GDT: Training Camp 2018-19, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
@Montsy14 So you guess Mamin is the one who must bite in the Apple could be true. If you see that Brouwer and Haley bring the same Game as Mamin. Or only from the fact his more a 4th Line Player and we have plenty of Players for that Position.

Pretty much...if you send Mamin down, then you have Vatrano and Borgstrom who could fill in anywhere in top 9, if necessary and Haley who fills in on 4th line, if necessary.

Otherwise, you have Mamin/Haley as extras, both of whom really can only slot in on 4th line...Mamin maybe on 3rd line, but again, I'd rather have Borgstrom in that spot to start.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Agree Vatrano should have the spot but I guess they see Borg's upside so big that it's worth to let him develop here.

I want us to give Vatrano a chance. I don't want to see us waive him lose him. Let Borg play few games and then sent down. Let Borg grow in AHL. Just look how it helped Trocheck

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Mamin doesn't have to go through waivers...if we want to talk about where a player fits and roles on the team blah blah blah....MacKenzie, Haley, Sceviour, Brouwer and Mamin are all very similar in terms of what they bring. It's forecheck, some PK, some banging, etc. I like Mamin, but we have enough of that type of player already. Borgstrom can create and be a difference-maker, even if it's on the 3rd line. Initially, I was of the opinion that sending him down wouldn't be the worst outcome, but based on what we have in the bottom 6 right now, he should stay up at least for the first 10-15 games.

What's the worst case scenario if we keep Borgstrom up to see what he truly has right now? Give him a shot, if it becomes obvious that he needs AHL time, then bring Mamin back up in a few weeks or a month.

Here is the problem, they have given him all the chances to show what he has this preseason, played 5 or 6 games, played center, played wing... and he has not been clearly better than Vatrano, heck, he has been barely noticeable save for some fancy puckhandling skills. McCann and Malgin have earned their spots due to their play in the preseason, Borg? no so much. Borg is more "talented" than both of them probably, but at this point in his career he hasn't put it all together IMO. Send him down, get him lots of minutes in the AHL and call him up later in the season.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I want us to give Vatrano a chance. I don't want to see us waive him lose him. Let Borg play few games and then sent down. Let Borg grow in AHL. Just look how it helped Trocheck

Yeah I don't mind I just don't see them doing that after giving that third line so much time together in the preseason.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Borg sent to AHL confirmed.
Got some experience in preseason, now let's be patient with him.

"Dale Tallon on Henrik Borgstrom starting at AHL Springfield: ‘We are erring on the side of caution ... He needs to add strength, get more physical. ... We know he’s a gifted player with a bright future. We don’t want to mess him up.”"

Zero excuses for Springfield to suck this year - they'll have some pretty good prospects now plus some decent vets as well.

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
"Open competition" my ass. Same training camp nonsense every year. I do agree with Borgstrom being demoted, but it's clear that they wanted to simply continue with the same roster that finished on an 8 (?) game winning streak. I get the logic, just don't bother with the pageantry of training camp. Have rookie camp and call it a day.

MacKenzie/Haley/Brouwer rotating in will be hilarious.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Any idea what Springfield lines will look like?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
"Open competition" my ass. Same training camp nonsense every year. I do agree with Borgstrom being demoted, but it's clear that they wanted to simply continue with the same roster that finished on an 8 (?) game winning streak. I get the logic, just don't bother with the pageantry of training camp. Have rookie camp and call it a day.

MacKenzie/Haley/Brouwer rotating in will be hilarious.

One Side Argrement, when you look how vatrano played, he was even near to Injury Loungo during Preseason, with his Idtiotic push into the Goalie and the akward landing on him.
He also made a single Goal during the PP set was set up from Borgstrom. So yes they better say befor the Camp, who get a Place and who not.
On the other Side, a few old Franchises in the League proof, when you give some Player some extra Year there development can be really good. And they didnt make the same mistake as with McCoshen and let him stay with the Team and dont give him expierence.

But to tell the whole Fan Base we have a hard Battle for the Spot, with Players who really had a Chance. But in the End the Outcome is, beside FA the same Roster that was really a tough battle. In that Point im also with you.

Any idea what Springfield lines will look like?

Good Question, i expect Borgstrom will be back as Center. I dont really see him as a Winger. And with Ang from our Prospect pool a good one two Punch, if both play Center. In addition to all the Veteran and other Players on the Team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
hopefully yandle isnt out for any amount of time. ironically gets injured the day (i believe) the nhl posts how hes 6th all-time in consecutive games played and can make top-5 this year.

if everyone is healthy come opening day:

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Weegar
MacDonald-Pysyk

7th: Petrovic
IR: Kis

Reactions: Jakeybonz

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
When was the last time our AHL affiliate made the playoffs? Won a round?

Way Back with San Antonio Rampage 11/12 out in the 2nd Round. That was the Season when Shore, Howden and a few other joined the Team after Juniors.

Mistake 14/15 1st Round out but near the same Roster and Trocheck was with them.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Way Back with San Antonio Rampage 11/12 out in the 2nd Round. That was the Season when Shore, Howden and a few other joined the Team after Juniors.

Mistake 14/15 1st Round out but near the same Roster and Trocheck was with them.

Good Christ that is depressing.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Borg needs to play top minutes, AHL is perfect for him. He'll be the first call up after an injury.

Batting, did we waste a year on his ELC last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad