Proposal: Trades

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I posted this to a thread about Tyler Johnson being asked to waive his NMC.

DET: Sam Gagner ($850k, 1 year) + one of EDM or NYR's 2nd rounder in 2021 (Likely in the high 40s to low 50s) OR DET's 3rd (Low 60s)
TBL: Tyler Johnson ($5 mil, 4 years) + TBL's 1st in 2021 (mid to high 20s)

Detroit gets a major upgrade at 2C, and an upgrade to the late first round while providing major cap relief for Tampa Bay. And there's always the possibility of letting Johnson go to Seattle in the expansion draft since he's a Spokane guy. Not quite his hometown, but close enough for marketing.

That's not a crazy idea, is it?
I wouldn’t say Johnson currently is much better than Fabbri whose gonna be the 2c this year

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I wouldn’t say Johnson currently is much better than Fabbri whose gonna be the 2c this year

I really like Fabbri but I think he'd be a better W than a C. Johnson has a proven track record as a center. And worst case scenario, Johnson plays W while Fabbri takes the C spot. Either way, we get another productive top 6 player AND another 1st round pick.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I really like Fabbri but I think he'd be a better W than a C. Johnson has a proven track record as a center. And worst case scenario, Johnson plays W while Fabbri takes the C spot. Either way, we get another productive top 6 player AND another 1st round pick.
Fair enough. No complaints there

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I posted this to a thread about Tyler Johnson being asked to waive his NMC.

DET: Sam Gagner ($850k, 1 year) + one of EDM or NYR's 2nd rounder in 2021 (Likely in the high 40s to low 50s) OR DET's 3rd (Low 60s)
TBL: Tyler Johnson ($5 mil, 4 years) + TBL's 1st in 2021 (mid to high 20s)

Detroit gets a major upgrade at 2C, and an upgrade to the late first round while providing major cap relief for Tampa Bay. And there's always the possibility of letting Johnson go to Seattle in the expansion draft since he's a Spokane guy. Not quite his hometown, but close enough for marketing.

That's not a crazy idea, is it?
I think the Wings will end up trading for Johnson but I don't see Gagner going the other way. They just signed him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think the Wings will end up trading for Johnson but I don't see Gagner going the other way. They just signed him.

I get that Gagner was just signed, but for depth purposes Tampa may want something back in return. As much as I want it to be Nielsen or Abdelkader we know that won't happen. Gagner can provide decent depth in a limited 3rd line role for the small cap hit he has. And it makes it easy for Tampa to move him to the minors or waive him if he can't cut it there.

Also, if Johnson gets moved to Detroit where does Gagner fit in? Realistically, Rasmussen is up on the roster full time this season so he and Glendening get the 3/4c spots, while Filpulla does spot duty as 3c/3w. Larkin is definitely 1c on this team, and either Fabbri or Johnson is 2c. Gagner is kind of the odd man out.

Can he play wing effectively? I don't think I've ever seen him do that in EDM.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And there's always the possibility of letting Johnson go to Seattle in the expansion draft since he's a Spokane guy. Not quite his hometown, but close enough for marketing.
Season tickets are sold out, and Seattle doesn't have a basketball team so everyone's gonna be watching even without marketing. But there are a lot of fans that want both TJs. Oshie is from Everett.

If TJ is exposed in the expansion draft (with the WIngs), he'll get picked simply because he's the most talented player available. I think Tampa makes a deal with Seattle to get rid of one of their NTC players in the expansion draft. This COVID deal and flat cap makes the VGK scenario very likely again where Seattle starts of with a really good team.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Season tickets are sold out, and Seattle doesn't have a basketball team so everyone's gonna be watching even without marketing. But there are a lot of fans that want both TJs. Oshie is from Everett.

If TJ is exposed in the expansion draft (with the WIngs), he'll get picked simply because he's the most talented player available. I think Tampa makes a deal with Seattle to get rid of one of their NTC players in the expansion draft. This COVID deal and flat cap makes the VGK scenario very likely again where Seattle starts of with a really good team.
This is good for us b/c we're not really gonna lose anybody too worthwhile. Possibly DDK w/1yr term @mkt. value or Lindstrom...TBD. (I'd protect Lindstrom & trade DDK @ TDL). Possibly a F?

This is also bad for the rest of the NHL, which means it's also good for us.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Let's say Vegas calls, and offers Fleury along with their 1st rounder (29th overall) for future considerations. Would you do it?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is good for us b/c we're not really gonna lose anybody too worthwhile. Possibly DDK w/1yr term @mkt. value or Lindstrom...TBD. (I'd protect Lindstrom & trade DDK @ TDL). Possibly a F?

This is also bad for the rest of the NHL, which means it's also good for us.
It's bad for the rest of NHL for sure.

It's neither good or bad for the Wings, just like the last expansion draft. You can't lose talent when you don't have any, lol. Doesn't really make a difference if the team loses DDK, Bowey , Cholo, or any bottom 6 forward.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Let's say Vegas calls, and offers Fleury along with their 1st rounder (29th overall) for future considerations. Would you do it?

I would because I truly believe we can either keep him (we have the cap) or we could flip him with 50% retention and receive another asset from a contender

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I would because I truly believe we can either keep him (we have the cap) or we could flip him with 50% retention and receive another asset from a contender

Yeah I agree we could keep him. I'd rather have Fleury at 7 mil for 2 years than Markstrom at 6 million for 4 years if it comes with a bonus 1st round pick.

I'd also rather Fleury at 7 mil (plus a 1st rounder) than someone like Greiss or Talbot at 4 mil.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I value the near NHL ready C/LD prospects way more than I do a ~25-31st OA magic bean. Besides having 1-3 yrs. data & video, they slot into our core age better, while providing some immediate or near immediate desperately needed help, which makes our "new core vets" -Larkin/Mantha/Bert/Hronek etc. happier & more likely to stay, sign for a better $ & term, less stress on the organization as a whole, fans are happier, ticket sales/merchandise sales go up. Just a collective positive overall & potentially increases (albeit slightly) trade value of any of our players.

Now get us Glass & a 1st plz, get 'er done Stevie, even if we have to add Cholo.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

According to internet rumors they're only trying a 2nd and Fleury. If a 1st was in play I might consider it because he still has some gas in the tank. But he's also got a 2 year, 14 million contract. That's a lot of money. I'd be happier if they offered us Stastny and a 2nd for future considerations. Immediate upgrade to our 2C spot.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
According to internet rumors they're only trying a 2nd and Fleury. If a 1st was in play I might consider it because he still has some gas in the tank. But he's also got a 2 year, 14 million contract. That's a lot of money. I'd be happier if they offered us Stastny and a 2nd for future considerations. Immediate upgrade to our 2C spot.

I'd be ok with Stastny, but I'd still push for their 1st in return.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Notice no team has bit on their "generous" 2nd pick ? They're gonna be gunning for Petro on Fri., 76 hrs from now. They'll have to up their offer in the next day or 2. They've got the squad to win a Cup now, they shouldn't squander another good chance for a measly 31 spots in a draft. They also know that a 2nd is a joke of a sweetener on $14m cap, I bet they were thinking they'd be paying a 1st this whole time, but won't make that their initial offer (thus showing desperation).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
LeBrun was saying Vegas could be looking to move Martinez to make room for Pietrangelo. Martinez only has one year left, can play either side, is still a 2nd pairing defender, and Vegas won't need to give up as much to get rid of him. I'd love to get Martinez and have Vegas chip in Nicolas Roy. I've said it before on here but Roy would immediately be our 2nd best center, looks like a 2/3C long term, and had a great playoffs. He is also looking at a centre logjam in Vegas; Karlsson, Statsny, and Glass ahead of him now, with Krebs probably leapfrogging him in the next few years.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
LeBrun was saying Vegas could be looking to move Martinez to make room for Pietrangelo. Martinez only has one year left, can play either side, is still a 2nd pairing defender, and Vegas won't need to give up as much to get rid of him. I'd love to get Martinez and have Vegas chip in Nicolas Roy. I've said it before on here but Roy would immediately be our 2nd best center, looks like a 2/3C long term, and had a great playoffs. He is also looking at a centre logjam in Vegas; Karlsson, Statsny, and Glass ahead of him now, with Krebs probably leapfrogging him in the next few years.

Martinez doesn’t have negative value. Vegas won’t have to give up an asset to move him. The would get a decent return.

Reactions: Martinez

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Notice no team has bit on their "generous" 2nd pick ? They're gonna be gunning for Petro on Fri., 76 hrs from now. They'll have to up their offer in the next day or 2. They've got the squad to win a Cup now, they shouldn't squander another good chance for a measly 31 spots in a draft. They also know that a 2nd is a joke of a sweetener on $14m cap, I bet they were thinking they'd be paying a 1st this whole time, but won't make that their initial offer (thus showing desperation).
Yep. I hope Detroit bides their time and lets some teams sweat it out awhile to maximize their returns.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Martinez doesn’t have negative value. Vegas won’t have to give up an asset to move him. The would get a decent return.
Yeah fair enough, he got 2 late seconds for 2 cost-controlled seasons, and has one season left. I guess the premium there is moving him before the bidding starts on the big name D, but if they are able to sign Pietrangelo first and then deal Martinez to a team that lost the bidding war, they could probably still get a 2nd or 3rd for him. I previously posted McNabb and Roy for a late pick, which is probably better value.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I actually mentioned Martinez as a possibility 2 pages ago, if VGK doesn't want to give up a lot of assets to get rid of MAF.

I think there's a few teams that would take Martinez, the Caps for example.... I know Martinez (when healthy) is better than Gudas, and the Caps have space because they aren't re-signing Holtby or Gudas.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yep. I hope Detroit bides their time and lets some teams sweat it out awhile to maximize their returns.

Exactly. We are not going to be a playoff contender... There is no rush to help these teams. We are in the position of power with our cap space and roster flexibility.. If other teams wants to bite at lower picks and assets to take on bad contracts, go ahead. We either get high level picks or assets or let those teams stay up against the cap and try to scoop some of the premium UFAs who have no where to go. I dont doubt Steve has already thought of this and by taking Staal for a 2nd with only a year left he set the price... 1st or more for anything over a year or anything higher than 5 mil.

We can also let this entire wacky off season pass us by.. Make our draft choices, see if there is value on the free agent market and continue to let the young players filter into the line up as they develop. Flexibility is nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad