Proposal: Trades

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
One thing to keep in mind with Tyler Johnson is that for the right price, he could make a pretty good protection plan for the expansion draft. Let him come in and plug a hole somewhere in the middle 6 for a season and maybe try to rebound a bit. Then leave him exposed to Seattle, where they'll probably feel somewhat obligated to take him due his being a WA native, similar to when Vegas took Engelland, as opposed to taking a younger guy the Wings have to leave exposed.

That's probably why Johnson is open to waive his NTC, since he probably knows there's a good chance wherever he lands is a 1 year stop before he ends in Seattle.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
stupid question but why is Columbus looking to move Korpisalo? He's cheap, and good insurance for Merziwhatever.

From what I've read, Columbus is hoping one of their goalies can net them some help on the wing or a 2C.

It otherwise makes little sense. They have a good (and decently priced) tandem pretty much locked in for the next two season since Merzlikins is exempt from the ED.

My guess is they're hoping to sell high to get some assets for one of them now, and then just sign a capable #1B on the UFA market to replace them.

If the price is somewhere in the 2C range, I don't see why the Wings would make a play. I'd be worried about Korpisalo getting exposed going from a shot blocking defense first Tortorella team to playing behind an AHL level D in Detroit. On top of that, the Wings probably won't be close to being contenders in two years when he can walk as a UFA and would likely need decent money and term to be convinced to stick around.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
From what I've read, Columbus is hoping one of their goalies can net them some help on the wing or a 2C.

It otherwise makes little sense. They have a good (and decently priced) tandem pretty much locked in for the next two season since Merzlikins is exempt from the ED.

My guess is they're hoping to sell high to get some assets for one of them now, and then just sign a capable #1B on the UFA market to replace them.

If the price is somewhere in the 2C range, I don't see why the Wings would make a play. I'd be worried about Korpisalo getting exposed going from a shot blocking defense first Tortorella team to playing behind an AHL level D in Detroit. On top of that, the Wings probably won't be close to being contenders in two years when he can walk as a UFA and would likely need decent money and term to be convinced to stick around.

I think they're dreaming a bit if they think they can pull a good 2C from anyone for a goalie, but that's just me. Better luck just going after Turris and keeping Korpisalo.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The majority of free agent goalies are mid 30's or ones who will demand the big buck. Korpisalo would be a good option and 26 years old.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The majority of free agent goalies are mid 30's or ones who will demand the big buck. Korpisalo would be a good option and 26 years old.

The Wings don't necessarily need to pin down their goalie of the future now. They can get by on decent guys in their mid 30's on short term while they wait for a longer term option from within or at a decent price.

The nice thing about a UFA goalie is that they don't cost any assets other than cap space. The Wings would have to give up some assets to get Korpisalo. Though, if you consider his contract, other than age he won't be much different than a short term UFA vet goalie. He's set to hit the UFA market after 21-22, and if they Wings aren't closer to competing they risk having to move him as a deadline rental or seeing him walk as a UFA.

That said, it depends on what those trade assets are. If it's Yzerman swindling Columbus for Korpisalo like he did Bishop from Ottawa, or getting him in some deal where the Wings are also helping the Jackets open salary (IE Wennberg?) for a bargain return, then sure. But if it's sending high picks and/or good players/prospects then I'd rather stick to the UFA market.

Reactions: Reddwit

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Wouldn’t mind taking a shot at Duclair
Ya duclair would be a really solid pickup. If wennberg gets bought out I would like him as well. Same with turris.

adding duclair, turris, and wennberg would allow us to have 3 scoring lines

Bert- Larkin- Duclair
Mantha- turris- zadina
Fabbri- wennberg- Gagner/ Svechnikov

that’s a pretty solid top 9

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ya duclair would be a really solid pickup. If wennberg gets bought out I would like him as well. Same with turris.

adding duclair, turris, and wennberg would allow us to have 3 scoring lines

Bert- Larkin- Duclair
Mantha- turris- zadina
Fabbri- wennberg- Gagner/ Svechnikov

that’s a pretty solid top 9
24 and he's played on 5 different teams. There's obviously an issue...

"
Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella, known for holding nothing back, let media know exactly what he thought of Duclair.
“Right now, I don’t know. I don’t think he knows how to play. I don’t. It seems to me he’s like a player that just feels he can get the puck because he’s so tremendously skilled, he can skate, he has all those things as you guys know. I just think he thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants on the ice. He can’t do it in the National Hockey League. We have spent a lot of time trying to teach him, trying to teach him situational play, away from the puck, all the stuff we do with players. Sometimes it looks like he’s understanding. So to answer your question, I don’t know. I don’t know if he just can’t comprehend it, or he’s just stubborn. But he’s running out of time.” (From: “Time running out on enigmatic Duclair, a skilled 23-year old on his fifth NHL team” – Ottawa Sun – Feb. 24, 2019).
"

Doesn't sound like a guy Yzerman would want. Might as well get AA back, lol.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
FLA/CBJ....RW Cliff Pu to FLA for Top4 LD M.Nutivaraa

Pu is a crappy return for Nut. He's a crappy AHL'er. I guess CBJ will try to make it work, throw it against the wall & see if it sticks. This looks & smells bad for CBJ & it's gonna leave a mark.

Reactions: Reddwit

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
FLA/CBJ....RW Cliff Pu to FLA for Top4 LD M.Nutivaraa

Pu is a crappy return for Nut. He's a crappy AHL'er. I guess CBJ will try to make it work, throw it against the wall & see if it sticks. This looks & smells bad for CBJ & it's gonna leave a mark.
Looks like a salary dump.... guessing they didn't want to trade with the Wings? Cliff Pu is borderline AHL, he's got some games in the ECHL.

Could have offered up any number of players better than that.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Wow, all it took was a fifth? I knew Murray never panned out as expected but I thought he was worth more than that.

Remember when NYI offered literally all of their picks that year for the #2 pick to take Murray?

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Disappointed we didn't acquire any cap dumps today to be honest! Tampa is supposed to be be aggressive and they haven't moved anyone.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Rumors have Columbus shopping Savard... I would make a big play for him.

I think Duclair found a fit in Ottawa, but they're trying to cut money. He's fast, skilled, and more defensively-responsible than AA (not a high bar, I know), and if we go for a cheap winger, I'd pick him. He can be that bottom-6 game breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad