Proposal: Trading the 1st overall pick

Would you trade 1st overall pick for a young established NHL star

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder how the franchise would have been different if the Rockies didn't **** up the 1980 and 1982 draft.
A couple of the pre-Lou Devils first rounders were also laughers.

Neil Brady and Craig Wolanin.

Wolanin was a decent NHL defenseman, but just an average one. Nothing elite and never was. Had an okay career.

Brady is probably the biggest bust in Devils history. We've had some whiffs, but that was a flushed 3rd overall pick.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't think that works as the basis of a trade for CHI. The plus on top would have to be considerable and I question whether we're in a position to give up that much, as we need some depth at all positions.

I'm pretty high on Boqvist, but I'd give up the above pretty easily for Byram.
Honestly, I'd even give up quite a bit more for Byram.

Reactions: Bet the Over

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
the team is reaching a point where they can't be trading for future pieces and players. they have a decent young core that is "cheap" they need to be adding nhl level sure talent to surround them with.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Saw this on another site:
J. Boqvist+ 2 2nds to Chi for 3 OA.

Fitz said Boqvist was like a first Rd pick.
A. What else would it take?
B. Would you do it?
C. Assume it would be Byram, if not who?
Don't go nuts it's a discussion. I have no idea value of Boqvist.
Have fun!

I do that easily, CHI wouldn't. Jesper Boqvist isn't really who they need for the future, although maybe with the boqvist brother factor, if the devils added a bit more it'd get chi thinking.

Reactions: kidkosher

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I do that easily, CHI wouldn't. Jesper Boqvist isn't really who they need for the future, although maybe with the boqvist brother factor, if the devils added a bit more it'd get chi thinking.

they have maybe the worst forward prospect group in the NHL and are lacking depth as is. I dont think they do that trade but Boqvist would be by far their best forward prospect and is a type of player who they desperately need.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Wolanin was a decent NHL defenseman, but just an average one. Nothing elite and never was. Had an okay career.

Brady is probably the biggest bust in Devils history. We've had some whiffs, but that was a flushed 3rd overall pick.

I suspect that scouting and drafting has gotten a lot better since then across the board.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Lance Ward is my choice for that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
they have maybe the worst forward prospect group in the NHL and are lacking depth as is. I dont think they do that trade but Boqvist would be by far their best forward prospect and is a type of player who they desperately need.

they aren't going to trade the #3 pick for a guy drafted 2nd round that hasn't played in the nhl yet. it just looks bad even if you throw on 3 years worth of 2nd round picks.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
they aren't going to trade the #3 pick for a guy drafted 2nd round that hasn't played in the nhl yet. it just looks bad even if you throw on 3 years worth of 2nd round picks.

Once again, didnt say they would, the original post said Boqvist isnt someone they need, that is false.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
That has nothing to do with what you originally said and what I was saying.

uhhhh actually it does? Turcotte is a potential #1C (who would fit their needs for a toews replacement much better than boqvist would) and Byram is a #1 LD to replace Keith, which they don't really have any replacements tbh.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Once again, didnt say they would, the original post said Boqvist isnt someone they need, that is false.

You're taking this way too literally. I didn't mean they don't need Boqvist at all. I'm saying it's not a priority for them to be giving up that #3 pick. Boqvist is more of a luxury than a need. Would you trade the #1 pick for a LW? it's kind of the same idea.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
You're taking this way too literally. I didn't mean they don't need Boqvist at all. I'm saying it's not a priority for them to be giving up that #3 pick. Boqvist is more of a luxury than a need. Would you trade the #1 pick for a LW? it's kind of the same idea.

You said Boqvist is not who they need. I said they would not do that trade, its obvious they wouldn't.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You'd be stupid not to do that move.
There's actually a lot to consider. How much better is McDavid than Hughes? A lot, yes, but several years less cost controlled, plus taking on like 18M in salary so you have to dump players next year, plus no space to upgrade the D.

It's not really as cut and dried as you'd think in the salary cap world.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
There's actually a lot to consider. How much better is McDavid than Hughes? A lot, yes, but several years less cost controlled, plus taking on like 18M in salary so you have to dump players next year, plus no space to upgrade the D.

It's not really as cut and dried as you'd think in the salary cap world.
Hughes will be great, but McDavid is on another level, one where Hughes won't ever reach likely, if we're being honest. I think the taking on that contract is worth the difference, especially given how young McDavid is.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hughes will be great, but McDavid is on another level, one where Hughes won't ever reach likely, if we're being honest. I think the taking on that contract is worth the difference, especially given how young McDavid is.
Absolutely no question he's on another level.

I dunno if you saw earlier conversations, but after re-signing players like Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, and Vatanen next year, we're guessing we're going to have about 13M in cap space, give or take a couple million. Even if you guestimate 16M of space, we don't have enough to re-sign everyone, much less pay for a 1LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->