Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Tocchet on Burns/Gambo 98.7 right now:

Strome getting a good look "still trying to find his way"

"Keller may get a look at Center, maybe Stroza too"

Galchenyuk still week-to-week, don't know how many weeks.

Oesterle has been very good and "looks like he's won a roster spot", Lyubushkin also been good and may have also won a roster spot.

Re: Grabner, the PP has been good preseason and counting on Grabner to impact the PK.

TO DO list for season opening:
-health of the team (can't control that).
-special teams are important, key focus.
-consistency - handle pressure in 3-2 or 2-2 games

Last edited:
Reactions: RABBIT

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Marner has become a star, Hanifin is solid, Provorov and Werenski developing into Norris caliber dmen. And so on.

Strome. “Still trying to find his way”

sigh

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Marner has become a star, Hanifin is solid, Provorov and Werenski developing into Norris caliber dmen. And so on.

sigh

Can't even wait until the season has started to whine about a guy. Amazing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ehhhh...if you’re not worried, you’re not really thinking hard enough about it.

Anyone, I’m still hoping we walk into the lottery with the 11th best odds (or so) and win #2 and take Kakko.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The fact that we f***ed up Turris is what gives me hope. He still turned out to be pretty good. Strome has been jerked around too, just not the same way. Hopefully he comes out on top as well except with us instead of his next team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Anyone, I’m still hoping we walk into the lottery with the 11th best odds (or so) and win #2 and take Kakko.

The entire conversation around Strome would be different if they had forced him onto the roster instead of just taking their time. He'd have 35ish points and we'd just be waiting for him to break out rather than assuming he's a straight up bust.

Preseason is preseason. I don't see any reason to read into it. If Strome is terrible after 20 games then by all means get out the pitchforks.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I didn’t say it, his coach did. And while saying it he’s also talking about trying two wingers at center until injuries sort themselves out.

If your point is why stop being patient now, sure, I can get on board with that. There really isn’t any other choice than patience and hope.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I am not confident we make that pick if we grab 2. Before this years draft I would have been .... Now not so sure ...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think I’d take Kakko over Andrei Svechnikov and Jack Hughes.

That's a bold statement. I initially thought it was blasphemy, then I looked up Kakko's stats and saw that he's started off his draft season >1.0pts/gm. It would be insane if he could keep that up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet on Burns/Gambo 98.7 right now:

Strome getting a good look "still trying to find his way"

"Keller may get a look at Center, maybe Stroza too"

Galchenyuk still week-to-week, don't know how many weeks.

Oesterle has been very good and "looks like he's won a roster spot", Lyubushkin also been good and may have also won a roster spot.

Re: Grabner, the PP has been good preseason and counting on Grabner to impact the PK.

TO DO list for season opening:
-health of the team (can't control that).
-special teams are important, key focus.
-consistency - handle pressure in 3-2 or 2-2 games

sigh

RT has never liked Strome. He will be traded sooner than later.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The entire conversation around Strome would be different if they had forced him onto the roster instead of just taking their time. He'd have 35ish points and we'd just be waiting for him to break out rather than assuming he's a straight up bust.

Preseason is preseason. I don't see any reason to read into it. If Strome is terrible after 20 games then by all means get out the pitchforks.
Exactly, but that comment by RT is another example of his dislike for Strome. I wish RT would have expanded on his comment because I have no idea what it means exactly. I expect Archibald to be tried at center before Strome gets a chance in the regular season.:) Like you said, play Strome for the first 20 games, give him plenty of TOI and see what happens.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Exactly, but that comment by RT is another example of his dislike for Strome. I wish RT would have expanded on his comment because I have no idea what it means exactly. I expect Archibald to be tried at center before Strome gets a chance in the regular season.:) Like you said, play Strome for the first 20 games, give him plenty of TOI and see what happens.

I really hope you're wrong. I don't want to have wait for years to fire another close minded block head again.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
RT has never liked Strome. He will be traded sooner than later.

I don't know if he doesn't like Strome - I think it is more that Strome has not met the expectation of where he would/could/should be at. We can talk all we want about how we should have just put him in the NHL and ran with it - let him learn on the fly. We also don't know if that could have damaged the player as well. If he had a tough time in the NHL and lost confidence, he would have been bumped down to the AHL and played with little confidence. It is no surprise that being down in Tucson helped build that confidence so that when he was back in the NHL, he can go for 8 P in 10 G. Maybe taking him slow has been the best thing and his ceiling just isn't that high.

I think that the bigger piece is looking at what was said by Tocchet:

Oesterle and Lyubushkin look good and wasn't afraid to say that Oesterle looked like he won a roster spot and Lyubushkin was right behind him there. If Strome were a guarantee to find top minutes and be that guy that we are expecting him to be, why would the answer be "still trying to find his way?" The words still and trying are very key there, b/c if he was finding his way, that would encourage that steps were being made like his eating habits and conditioning are top notch, now all those little things are putting him in that position to carry over to the ice, which would be seen in practice. "Still trying" almost sounds like a coach who is exasperated that the player doesn't quite get it and hasn't put it all together by this point or that he may never be able to put it all together.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In the end game, I think we took Hayton with a plan to move on from Strome this year and continue talks about picking up a RW via trade.

Palmieri? Stone? Nyquist? Atkinson? Neiderreiter? Hornqvist?

Those are the 6 names that I would be keying on if we were looking at moving Strome with a high-dollar player to match up salaries while still getting capable players. I think those teams would also be adverse to moving each of those players (Stone being the only exception where Ottawa will likely move him).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Strome was drafted in the 3rd round would you expect much from him right now? Draft position after 3 years is irrelevant.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It hurts a team for almost a decade when they draft a bust in the top 3 picks imo. Teams just don’t get that many golden opportunities.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know if he doesn't like Strome - I think it is more that Strome has not met the expectation of where he would/could/should be at. We can talk all we want about how we should have just put him in the NHL and ran with it - let him learn on the fly. We also don't know if that could have damaged the player as well. If he had a tough time in the NHL and lost confidence, he would have been bumped down to the AHL and played with little confidence. It is no surprise that being down in Tucson helped build that confidence so that when he was back in the NHL, he can go for 8 P in 10 G. Maybe taking him slow has been the best thing and his ceiling just isn't that high.

I think that the bigger piece is looking at what was said by Tocchet:

Oesterle and Lyubushkin look good and wasn't afraid to say that Oesterle looked like he won a roster spot and Lyubushkin was right behind him there. If Strome were a guarantee to find top minutes and be that guy that we are expecting him to be, why would the answer be "still trying to find his way?" The words still and trying are very key there, b/c if he was finding his way, that would encourage that steps were being made like his eating habits and conditioning are top notch, now all those little things are putting him in that position to carry over to the ice, which would be seen in practice. "Still trying" almost sounds like a coach who is exasperated that the player doesn't quite get it and hasn't put it all together by this point or that he may never be able to put it all together.
I understand what you are saying, but he has led the team in scoring in the AHL, which is the same system. I know the AHL is not the NHL, but you have to give him a shot. Strome has produced at every level, but I don't ever seeing him being a 200 ft. player like RT always talks about. Not every player can be. Strome's time is now and he has to be given the chance. IF he can't make it, cut bait, but he has to be given that shot, and that was my biggest fear going into this year that he won't be given that shot.

Reactions: Sthlmyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad