Proposal: Trading the 1st overall pick

Would you trade 1st overall pick for a young established NHL star

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Heh. I think I read that on the Canucks boards that they'd want US to add significantly for Peterson alone.

Canucks fans think number 1 overall is only worth Virtanen and Juolevi... maybe if we add Palmieri we could also get Tanev, but we'd have to ask real nice.

Reactions: New Jersey

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
NMW724u.gif

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Trading 1st overall for 1 player is not a good idea. However for multiple players it may be, but the other team would not want to do it.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The biggest issue with a trade is Hughes being exempt from Seattle expansion. It would mean losing someone like Miles Wood instead of someone like Brett Seney.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
You don't trade Hughes straight up for any of the players the OP mentioned. There's a good chance that he actually ends up being a better player than all three of them and he's cost controlled for three years. If you believe in him, he'll almost certainly end up being better than Point. Marner is winger who you will have to pay a ton the second you get him, which means that we're not really adding anything else in free agency or via trade.

You might have to think about it for Pettersson. But I would just rather split the difference with the fact that Hughes has one more year of not getting paid much and that Hughes has a unique skill set that Petterson doesn't. Drafting Hughes is also more exciting to the fans than trading him.

Point in his 3rd NHL season had over 40 goals and 90 points. Is great defensively and won 50% of faceoffs. If Jack Hughes can reach that level of production, I'll be ecstatic.

Reactions: devilsblood

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Point in his 3rd NHL season had over 40 goals and 90 points. Is great defensively and won 50% of faceoffs. If Jack Hughes can reach that level of production, I'll be ecstatic.

Point’s also 23 and had his breakout offensive year and was on a stacked team. It wouldn’t be that shocking if he regresses to be a very consistent 70 or 80 point player, which you obviously would take any day, but it’s not a one for one deal for the number 1 overall pick, especially one that gets called “special.”

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
I almost hope he busts. My God. Didn’t take a NHL shift and he’s Gretzky. For Matthews? In a heartbeat. Better the Devil you know.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I wonder how the franchise would have been different if the Rockies didn't **** up the 1980 and 1982 draft.

The 1980 #1 pick was Doug Wickenheiser. Though has he not signed with the WHA (and he hadn’t when the trade was made something like 4 years earlier), I believe it was supposed to be Gretzky’s draft year as the draft age for the NHL then was 20.

And of course 1983 (I’m assuming you meant 83 and that was the pick the Rockies traded away years earlier to the Islanders), would have been either LaFontaine or Yzerman.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Unite the Boqvist brothers!

1OA for Adam Boqvist and 3OA.
Walk out with Boqvist and Byram.
Profit.
Saw this on another site:
J. Boqvist+ 2 2nds to Chi for 3 OA.

Fitz said Boqvist was like a first Rd pick.
A. What else would it take?
B. Would you do it?
C. Assume it would be Byram, if not who?
Don't go nuts it's a discussion. I have no idea value of Boqvist.
Have fun!

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Saw this on another site:
J. Boqvist+ 2 2nds to Chi for 3 OA.

Fitz said Boqvist was like a first Rd pick.
A. What else would it take?
B. Would you do it?
C. Assume it would be Byram, if not who?
Don't go nuts it's a discussion. I have no idea value of Boqvist.
Have fun!
I don't think that works as the basis of a trade for CHI. The plus on top would have to be considerable and I question whether we're in a position to give up that much, as we need some depth at all positions.

I'm pretty high on Boqvist, but I'd give up the above pretty easily for Byram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad