Trades & Free Agency Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
aka the Ryan Nugent-Hopkins thread
We're kind of over him, aren't we(please God!). Having a good year, but he is not the sort of player that will move the needle much for the Wild, IMO.

I think the Wild need to wait a while longer and hope that Nino(especially) and Coyle start to produce at a better than .50 PPG, making them more attractive trade chips. Otherwise, they will have to look at trading one of their top 4 Dmen, if they want quality back. Don't see trading Zucker or Granlund, and the kids aren't worth much by themselves. Trading Staal would be admitting defeat this season, unless we get a C back, but I have no clue who would want to trade a good C for an expiring, mid 30's C, no matter how good he is.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's hard to imagine an in-season trade involving just Nino or Coyle that makes sense for us. The best you could hope for is a swap for someone like Toffoli, and frankly I'd rather just keep our guys. Trading either for futures just makes the team worse and probably doesn't yield the sort of picks/prospect you'd want. Trading either for an upgrade seems incredibly unlikely, but sometimes weird circumstances do pop up (like a player demanding a trade).

At this point I think we're probably best off just rolling with what we've got and sorting things out in the offseason. There's a lot of hockey left to play, but even now it seems like there are a number of teams out there that might be looking to do something decisive.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's hard to imagine an in-season trade involving just Nino or Coyle that makes sense for us. The best you could hope for is a swap for someone like Toffoli, and frankly I'd rather just keep our guys. Trading either for futures just makes the team worse and probably doesn't yield the sort of picks/prospect you'd want. Trading either for an upgrade seems incredibly unlikely, but sometimes weird circumstances do pop up (like a player demanding a trade).

At this point I think we're probably best off just rolling with what we've got and sorting things out in the offseason. There's a lot of hockey left to play, but even now it seems like there are a number of teams out there that might be looking to do something decisive.
Agree about Nino and Coyle, but they absolutely need to add a center. Soon.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Agree about Nino and Coyle, but they absolutely need to add a center. Soon.
Not sure what we could give up to acquire one worth acquiring, but if we're going to do it we definitely shouldn't wait until the deadline. If there's a deal out there for Spurgeon or Brodin for a center I'd definitely be curious. I also wouldn't necessarily have our 1st off the table, though I suspect Fenton would... unless he thought he could recoup one before the draft.

Assuming we don't want to trade a defenseman, something like this doesn't seem impossible (even if there are a lot of assumptions involved):

Mid-season: Min 1st (2019) for a middle-6 center that isn't a pure rental

Offseason, before the draft: Nino for a mid-late 1st​

With whatever +'s end up being required.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not sure what we could give up to acquire one worth acquiring, but if we're going to do it we definitely shouldn't wait until the deadline. If there's a deal out there for Spurgeon or Brodin for a center I'd definitely be curious. I also wouldn't necessarily have our 1st off the table, though I suspect Fenton would... unless he thought he could recoup one before the draft.

Assuming we don't want to trade a defenseman, something like this doesn't seem impossible (even if there are a lot of assumptions involved):

Mid-season: Min 1st (2019) for a middle-6 center that isn't a pure rental

Offseason, before the draft: Nino for a mid-late 1st​

With whatever +'s end up being required.
With the Way that Staal and Koivu are playing, the Wild have options. Doesn't have to be a top 6 guy if they're not interested in breaking up the d-core. Probably doesn't even have to be a center, if they're willing to run Coyle there, but then you need a better winger for that line.

The 1st shoud certainly be in play, for the right guy.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just read a piece Russo has on the Athletic. Things could change on the Nylander front if the Wild don’t bounce back in the coming weeks. Listed the team as follows:

Would likely move: Coyle, Nino, Brown, Hendricks

Would consider moving: Staal, Eriksson Ek, Prosser, Stalock, Fehr

Doubtful they’d trade in-season: Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon, Koivu, Zucker, Foligno, Pateryn

Not being traded: Granlund, Dubnyk, Parise, Suter, Greenway, Seeler, Kunin

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Just read a piece Russo has on the Athletic. Things could change on the Nylander front if the Wild don’t bounce back in the coming weeks. Listed the team as follows:

Doubtful they’d trade in-season: Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon, Koivu, Zucker, Foligno, Pateryn

Why is the last 3 there rated higher than Dumba?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He noted on Staal, that they would only consider if they thought the season was done and thus would look to move him before the deadline. The rest in that group had no such stipulation.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Why is the last 3 there rated higher than Dumba?

There is zero doubt in my mind that a guy who was part of the decisions to trade Seth Jones and Samuel Girard would also be willing to trade AHL regular Luke Kunin or Jordan Greenway or EVEN Nick Seeler for the right package. The only real untradables in the NHL are guys with contracts like Parise's. And even then - Fenton and Poile moved Shea Weber.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
None of those guys mentioned move the needle, at all, for me.

It's really hard to " win" a trade to any noticable extent. Nino and Dubnyk trades are rare. Usually it's more of a case of trading a dollar for a dollar. Given our needs, I think that draft picks are the way to go.

Wild have done relatively well, but everyone is healthy. I see a team that can compete with just about any other team in a one game scenario, but not one that can win a 7 game series against a top team, let alone a string of series, which is what is needed to win a Cup.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So.... Nino + Zucker + Ennis + (a good amount of cap space) for Domi + Dvorak?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

The only thing that I got out of that article is the fact that Russo is getting nothing from the current front office.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would trade Spurgeon (with a small +) for Nylander, but would hate myself the next morning. Foligno and his cap $$ might have to go to make the deal work.

I would trade Dumba/Spurgeon + Nino/Coyle + for Draisaitl.

Draisaitl might not be available at all, but there has to be some pressure on EDM to do something. Conditions are similar to what they were prior to the Hall trade.

Nylander would definitely be available, I would think.

I don't know of any other top line, young C's who are available right now. I would imagine that Wennburg/Galchenyuk types could be had, but to say that they are question marks is putting it mildly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad