Training Camp 2018

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Flames fan coming in peace. You are the California team I hate the least if that helps. I was wondering if you guys have a good idea of what the power play units will be this year. I tried to load up on sharks players in fantasy I think you guys are going to have a big year

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Man, they really need to change the PP. Burn's first step isnt quick enough to catch the turn overs and prevent the oddman rushes now that every PK pressures the point shot hard. Or Burns needs to get back into that backskating towards left/center of the Ozone and get his shots through like he used to when the powerplay not only worked but looked good.

------------Net:-------------
----Pavs---------Couture

Burns------------Thornton

--------Karlsson----------

Or even going back to when Thornton used to play behind the net, I wonder if he is still effective back there?

[Edit: ate my formatting]

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'd like to see them just focus less on offense from the blue line. It was an issue last year when all we wanted to do was cycle the puck to Burns and teams cheated/blocked shots which wasted so much time. Why not take advantage of that and get some odd man situations down low when the two forwards cheat. We are way too predictable

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Man, they really need to change the PP. Burn's first step isnt quick enough to catch the turn overs and prevent the oddman rushes now that every PK pressures the point shot hard. Or Burns needs to get back into that backskating towards left/center of the Ozone and get his shots through like he used to when the powerplay not only worked but looked good.

------------Net:-------------
----Pavs---------Couture

Burns------------Thornton

--------Karlsson----------

Or even going back to when Thornton used to play behind the net, I wonder if he is still effective back there?

[Edit: ate my formatting]

I say give EK the QB job and take Jumbo off that first unit and use Lebanc because he has more movement. Also do we leave EK and Burns on the entire 2 mins? Cause why not haha

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I say give EK the QB job and take Jumbo off that first unit and use Lebanc because he has more movement. Also do we leave EK and Burns on the entire 2 mins? Cause why not haha

It's ideal to have two playmakers on the same power play unit. I'd rather keep Thornton on with Karlsson and let Labanc QB the 2nd unit.

Reactions: Dicdonya

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'd put Jones in as a forward on the Powerplay, I mean, he's not doing anything in the net during that time anyway...

Reactions: KirbyDots

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Some body has to be in the net looking pretty while the other team scores.

I'm kind of hoping Jones was just kind of like "I am not injuring myself in the pre-season making some crazy save on 2-0" and that's what was going on.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
1:
-----------Thornton-------
------------:Net:-------------
--------------Pavs------------
Couture----------------Hertl
-------------------------------
----------Karlsson----------

2:
----------Donskoi-----------
------------:Net:--------------
------------Meier-------------
Kane------------------Labanc
---------------------------------
-----------Burns-------------

Could try that. The way I see it, our 4 best powerplay players are:

Karlsson
Thornton
Labanc
Burns

Now we could load up PP1 with all 4, and put like Pavs/Couture with them, or split them up 2 and 2. Labanc and Burns seem to do alright.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I'd like to see them just focus less on offense from the blue line. It was an issue last year when all we wanted to do was cycle the puck to Burns and teams cheated/blocked shots which wasted so much time. Why not take advantage of that and get some odd man situations down low when the two forwards cheat. We are way too predictable

Exactly! Working the puck low and sending it through the crease or slot is a low risk play in a high percentage area. We keep taking point shots which is low percentage/high risk or pulling up on odd man rushes to dump the puck back to the trailing man. Problem is if we turn the puck over up high the chances of an odd man rush the other way increases drastically. I don’t see the logic of our offense.

Reactions: anthonyyy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I really don't like the behind the net strategy for the power play. You leave yourself susceptible to losing any loose puck battles or races because in most spots, you're going to get outnumbered with that strategy. It all depends on who the coach wants to have handling the puck after setup. If it's Thornton, you have Couture down low at the goal line, you have Pavelski just below the hash marks just off to the side of the front of the net, you have Burns cruising in and out of the back door looking for a seam and Karlsson at the point. If it's Karlsson, you keep Burns at the point for one-time options, you put Thornton at the goal line, Pavs in the same spot, and Couture circling around the back door.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Couture-Jumbo-Pavs
Burns-Karlsson

Labanc-Hertl-Meier
Donskoi-Vlasic

This leaves Kane out o the PP unit but gives each line 2 playmakers.

Eh, I'd go:

Lebanc - Jumbo - Burns
Couture - Karlsson

Put Pavs on PP2

Pavs - Hertl - Meier
Ryan - Donskoi

Let Burns play forward on the power play so he can focus on offense. Couture is great on the the left side point taking shots anyway because of his accuracy.

Let Pav's give the second unit a boost by having an elite puck tipper on there.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I'd take Jumbo off the top unit. His skillset isn't really needed on that unit with EK65 out there running things.

Would much rather have someone out there with a stronger shot and more mobility. Hertl, LaBanc, etc.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Eh, I'd go:

Lebanc - Jumbo - Burns
Couture - Karlsson

Put Pavs on PP2

Pavs - Hertl - Meier
Ryan - Donskoi

Let Burns play forward on the power play so he can focus on offense. Couture is great on the the left side point taking shots anyway because of his accuracy.

Let Pav's give the second unit a boost by having an elite puck tipper on there.

That 1st unit has no player that is a net front presence. People complain about perimeter play on the pp and then every line suggestion makes sure that is what they are best at.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Almost all our shooters/one timers are right handed shots. Cooch is the probably the only 'sniper' that's a lefty. The PP is gonna be painfully obvious unless 65 goes nuts.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I thought the pre-season was pretty successful. Our teams needs were to figure out which rookies can possibly make the team this year, if Sumo can play, if we need a 4C, we gave Kane his licks with the Joes and was shuffled to where we thought hed be in both games. We got Karlsson midway through, so obviously that's going to change things around and take time to work on the ice. And Thornton is coming off 9 months without any games, its going to take at least 10 games for him to get back into it.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
I thought the pre-season was pretty successful. Our teams needs were to figure out which rookies can possibly make the team this year, if Sumo can play, if we need a 4C, we gave Kane his licks with the Joes and was shuffled to where we thought hed be in both games. We got Karlsson midway through, so obviously that's going to change things around and take time to work on the ice. And Thornton is coming off 9 months without any games, its going to take at least 10 games for him to get back into it.

10 games for Thornton? That's very optimistic. It takes time just to get your conditioning back to game-level, let alone timing and confidence. My guess is 40 games before he starts feeling it again.

The player to really worry about is Evander Kane. He showed very little that I could see. HOWEVER, and this is a lesson many of you should write down and stare at all September every year: The preseason doesn't mean shit [at least for Veteran players]. Douglas Murray had a preseason hat trick, but had just 7 career goals in over 500 games played. Just think about that before getting too critical. I'll reserve any serious judgment or praise until Wednesday night, 10:30pm.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Yeah, 10 games to get up to speed, and 2-3 months to start reeling in 70-80 points.

I'm not worried about Kane. Give him Donskoi and they'll feast on the bottom 6.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad