Training Camp 2018

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And streamed on FB Live. But only the interviews. The alumni game won't be.

And FWIW, John McCarthy has also been released from NHL camp. (They missed him with last reduction 9/20.)

Clifton on waivers

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Chalk this one up in the “JTR was wrong” column. I was very high on Radil and thought he would make the NHL out of camp.

Ryan Merkley said in an interview before the draft that he wants to play one more year in Junior. I would be amazed if he stays up in the NHL.

Yeah, I’m not quite sure what the organization sees in him.
Me too. Thought Radil looked like a lock for the bottom six.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Whhat a fun game, DeBoer looked like a kid out there again, I think I saw a twinkle in his eye at the end.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It looks like Gambrell hasn't had a very strong camp, so it is disappointing that the Sharks are promoting him over others.

The Sharks have generally been a team where pedigree, junior/college performance, etc. gets you a foot in the door, but otherwise, it is up to the player to perform at the NHL level. For example, their signing of McGrew is probably strongly based off his great TC performance.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It looks like Gambrell hasn't had a very strong camp, so it is disappointing that the Sharks are promoting him over others.

The Sharks have generally been a team where pedigree, junior/college performance, etc. gets you a foot in the door, but otherwise, it is up to the player to perform at the NHL level. For example, their signing of McGrew is probably strongly based off his great TC performance.

Good point. It's total bull that Letunov, Radil, and True got sent down while Gambrell is still getting looks at both wing and center. It'll also lead to vets like Couture playing in more preseason games than they should (since only 15 forwards are left).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good point. It's total bull that Letunov, Radil, and True got sent down while Gambrell is still getting looks at both wing and center. It'll also lead to vets like Couture playing in more preseason games than they should (since only 15 forwards are left).

That's really not that big of a deal because his minutes in those games will be limited.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I don't like articles like this. Too much veneration of DW...yes, he has made some fantastic trades. But great trades aren't the goal...a championship is! And in 14 years of GMing, DW has zero (0!) cups. His predecessor Dean Lombardi has two in that time; Stan Bowman has 3. Multiple general managers have one. That's the metric that should be used for a general manager of his tenure.

You might as well write an article about DeMelo's fantastic training technique and diligence.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't like articles like this. Too much veneration of DW...yes, he has made some fantastic trades. But great trades aren't the goal...a championship is! And in 14 years of GMing, DW has zero (0!) cups. His predecessor Dean Lombardi has two in that time; Stan Bowman has 3. Multiple general managers have one. That's the metric that should be used for a general manager of his tenure.

You might as well write an article about DeMelo's fantastic training technique and diligence.

Meh, let us bask in some glory once in a while. I get your point, but when your average draft position is 27th and you year after year pull these mega trades that keep the team competitive, all while somehow restocking with good young players, there is some praise to be shared.

We don't need any journalist to remind us that we have been the best team over a decade but never won anything. The comments section provides that insight

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The thing with gambrell is that we are only seeing games. Maybebhes been told to not go too hard cuz hes in to start.

Seems unlikely but they were calling him up last season.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Completely disagree with you. A GM's job is to put together a team capable of winning a cup. DW has done that consistently for the entire time he's been in SJ. Wilson has pretty much won every big trade he's made. The negatives on his resume are small time things like Wallin, Semenov and Burrish. His positives are Thornton, Boyle, Burns, Karlsson, Kane, Jones etc. I'll happily take those negatives with those positives. Wilson has made SJ a super desirable location for players and has brought world class talent to the team. He has retained the talent he's acquire on pretty reasonable deals too. That is the most you can ask for from your GM. Do you follow other teams GM's and see what they do? I really don't understand how a Sharks fan can't see that we are spoiled with at worst a top 5 GM in the sport. DW has actively attempted to improve our team any chance he gets and is pretty much involved in every big name that becomes available. What more do you want?

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007

Judging a GM by how many cups he's won is equivalently stupid to judging a player against the same metric. Is Joe Thornton not one of the greatest players in NHL history because he didn't win a cup yet? If you really think that, figure it out. Stop judging people by whether they won a championship - its short-sighted and analytically lazy.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad