Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kreider looks much more comfortable on defense blocking shots and breaking up plays. I know some fans were worried because of the AHL stats but i dont read much into that i think he is gonna be good for us

Look, Kreider is going to be good for us. No doubt.

Its the expectations that are worrying. Last season some were seriously mentioning Kreider as a untouchable even if he was the main piece that had gone the other way for Rich Nash...

Chris is still very raw and who knows where he will end up. But its ridiculous to expect (a likelyness of more than 50%) him to become a player who scores around 75-80 pts in a season. To even remotely be for us what Parise became for NJD or something like that.

We sometimes loose perspective with these kids. WE WOULD ALL LOVE IT if someone told us that we could get a homegrown kid who was strong as a bull, fast, teamoriented, solid both ways, who could score up towards 25 goals and add X number of assists depending on the line he plays on. 25 goals is good even for a second lineer. If we get a kid who over 10 years avg around 25+25, with the normal variance of +/- 10 pts maybe (a little low almost, most player has a variance of +/- 15-20 pts between great years and subpar years) -- its a helluva pick made by Gorton and we got a kid on our hands who will be very valuble for us. But we should just cut the Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra bs hype on Kreider. Don't post Kreider's name in the same thread that someone like Rick Nash is mentioned in. Its just stupid. A kid don't has to become the LeBum James of hockey to be valuble.

I think his play in the AHL this season, and consequently the lockout, was a god sent for Kreider. What if he stepped right into the NHL, how much would he have been forced to score for him to get positive headlines and superseed the expectations? 35+35? Its not even remotely reasonable to not expect Kreider to go 10 games without a goal this season. He is a pretty raw kid. If Kreider just sticks in the NHL and scores like 0.4-0.5 PPG everyone should be thrilled about the kid -- because a kid needs that to build confidence etc.

Last edited:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Its the expectations that are worrying. Last season some were seriously mentioning Kreider as a untouchable even if he was the main piece that had gone the other way for Rich Nash...

Chris is still very raw and who knows where he will end up. But its ridiculous to expect (a likelyness of more than 50%) him to become a player who scores around 75-80 pts in a season. To even remotely be for us what Parise became for NJD or something like that.

We sometimes loose perspective with these kids. WE WOULD ALL LOVE IT if someone told us that we could get a homegrown kid who was strong as a bull, fast, teamoriented, solid both ways, who could score up towards 25 goals and add X number of assists depending on the line he plays on. 25 goals is good even for a second lineer. If we get a kid who over 10 years avg around 25+25, with the normal variance of +/- 10 pts maybe (a little low almost, most player has a variance of +/- 15-20 pts between great years and subpar years) -- its a helluva pick made by Gorton and we got a kid on our hands who will be very valuble for us. But we should just cut the Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra bs hype on Kreider. Don't post Kreider's name in the same thread that someone like Rick Nash is mentioned in. Its just stupid. A kid don't has to become the LeBum James of hockey to be valuble.

I think his play in the AHL this season, and consequently the lockout, was a god sent for Kreider. What if he stepped right into the NHL, how much would he have been forced to score for him to get positive headlines and superseed the expectations? 35+35? Its not even remotely reasonable to not expect Kreider to go 10 games without a goal this season. He is a pretty raw kid. If Kreider just sticks in the NHL and scores like 0.4-0.5 PPG everyone should be thrilled about the kid -- because a kid needs that to build confidence etc.

If Kreider's playing with Boyle he won't score his first 10 games in.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

I think his play in the AHL this season, and consequently the lockout, was a god sent for Kreider. What if he stepped right into the NHL, how much would he have been forced to score for him to get positive headlines and superseed the expectations? 35+35? Its not even remotely reasonable to not expect Kreider to go 10 games without a goal this season. He is a pretty raw kid. If Kreider just sticks in the NHL and scores like 0.4-0.5 PPG everyone should be thrilled about the kid -- because a kid needs that to build confidence etc.\
Well first of all BOTH Torts and Sather said they would not trade Kreider for Nash which was one of the reasons why Nash wasnt a Ranger before the deadline. Secondly i never overhype kreider im being very objective. He is not gonna score a ton this season esepcially playing with boyle and pyatt but thats ok because im talking about the future and also talking about his defense which is looking better

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I just think people are stuck in a video game mindset and dont understand that 75-80 points in today's NHL (you know, in real life) is a truly elite player. Its a number that has been carelessly thrown around with Kreider for a couple of years now, and its unfair expectations to say the least.

But be careful, because if you're of the mindset the Kreider will contribute significantly less than a PPG, and you think he has a lot to learn to be a better all-around NHL player, then you're apparently labeling him a bust. Theres very little in between.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If Kreider can become a 50-60 point player I'll be pretty happy. Obviously everyone would love him to be a 35 goal scorer, but as has already been mentioned, that's quite rare. Last year only 14 guys did that, and only 7 did it two years ago.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
What if he isn't a 50-60 point player? Even those expectations are rather lofty of any player. Look at who scored 50-60 points last year. Toews, Getzlaf, Ryan, E. Kane, Perry, Nash etc...

Not saying he can't or won't but trying to temper expectations for now.

member 116805

Thanks for uploading the training camp special! Didnt realize how much ive missed watching this team until i saw that.
One thing though, did Nash put on weight? His face is so fat his eyes are squinting haha

SupersonicMonkey*

He was an untouchable, even for Nash. That wasn't posters saying it, it was the Rangers organization. And they proved it.

Also, as people in the organization have mentioned, he has been the focus of the opposition in Hartford. He isn't at the point in his development at the professional level, to be the priority of the opposition and to also carry the brunt of the offense. In Boston College, yes. In the AHL and NHL, not yet. He's only 21.

On the Rangers he will not be that focus. Nash, Gaborik, and Richards will be.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kreider's ceiling IMO has been that of Erik Cole or Max Pacioretty. That is the type of player the Rangers are hoping for. Cole doesn't create a tone of offense himself. He goes to the right areas and uses his size and speed to put the defense in bad positions. Pacioretty is the same. That is what the Rangers should be, and IMO are, hoping Kreider can turn into.

These predictions of 80 points or 40 goals are way out of whack. 20-30 goals, 50-60 points. That would make him a legitimate 1st liner.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Kreider's ceiling IMO has been that of Erik Cole or Max Pacioretty. That is the type of player the Rangers are hoping for. Cole doesn't create a tone of offense himself. He goes to the right areas and uses his size and speed to put the defense in bad positions. Pacioretty is the same. That is what the Rangers should be, and IMO are, hoping Kreider can turn into.

These predictions of 80 points or 40 goals are way out of whack. 20-30 goals, 50-60 points. That would make him a legitimate 1st liner.

This is why I keep saying Boyle should not be his center. I'm not trying to knock Boyle, he's a solid team player, but when it comes to his offensive game, he has none. How many times did people rip him in the GDT last year because on a 3 on 2 rush he'd just fire a poor shot from far out? He lacks offensive instincts.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
What if he isn't a 50-60 point player? Even those expectations are rather lofty of any player. Look at who scored 50-60 points last year. Toews, Getzlaf, Ryan, E. Kane, Perry, Nash etc...

Not saying he can't or won't but trying to temper expectations for now.

I'm not saying I'd consider him a bust if he max's out at 20-20, but I'd be a little disappointed. I think he's capable of more than that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well first of all BOTH Torts and Sather said they would not trade Kreider for Nash which was one of the reasons why Nash wasnt a Ranger before the deadline. Secondly i never overhype kreider im being very objective. He is not gonna score a ton this season esepcially playing with boyle and pyatt but thats ok because im talking about the future and also talking about his defense which is looking better

Nah, hold on a little. The reports were three core pieces + picks. IE, something like AA, Dubi, Kreider and a 1st. We wouldn't add Kreider to what was on the table.

Also, I didn't say you were overhyping Kreider. I don't know if Torts or Slats were/are overhyping Kreider (if you asked Torts I am sure he would have said something along the lines that he had not seen Kreider play to be perfectly honest).

All I know is that alot of people had very high expectations on Kreider last season. Look at any old thread, its not hard to find mentionings of like "Dany Heatly", "40+40" or "I wouldn't trade Kreider straight up for Nash".

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is why I keep saying Boyle should not be his center. I'm not trying to knock Boyle, he's a solid team player, but when it comes to his offensive game, he has none. How many times did people rip him in the GDT last year because on a 3 on 2 rush he'd just fire a poor shot from far out? He lacks offensive instincts.

Of course it isn't ideal, but he needs to earn his ice time and learn the defensive side of the game. Every player starts on a lower line.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Nah, hold on a little. The reports were three core pieces + picks. IE, something like AA, Dubi, Kreider and a 1st. We wouldn't add Kreider to what was on the table.

Also, I didn't say you were overhyping Kreider. I don't know if Torts or Slats were/are overhyping Kreider (if you asked Torts I am sure he would have said something along the lines that he had not seen Kreider play to be perfectly honest).

All I know is that alot of people had very high expectations on Kreider last season. Look at any old thread, its not hard to find mentionings of like "Dany Heatly", "40+40" or "I wouldn't trade Kreider straight up for Nash".

Nope, we wouldn't include Kreider as a CORE piece. Ergo, we weren't adding him to a what was on the table.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
Here's to an Great Season...

In an attempt to limit the stresses, frustrations, and arguments that occur over the course of a season, maybe we can all come to terms that not everything is going to go the way we want it to. By doing so, hopefully we can have a healthier board.

Most likely, all or some of these things are going to happen:

- Lundqvist will let in a softie.
- The PP will go 0-6 in a game.
- A puck will go off a Ranger's defenseman's skate and into the net.
- Kreider will go through some rough stretches.
- The Rangers will blow a 3rd period lead.
- An important contributor will get hurt.
- A referee will blow a call that goes against the Rangers.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

But at the same time, these occurrences will even out, too.

- The Rangers will score a goal that goes off an opponent's skate.
- The Rangers will come from behind to win a game.
- Lundqvist will steal a game.
- McDonagh will catch up to an opponent on a breakaway.
- The Rangers will benefit from a blown call.

The Rangers won't go 48-0. They will lose game that they deserve to win and win games they deserver to lose. When something goes poorly, hopefully we can all realize that it's not because Player X sucks or Referee Y is out to get the Rangers. These things just happen.

I can't wait for the start of the season tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an enjoyable season and everyone can remain calm and level headed instead of making knee-jerk reactions.

Have a great day!

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Pat tweeted that the lines will be the same as is in this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ra...-season-stanley-cup-prediction-projected-open

PROJECTED OPENING-DAY ROSTER (23 total)
Starting forwards (12): Carl Hagelin-Brad Richards-Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik-Derek Stepan-Ryan Callahan, Taylor Pyatt-Brian Boyle-Chris Kreider, Mike Rupp-Jeff Halpern-Arron Asham (*). Reserves (one): * Brandon Segal (expected to start season-opener due to Asham’s one-game suspension carryover from last year’s playoffs with Pittsburgh)

Starting defensemen (six): Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi, Marc Staal-Anton Stralman, Michael Del Zotto-Stu Bickel. Reserves (two): Steve Eminger, Matt Gilroy

Goaltenders (two): Henrik Lundqvist, Martin Biron

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Sauer info. What we already knew.

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
For anybody still asking about Mike Sauer, did ask Torts today to confirm. Torts says Sauer, unfortunately "not even in the conversation."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad