Trades & Free Agency Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle is mediocre too and has been for the last year now, he's a larger Ennis. Yes, I'll take an actual center that plays hard every night for Coyle.

I'm not sure why people think Coyle is going to get a good return:
- The last calendar year (83 games) he's had 13g/28a.
- He's in his 7th season and has 1 x 20g season, 1 x 50p season, and 2 total 40p seasons.
- He's doesn't have the resume a Playoff performer.
- He's on pace for an 11g/25a (36p) season this year.
- He's not a PP weapon.

Look at all of that, and ignore the name Coyle, and tell me what would you be okay with GMPF giving to get this player as rental+1?

Larsson has 3 points in 24GP this year, and has a career high of 17 pts. in a season. He is a mediocre 4th liner.

If you truly think that Coyle is a larger Ennis then you need to get either your head examined, and/or your eyes checked.

I get that are are disappointed with Coyle's play and are partial to Buffalo players, but get a grip on yourself.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Larsson has 3 points in 24GP this year, and has a career high of 17 pts. in a season. He is a mediocre 4th liner.

If you truly think that Coyle is a larger Ennis then you need to get either your head examined, and/or your eyes checked.

I get that are are disappointed with Coyle's play and are partial to Buffalo players, but get a grip on yourself.

You're right, my bad, Ennis won't forget to shoot the puck... Did I say it was a 1-for-1 trade, no, Buf would add something to Larsson.

About this time last year I said Coyle for Reinhart (Buf) 1-for-1 and it was laughed at saying Buf needed to add. I don't even like Larsson that much, he's just a name I know people here will know. The players I want from Buf are out of Coyle's price range without MN making a big add.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wennberg is no prize. Makes 4.9 M(signed deal after a career best season...sound familiar?), is a defensive 3C who won't shoot, and tends to lack a pulse. Has talent, but is underwhelming CBJ fans...

He's a slightly smaller, younger, more expensive Coyle.

Has had issues with Tortorella.

What's your idea to help this team be better then? Sit tight with what we have and hope Brodin eventually becomes as good as you think he is?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What are thoughts on Spurgeon (retained) for Kapanen+Liljegren?

I like Liljegren a lot. Kapanen, I still think is more a product of his teammates, not someone who is going to carry a line.

If we trade Spurgeon I'd try and hold out for a 2C coming back.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it's an okay deal if we're going for a full re-tool and aiming for another window in 5 years.
That would be a rebuild.

Retool is something you do on the fly thus you want quick return. If you're targeting 5 years away, you aren't retooling, you're rebuilding.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're right, my bad, Ennis won't forget to shoot the puck... Did I say it was a 1-for-1 trade, no, Buf would add something to Larsson.

About this time last year I said Coyle for Reinhart (Buf) 1-for-1 and it was laughed at saying Buf needed to add. I don't even like Larsson that much, he's just a name I know people here will know. The players I want from Buf are out of Coyle's price range without MN making a big add.
You really think that Ennis is as good as Coyle? Or even better, because he "shoots the puck"?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not a fan of Faulk. He's a nice PP guy, but not good for much else. We have Pateryn and Prosser already on the team, with Bartkowski and Murphy (Spurgeon's injury replacement) in the AHL. Plus we'd have Liljegren; who might be ready by the end of the season.

I don't see Tor making that trade. They'll be counting on Liljegren's ELC to offset all the cap they are spending on FWDs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Would probably have to supplement it with a Nino/Coyle for Faulk, or similar type deal. Bring in a near-term RD replacement.
Don't see the point in trading for Faulk if you have Liljegren, Belpedio, Mennell, Murphy, and Prosser with the Johansson brothers coming down the pipe.

Reactions: Wabit

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You really think that Ennis is as good as Coyle? Or even better, because he "shoots the puck"?

Coyle plays too much like Ennis with the puck (too cute) and kills possessions. He plays like he's Ennis' size too. I'm not sure if Coyle or Stewie is more reluctant to use their body. Coyle is much more skilled than Ennis (since he fried his brain), not questioning that.

I'd be a huge Coyle fan if he played like Ennis tried to. I mean for all of Ennis' warts nobody ever questioned his drive/heart, he didn't take shifts (let alone games) off, even when he was garbage he still gave it his all every shift. Ennis tried to play like he was Coyle's size, driving the net, initiating contact, going to the dirty area's around the net.

Coyle plays like he's Ennis' size and floats around the o-zone way too much. He's even said he has to force himself to go to the net front and forgets to shoot. Those are things that shouldn't happen for a 6'2" 220lbs guy with 400+ NHL games under his belt.

I'll take a somewhat less skilled (overall), more effort, more consistent, 3C over him. I'm not sure if Coyle even gets a better return than Scandella got (Foligno+3rd) at this point.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
What are thoughts on Spurgeon (retained) for Kapanen+Liljegren?

I think that's more the return for Brodin. Kapanen didn't seem to gel with Granlund when they were on national team. He has some speed though which Wild are missing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Don't see the point in trading for Faulk if you have Liljegren, Belpedio, Mennell, Murphy, and Prosser with the Johansson brothers coming down the pipe.

An NHL caliber RD playing in the top 4 until Liljegren, Belpedio or the Johanssons are ready.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
On Coyle: it's probably safe to say that he won't be traded before Koivu comes back, and he'll spend the next few weeks as the 2C. If he plays well in that role, do we keep him as medium-term center depth? Or try to bank on his value rebounding and trade him?

Frankly, the time to make an in-season adjustment trade was about 3 weeks ago, so I'm hoping Russo's reporting is driven more by a beat writer's sense of dramatic timing than by what's actually happening in GMLand.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If you're not confident that one of your 6 or 7 RHD's can play in the NHL, then you're not going to trade Spurgeon to begin with

Or you keep Faulk around for the rest of the year, deal him when he has a year left, let Liljegren and Belpedio get another full season of AHL development, and then let them battle it out in camp next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad