Would you trade 1st overall pick for a young established NHL star

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If Shero was offered a young established star for the first overall pick. Would you do the trade?

3 Candidates come to mind:
Elias Pettersson - If Vancouver wants to re-unite Hughes brothers
Brayden Point - Tampa has salary cap issues.
Mitch Marner - Toronto has salary cap issues.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It would be a hard no on any of them straight up. In a package is debatable. Heck I'd probably rather have Kakko than any of those individual wingers just cause he at least brings the grinder element with skill. But I'd rather have the center over any winger.

Reactions: Bleedred

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Voted NO.
It is the first battle of the long Hudson War. And you have the advantage of first pick...

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Marner and Point would be an easy No. I'm not really interested in them even with an add-on. EP is more tempting, but I wouldn't do it 1 for 1. EP and 10OA I'd really have to start thinking hard though and would probably do it although if I were Shero I'd also want to get some input from Hall. If he wants to play with Jack that would certainly change things.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
nope. the only deal i’d entertain is the first OA for pettersson and the canucks first round pick, which vancouver would never do. i’m more than happy walking out of the first round with hughes

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I said before the perfect situation for the devils would've been if the canucks had the #2 pick. They would've made a really sweet offer to get jack and quinn together and the devils still would get kakko.

Marner with other pieces is pretty tempting though. I get that jack's ceiling is higher but marner you know what you are getting also depends on what the extra pieces are. first this year first next year and marner? thats a nice return but i rather have nhl players coming back with him

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No. The number 1 pick would be cheaper in the short term, under team control for a longer period of time, and could very well end up being a better player than all 3.

i agree that he is cheaper on the ELC but that is only good if the devils plan to utilize that and SPEND MONEY this summer. which IMO they absolutely have to do before nico gets 8 or whatever and hughes gets 10 or whatever.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I might consider it if it was to Chicago for their #1 this year, Debrincat, and Boqvist. They wouldn't do it though so yea.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
You don't trade Hughes straight up for any of the players the OP mentioned. There's a good chance that he actually ends up being a better player than all three of them and he's cost controlled for three years. If you believe in him, he'll almost certainly end up being better than Point. Marner is winger who you will have to pay a ton the second you get him, which means that we're not really adding anything else in free agency or via trade.

You might have to think about it for Pettersson. But I would just rather split the difference with the fact that Hughes has one more year of not getting paid much and that Hughes has a unique skill set that Petterson doesn't. Drafting Hughes is also more exciting to the fans than trading him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I might consider it if it was to Chicago for their #1 this year, Debrincat, and Boqvist. They wouldn't do it though so yea.

yep i said something similar a few days ago, minus boqvist. that obviously sweetens the pot, i would definitely make that deal

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would absolutely not trade Hughes for any of those players. Trading him for Point would be highway robbery for Tampa and I wouldn't move him for Pettersson regardless of cap structure. Marner is maybe a closer call if we take away cap considerations, but I still think Hughes will have the better career. I would have to be absolutely blown away to trade Hughes (Pettersson + Boeser + 10th overall), which a team like Vancouver would never do.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Unite the Boqvist brothers!

1OA for Adam Boqvist and 3OA.
Walk out with Boqvist and Byram.
Profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad