wrong this year. I was convinced we would have a proven top-9 winger before the start of the season. He put trust in the kids. This year could get interesting if we get injuries to any of the proven top-6 F that we have.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
DW certainly proved me wrong this year. I was convinced we would have a proven top-9 winger before the start of the season. He put trust in the kids. This year could get interesting if we get injuries to any of the proven top-6 F that we have.
I agree. It’s very odd. It felt like DW was working on something, hence how long the Thornton contract took. It’s also strange a strange season to be giving “the kids” an opportunity. They don’t have their 1st round pick this year, like when Timo was drafted. So the team can’t afford to have a down year, especially after signing Karlsson to that monster contract, letting Pavs walk, and this potentially being Thornton’s swan song.

DW has passed up every opportunity to make the team better to this point, FA, trade, and waivers. It’s clear that at least one top 6 forward is still needed. It’s clear that the goalie situation is still not stable. It’s clear that from the last preseason game, Pistol Pete still doesn’t understand Vegas’ system. And it’s clear that Steve Spott has no idea to run a PP.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree. It’s very odd. It felt like DW was working on something, hence how long the Thornton contract took. It’s also strange a strange season to be giving “the kids” an opportunity. They don’t have their 1st round pick this year, like when Timo was drafted. So the team can’t afford to have a down year, especially after signing Karlsson to that monster contract, letting Pavs walk, and this potentially being Thornton’s swan song.

DW has passed up every opportunity to make the team better to this point, FA, trade, and waivers. It’s clear that at least one top 6 forward is still needed. It’s clear that the goalie situation is still not stable. It’s clear that from the last preseason game, Pistol Pete still doesn’t understand Vegas’ system. And it’s clear that Steve Spott has no idea to run a PP.

Yeah. It was risky before training camp and pre-season. More so after having seen what the kids can (and cannot) do. Though, even with the current lineup, I still consider us a playoff team with atleast 1 round win in it.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Yeah. It was risky before training camp and pre-season. More so after having seen what the kids can (and cannot) do. Though, even with the current lineup, I still consider us a playoff team with atleast 1 round win in it.
Yeah, I agree that they should be a playoff team. I’m still a little concerned if anything major should happen to the 6 important players on the team (EK65, Burns, Hertl, Timo, Logan, and Vlasic), or Jones and Dell repeat last season’s inspiring performance, they might end up on the outside looking in without any real depth.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, I agree that they should be a playoff team. I’m still a little concerned if anything major should happen to the 6 important players on the team (EK65, Burns, Hertl, Timo, Logan, and Vlasic), or Jones and Dell repeat last season’s inspiring performance, they might end up on the outside looking in without any real depth.

Injuries are definitely a concern but like last season, my biggest concerns are PDB (team defense) and Jones (goal tending).

I want to also wait and see how the team does in games 3 through 12. We don't play Vegas during that stretch and should get a better idea on the team is playing in general. Vegas definitely seems like an outlier as far the team is concerned and is a valid concern if we have to play them in the playoffs but that is something we can worry about once we get there.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t think there is a single chance we make it though the season without a forward trade. Be on the lookout for people “on the block” in the future

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t think there is a single chance we make it though the season without a forward trade. Be on the lookout for people “on the block” in the future
I think the challenge with this always is if a lot of teams are competing for playoff spots in both conferences. This was the case last season and with the parity in the league, I would not be surprised if it is similar this season too.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think the challenge with this always is if a lot of teams are competing for playoff spots in both conferences. This was the case last season and with the parity in the league, I would not be surprised if it is similar this season too.
Yeah but I think you will see that change over time, the league always moves throughout the season

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah but I think you will see that change over time, the league always moves throughout the season

We could see that happen but the cap space has us really limited this season. I don't think DW risks moving Dillon mid-season. Moving Melker and Dell would be challenging too. This is going to be a tough year to add a F.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It is going to be all about accruing cap space as the season wears on. My guess on the forward front is one of Toffoli, Kessel, Gallagher, Zucker, Kreider, or Hall. All have varying levels of availability and attainability for us, but I think one of those guys ends up on our team by season's end (barring an epic collapse that has us firmly out of playoff contention).

Reactions: Erep

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Would have been nice if DW would have been able to swing a Kadri-Vlasic trade.

Especially after Vlasics stellar playoffs. Just would have taken care of so many birds in one shot to move Vlasic for a forward.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would have been nice if DW would have been able to swing a Kadri-Vlasic trade.

Especially after Vlasics stellar playoffs. Just would have taken care of so many birds in one shot to move Vlasic for a forward.

I am not a fan of Vlasic's contract but that would have made Simek our best LD. Simek who has only played part of a season in the NHL and is coming of a knee injury.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I am not a fan of Vlasic's contract but that would have made Simek our best LD. Simek who has only played part of a season in the NHL and is coming of a knee injury.

True but I think Burns and Karlsson are more than capable of carrying their pairings.

Burns made Ryan look great and Karlsson makes Dillion look great. It might be a little hairy if injuries happen but I think the risk would be worthwhile.

I'm also skeptical of Vlasics ability going forward. IMO there's still a chance to dupe a team into thinking they are getting 2014 Vlasic but it dwindles the longer he plays.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True but I think Burns and Karlsson are more than capable of carrying their pairings.

Burns made Ryan look great and Karlsson makes Dillion look great. It might be a little hairy if injuries happen but I think the risk would be worthwhile.

I'm also skeptical of Vlasics ability going forward. IMO there's still a chance to dupe a team into thinking they are getting 2014 Vlasic but it dwindles the longer he plays.

So long as they're healthy then sure and maybe Burns carrying Vlasic to an extent is good for him and if Vlasic plays moderately well relative to his capabilities, Burns wouldn't have to worry as much on both ends like he had to when Simek went down.

As for Vlasic as it pertains to duping a team, he's got an NMC. He's not going anywhere for a few years.

Reactions: themelkman
Jul 10, 2010

Im gonns disagree with Ferraro not making other years opening roster. Having a bottom 2 dman that can move the puck, especially from the left side which has been a problem for numerous years is very deserving of a spot.

or did you mean there wouldnt of been a season where all 3 make it at once?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Aren’t you the one that made that embarrassing “Vlasic is one of the worst defensive players in the league” thread?

Reactions: themelkman

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Aren’t you the one that made that embarrassing “Vlasic is one of the worst defensive players in the league” thread?

First half he was. Playoffs he was great. Just called it like it was.

I still don't trust Vlasic going forward. Defensive defenceman never seem to age well.

Reactions: Phu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad