Proposal: Trading the 1st overall pick

Would you trade 1st overall pick for a young established NHL star

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Absolutely no question he's on another level.

I dunno if you saw earlier conversations, but after re-signing players like Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, and Vatanen next year, we're guessing we're going to have about 13M in cap space, give or take a couple million. Even if you guestimate 16M of space, we don't have enough to re-sign everyone, much less pay for a 1LHD.
Are Bratt, Butcher, and Vatanen crucial to re-sign? If you shipped one off for prospects/picks, would it kill you long-term?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Are Bratt, Butcher, and Vatanen crucial to re-sign? If you shipped one off for prospects/picks, would it kill you long-term?

No. Vatanen isn’t even a lock to re-sign here by any stretch, Butcher can easily be traded and Bratt’s a really nice player that the Devils can keep or deal as part of a package for defensive help and thus also reallocate his projected salary to the backend.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You're taking this way too literally. I didn't mean they don't need Boqvist at all. I'm saying it's not a priority for them to be giving up that #3 pick. Boqvist is more of a luxury than a need. Would you trade the #1 pick for a LW? it's kind of the same idea.
The idea of a winger being less valuable as a 1OA is flawed imo.

Off of the top of my head I take Hall, Ovi, and Kane over anyone not named Sid or McDavid currently playing as a forward. Even then, I still take Ovi over Sid and definitely McDavid. Time could change that opinion, but I doubt it.

All 3 of those players are more valuable than any centerman on their teams or any others not previously named who were drafted 1OA in the last 15 years.

Qualifier: I believe Hughes will change that conversation.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The idea of a winger being less valuable as a 1OA is flawed imo.

Off of the top of my head I take Hall, Ovi, and Kane over anyone not named Sid or McDavid currently playing as a forward. Even then, I still take Ovi over Sid and definitely McDavid. Time could change that opinion, but I doubt it.

All 3 of those players are more valuable than any centerman on their teams or any others not previously named who were drafted 1OA in the last 15 years.

Qualifier: I believe Hughes will change that conversation.

That wasn't my point at all....my point is we are stacked on LW, whereas we have bigger needs on C, RW, and D. Also Idk why you brought up names like Ovechkin and Kane....not sure how that's even related. The proposal involved Boqvist who is not an established player. Having said that, trading the 1st overall for another LW who is only a prospect would not be smart for the devils. The same applies for the blackhawks who have bigger needs for a #1 center and D (as far as prospects go). I'm sure if someone came along with an offer with an established player it'd make them think. Boqvist isn't that.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
One question that needs to be asked during the Combine should adress Hughes’ desire to play with his brother. Parise, Tavares going home and Neds leaving to play with his brother are ones that stick out. I know he has mentioned it in a few interviews.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
One question that needs to be asked during the Combine should adress Hughes’ desire to play with his brother. Parise, Tavares going home and Neds leaving to play with his brother are ones that stick out. I know he has mentioned it in a few interviews.
That should have zero impact on the decision to draft him. There is free agency for a reason. NHL players have to wait until they are around 27 years old to work where they want. Nieds was a key player on all 3 Devils Cup teams. Was it a bad decision to draft him because he later left as an FA?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ya know, his brother becomes a UFA before HE does. We could bring Quinn HERE.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ya know, his brother becomes a UFA before HE does. We could bring Quinn HERE.

If they both are on an NHL roster for 40+ games next year, they will both first be eligible to be UFA in the same year (2026).

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
That should have zero impact on the decision to draft him. There is free agency for a reason. NHL players have to wait until they are around 27 years old to work where they want. Nieds was a key player on all 3 Devils Cup teams. Was it a bad decision to draft him because he later left as an FA?

Yes and No. I agree to some degree. The Devils might draft Hughes who quickly becomes a great player on a “Rookie Deal” or we get a great play who hits his stride later. He might get a reasonable “bridge deal” but he can still leave during his prime. That outcome is feasible if the Devils win a championship, but that is not a guaranty. Star players leaving rarely happen, (Hawks, Pens, Caps, Sharks, Kings, Boltz) all have thier stars locked up and rotate players around a core group of players. Having Hall’s contract hanging over the organization sucks enough. Call me crazy but I would contemplate trading the pick or pick Kakko for piece of mind.

Reactions: mdj12784

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
These aren’t Lou’s Devils. Ray by all accounts treats players well and the culture seems good. If Ray is buddies with dad and shows Jack the love during his time in NJ my guess is that they will have the inside track on Quinn when the time comes but there is also a younger brother to consider.

I’m not sure you can ask an 18 year old how he feels about something that will maybe happen 6-7 years from now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why is everyone so concerned with when Quinn is a UFA? You could be dead by then.

We all could be.

Just enjoy the current moment, or at least the upcoming year.

We’ve been burned one too many times by family considerations in FA and are somewhat paranoid but yeah worrying about a possible hypothetical that may not even be a factor *seven* years away is a bit much.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Wow! I was referring to a hypothetical reason for trading the first. I can’t see why the Devils would. Unless the prefer Byram but I can’t see Chicago trading up and don’t see him slipping past 4.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Lol ask him to predict 8 years from now is one way to piss him off

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m 32 years old and I have no idea where I want to be in seven years. Why would you expect the same from someone almost half that age?

God I feel old asking that question.

Reactions: Oneiro

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I’m 32 years old and I have no idea where I want to be in seven years. Why would you expect the same from someone almost half that age?

God I feel old asking that question.
Given how close Shero is to the Hughes family, the 'Nucks should be afraid that Quinn will come HERE.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Not that it would ever be on the table especially with his contract, but it seems like the only people you people would consider trading it for are possibly MacKinnon and McD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad