Proposal: Trades

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Wow, all it took was a fifth? I knew Murray never panned out as expected but I thought he was worth more than that.

Remember when NYI offered literally all of their picks that year for the #2 pick to take Murray?

Yeah, think Murray is a decent D and is gonna replace Andy Greene duties for them.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I would have been interested in Nutivaara and Murray at those prices, hope Yzerman can grab a guy like that cheap

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I would have been interested in Nutivaara and Murray at those prices, hope Yzerman can grab a guy like that cheap

Generally speaking, I would too. However an important element to consider is opportunity cost. If we traded for Murray maybe we are unable to take on the Fleury contract or sign Krug. Maybe those specifics moves don’t actually happen but the point is there are a tone of options in front of Yzerman and pulling the trigger on one will limit/prevent others. Personally, I don’t have a clear vision on who my priorities would be but ultimately any moves we make come at the expense of other options.

Obviously this is always true but I think it’s more prevalent in this unusual off season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Generally speaking, I would too. However an important element to consider is opportunity cost. If we traded for Murray maybe we are unable to take on the Fleury contract or sign Krug. Maybe those specifics moves don’t actually happen but the point is there are a tone of options in front of Yzerman and pulling the trigger on one will limit/prevent others. Personally, I don’t have a clear vision on who my priorities would be but ultimately any moves we make come at the expense of other options.

Obviously this is always true but I think it’s more prevalent in this unusual off season.

Absolutely, I don't know what is going to happen today or over the next couple months, nor do I know what the front office's overall vision is for next season

I'm just mentioning there were two pretty solid quality ~#4/5 guys moved for next to nothing, and IMO there is a good opportunity to grab someone who could either fit in for the next few years, or if the team would rather just grab them in hopes of flipping them for more later they can go that route, too

But yeah the team might take on 2-3 more cap dumps over the next couple of days to grab additional assets as well as sign say Krug or someone, and the cap space is all gone so spending $4.6 on Ryan Murray doesn't fit

Reactions: SirloinUB

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

I think Yzerman sees what he can get for "free" in free agency first. There will be no shortage of teams still trying to shed salary tomorrow. Sure mid round picks are not a huge price but during a rebuild, picks and prospects are your #1 currency. Lots of younger players who were not qualified are available.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Wonder if there’s any interest in Nate Schmidt from Vegas. 6ft, near 30pt+ defenseman, left handed. He’s currently making just shy of $6mil so I think he could be had as a cap casualty rather than a straight up trade. Maybe we could send over Nemeth/Cholo and a 2nd/3rd to get him.

Chicago is looking for a middle 6 fwd which is inciting. I wouldn’t mind trying to pull their first away from them, even if it meant sending something decent back their way. That could be a lottery pick this year, albeit not a top 3 % one.

Edit:fixed RH to LH

Last edited:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Wonder if there’s any interest in Nate Schmidt from Vegas. 6ft, near 30pt+ defenseman, right handed. He’s currently making just shy of $6mil so I think he could be had as a cap casualty rather than a straight up trade. Maybe we could send over Nemeth/Cholo and a 2nd/3rd to get him.

Chicago is looking for a middle 6 fwd which is inciting. I wouldn’t mind trying to pull their first away from them, even if it meant sending something decent back their way. That could be a lottery pick this year, albeit not a top 3 % one.

schmidt is LH shot not RH

Reactions: DatsDeking

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Wonder if there’s any interest in Nate Schmidt from Vegas. 6ft, near 30pt+ defenseman, right handed. He’s currently making just shy of $6mil so I think he could be had as a cap casualty rather than a straight up trade. Maybe we could send over Nemeth/Cholo and a 2nd/3rd to get him.

Schmidt is being traded to Florida

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
I'd prefer a deal focused on Martinez + MAF + incentives. I prefer Martinez because he's in the final year of his contract and doesn't have any trade protection. Schmidt still has 5yrs remaining and a 10 team no trade.
This would clear 11M in cap for Vegas, which is probably what they'll have to do at minimum.
Worst case you maintain 50% cap hit for both and flip them for futures or prospects.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No way we take on MAF at this point. That ship has sailed

I forsee a deal with Tampa not for TJ but Palat or Kilorn plus a pick (2022 2nd)and prospect (cal foote)

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Jack Roslovic appears to be available from Winnipeg. He could be a nice buy-low with upside. A forward would have to be moved out or buried though, for sure. He would add to our center depth pretty nicely.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Jack Roslovic appears to be available from Winnipeg. He could be a nice buy-low with upside. A forward would have to be moved out or buried though, for sure. He would add to our center depth pretty nicely.
Wonder what the cost would be.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I know they need RD help, Not sure what RD we could move for Roslovic.

I think LD might be the bigger need there with Demelo and Pionk kind of locked into the top 4 on the right side and I don't necessarily think Forbert is the guy you want on your 2nd pair LD.

Cholowski is a guy they might be interested in, but I think him and Pionk would be nightmare 2nd pairing so I'd have to think they are probably looking for someone more steady.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm wondering if some of the teams that have cap space are holding off on the [bad contract]+[sweetener] for [small return] type deals in hopes that some of the cap strapped contenders get desperate enough to offer up good players at discounted rates.

Would be cool to see Yzerman strike gold like the Islanders did 6 years ago pulling in Boychuk and Leddy right before teams needed to get compliant.

Ironically, the Islanders are now one of those teams that might get desperate to open up space.

Reactions: Winger98

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’m not really interested in the team taking multi year cap dumps unless high end quality prospects are coming back. Flexibility is paramount with the landscape over the NHL the next couple years. We already have 16 draft picks in the first 2 rounds over the 4 year span of 2018-2021. Adding second round picks isn’t appealing at all for multi year cap dumps.

I wonder if there is any chance we could swing Veleno + for Cirelli

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad