Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Glad to see Bickel in there. Been saying it for a while, but I think the Rangers have more faith in him than most people around here do.

Ehh, nothing about Bickel's game strikes me as noteworthy besides his toughness. Then again, thats not a big element within the top 5 defensemen, so its definitely valuable.

And with that said, its more value I can find in Eminger and Gilroy.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Ehh, nothing about Bickel's game strikes me as noteworthy besides his toughness. Then again, thats not a big element within the top 5 defensemen, so its definitely valuable.

And with that said, its more value I can find in Eminger and Gilroy.

The thing that sticks out for me with Bickel is that he doesn't try to push himself too far beyond his abilities when he's faced with tough decisions. He keeps the play simple; Is relatively mobile; and can make a solid breakout pass. He had a few games last year where he was getting 20+ shifts and 18+ minutes. He's shown the ability, at least in my perspective, all he needs to do is find some consistency.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing that sticks out for me with Bickel is that he doesn't try to push himself too far beyond his abilities when he's faced with tough decisions. He keeps the play simple; Is relatively mobile; and can make a solid breakout pass. He had a few games last year where he was getting 20+ shifts and 18+ minutes. He's shown the ability, at least in my perspective, all he needs to do is find some consistency.

I think the consistency will come with time.

The thing a lot forget about Bickel is that he was acquired in a throw-away trade for a sack of **** (aka Nigel Williams). An undrafted guy. The only thing Ducks posters could tell us about him was that his nickname was Stewed Pickle. He forced his way into big minutes with Hartford and when given a shot with the Rangers, he made the best of it and kept that spot. He's a guy that has been continually improving his game, and with more experience there's no reason that can't continue.

Who had Bickel on their radar prior to last season? Anyone that claims they did is a liar. I'm by no means claiming that Bickel is going to be the next Girardi--to the contrary, I think he maxes out as a bottom pair guy. But he does seem to be one of those guys that you can't write off, a player that will continually improve until he has developed a little niche for himself leading to a good NHL career.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A little OT, but how old was Hagelin when he got to NA? He has no accent. I guess they learn English in schools in Sweden.

They teach English in most European countries from a relatively early age. Many Europeans are fluent in English despite spending no time in English-speaking nations.

Hags was 19 when he first skated for Michigan. Prior to that he lived and played Junior hockey in Sweden.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

The thing a lot forget about Bickel is that he was acquired in a throw-away trade for a sack of **** (aka Nigel Williams). An undrafted guy. The only thing Ducks posters could tell us about him was that his nickname was Stewed Pickle. He forced his way into big minutes with Hartford and when given a shot with the Rangers, he made the best of it and kept that spot. He's a guy that has been continually improving his game, and with more experience there's no reason that can't continue.

Who had Bickel on their radar prior to last season? Anyone that claims they did is a liar. I'm by no means claiming that Bickel is going to be the next Girardi--to the contrary, I think he maxes out as a bottom pair guy. But he does seem to be one of those guys that you can't write off, a player that will continually improve until he has developed a little niche for himself leading to a good NHL career.

Agreed on all counts. I think his upside is a reliable, no-nonsense, bottom-pairing guy who will go through a wall for his teammates and be a quality presence in the locker room. All while being a solid scrapper who can throw some big hits. We've been missing that guy on our blue line for a while. Closest we've had was Eric Reitz, maybe Paul Mara but lord knows that part of the reason for his beard was to cushion the blows of the other guys fists.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I agree with this. He is a warrior and will skate through a wall for his teammates. Those kinds of guys normally can carve out a NHL career. His straight-line skating is actually pretty good, and he keeps the game relatively simple most of the time which is a good thing.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
B's fan here. Trying to make out GDT and have no idea if any Rangers are hurt and missing tomorrow's game or who your scratches will be. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
B's fan here. Trying to make out GDT and have no idea if any Rangers are hurt and missing tomorrow's game or who your scratches will be. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
asham will miss the game due to suspension

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Arron Asham is suspended, to be replaced by Brandon Segal.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Gaborik-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt
Segal-Halpern-Rupp

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Bickel

Likely lineup.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

As noted prior, no Asham, and as of right now I believe the word on the street is Stu Bickel will be our 3rd pairing right defenseman.

Good lord, Loffen, put up the GDT. :P The anticipation is killing me.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Gaborik - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Segal

Suspended: Asham

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Del Zotto - Bickel

Scratches: Gilroy, Eminger

Bickel is the only spot that isn't set in stone.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Glad to see Bickel in there. Been saying it for a while, but I think the Rangers have more faith in him than most people around here do.

Bickel is there because he will come to the aid of a teammate in a flash . I don't think he worries about getting the instigator penalty . He is like a loose cannon and other guys playing against him know that and it can keep the borderline guys from acting tough when they know they will be taken to task for it . Somebody has to take up the physical slack that departed with Dubi and Prust and AA can't do it alone . You have to have at least one mean mother around the crease and our other half dozen D are a wee bit tame IMO .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad