Trades and Free Agency 2021 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This next offseason will be similar to this one IMO. Lots of good players whos contracts are coming up in an offseason where owners have no cap space, and are coming off loosing a ton of money.

A lot of middle/ upper middle talents will be squeezed by the lack of money and cap staying flat.
With the 3.5m going out, you can probably sign a bigger impact C on a short term deal.
Its super early, but some decent names that could fall into that - 3.5m range.
Copp? Lowry, Wennberg? Statsny? Danault? Granlund? Stall?
Heck maybe even Getzlaf if he wants to take another run at the cup on a cheap deal (he will be 37, and could replace Jumbo Joe as another grandpa in the room) would make a good amount of sense.

My point being there are a few guys on the Leafs I could see them moving on from to save some cash, so they can afford Hyman, Dermott and whoever their goalie ends up being (Im assuming the Leafs will look into guys like Grubauer, Mrazec, Ullmark etc)

**Side note** The Leafs STILL have 1.2m next year against the cap on the Kessel deal. Insane! **

I can definitely see the team moving on from Kerfoot in the offseason via the expansion draft or a trade. I just don't know if that trade in particular, or anything during the season due in part to expansion, is the way to go.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can definitely see the team moving on from Kerfoot in the offseason via the expansion draft or a trade. I just don't know if that trade in particular, or anything during the season due in part to expansion, is the way to go.

The fact he can play centre and how hard it is to find any likely results in him being claimed. If Seattle finds centres elsewhere then Dermott is going.

Reactions: Buds17

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
This guy is saying Leafs are looking at Filip Forsberg

Start watching at 5:30

i was looking at him in the draft, and was ecstatic that he didnt go at #4 as expected, then we called out Rielly instead, and somehow he slid ...most goals and points from his draft year.
most shocking part of that draft is Gally who sits at 2nd in points, and 3rd in goals (for the entire draft year), and is considered a huge bust.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The fact he can play centre and how hard it is to find any likely results in him being claimed. If Seattle finds centres elsewhere then Dermott is going.

I think Dubas would have to move Dermott for assets before losing him for nothing to Seattle. Dermott has value and there are teams who could take a chance on him as a top 4 D.

Reactions: ToneDog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Sounds good. My thought is that Dermott also goes to Seattle if there is no Kerfoot to select from the Leafs. Have to gauge if losing Kerfoot "now" (for two players that could walk - from that hypothetical w/NSH) is potentially worth also losing Dermott then?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sounds good. My thought is that Dermott also goes to Seattle if there is no Kerfoot to select from the Leafs. Have to gauge if losing Kerfoot "now" (for two players that could walk - from that hypothetical w/NSH) is potentially worth also losing Dermott then?

No guarantee who goes to Seattle. Although it did not happen much in the last expansion draft, I expect teams to move players for less than market value, rather that giving Seattle sweeteners not to take a specific player.

Reactions: Buds17

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Can we just not do Rielly and something for Ekholm and Haula? Makes our top 4 probably the best we've ever had with a very good 3rd pairing and Haula is a very good 3rd line C.

Reactions: geo25

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Can we just not do Rielly and something for Ekholm and Haula? Makes our top 4 probably the best we've ever had with a very good 3rd pairing and Haula is a very good 3rd line C.

That's an interesting thought. I'd be worried about the dynamics in the room, but yeah, Rielly + assets for a better D plus bottom 6 forward upgrade would be really enticing if such a deal could be made to work.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I really think Forsberg is the only player worth our time. Im curious if a deal could be had with retention. I think given that this is the best chance the leafs have at a Stanley Cup maybe ever, now might be the time to off load the 1st rounders. I would NOT move any of our high prospects (Robby, Lilly, Sandy). They project to be big parts of our future and are far more a guarantee than late 1st round picks. Also, having Filip for 2 years is not all that dissimilar to when we acquired Muzz from the kings a couple years back. Obviously Muzz was not at the caliber then as Forsberg is now. But KD will likely not give up a kings ransom for only 1 playoff run. Forsberg w/ retention actually makes a ton of sense. I am really not a huge fan of getting rid of first rounders. But this really is the time to strike. Nashville will need to do a modified retool soon. They have an ugly contract with Duchene and kinda ugly Johhanson deal, and despite their popularity in Nashville, I suspect they are still very much a gate driven organization. As most are in the USA. Leading me to believe they will likely not be in a position to resign Forsberg in a couple years time. May as well maximize his return now, while he has an extra year left on his deal.

Engvall + Dermott + 2021 1st rounder + 2022 1st rounder

for

Filip Forsberg (50% retained)

Its a heavy price, but This would give the Leafs 2 years with Forsberg, and this year they are not at risk of that 1st being lottery, and likely will not be the case next year either. Dermott will be sad to see go, but he is susceptible to expansion after this year any way, and we may end up losing him for nothing. Engvall is a useful, cheap player but is really no risk to lose. He is there to make the money work.

I honestly have no clue if that is too much, too little. But that is what I'd be prepared to lead with. Certainly would not include any of the 3 robby, sandy, lilly

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I really think Forsberg is the only player worth our time. Im curious if a deal could be had with retention. I think given that this is the best chance the leafs have at a Stanley Cup maybe ever, now might be the time to off load the 1st rounders. I would NOT move any of our high prospects (Robby, Lilly, Sandy). They project to be big parts of our future and are far more a guarantee than late 1st round picks. Also, having Filip for 2 years is not all that dissimilar to when we acquired Muzz from the kings a couple years back. Obviously Muzz was not at the caliber then as Forsberg is now. But KD will likely not give up a kings ransom for only 1 playoff run. Forsberg w/ retention actually makes a ton of sense. I am really not a huge fan of getting rid of first rounders. But this really is the time to strike. Nashville will need to do a modified retool soon. They have an ugly contract with Duchene and kinda ugly Johhanson deal, and despite their popularity in Nashville, I suspect they are still very much a gate driven organization. As most are in the USA. Leading me to believe they will likely not be in a position to resign Forsberg in a couple years time. May as well maximize his return now, while he has an extra year left on his deal.

Engvall + Dermott + 2021 1st rounder + 2022 1st rounder

for

Filip Forsberg (50% retained)

Its a heavy price, but This would give the Leafs 2 years with Forsberg, and this year they are not at risk of that 1st being lottery, and likely will not be the case next year either. Dermott will be sad to see go, but he is susceptible to expansion after this year any way, and we may end up losing him for nothing. Engvall is a useful, cheap player but is really no risk to lose. He is there to make the money work.

I honestly have no clue if that is too much, too little. But that is what I'd be prepared to lead with. Certainly would not include any of the 3 robby, sandy, lilly

You are not getting Forsberg if it is not going to hurt. You are offering little and are asking Poile to retain 50%. Would be nice but I can't see it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I have to imagine, it would cost 1 of our big 4 prospects, or a better roster player + 1st. Two firsts might be enticing, though.

Would you trade Nylander for a 4th liner, a bottom pair dman and 2 late firsts (especially if one of those drafts is projected to be weak?).

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Would you trade Nylander for a 4th liner, a bottom pair dman and 2 late firsts (especially if one of those drafts is projected to be weak?).
I see where you are coming from totally. Not saying my proposal would get it done. What I am saying is there is a ok to good chance Fillip walks in 2022 to UFA. He turns 27 this year, Nylander turns 25. Willy is locked in for 3 more years after this season, Filip is for only 1 more. As great of a player as Forsberg is, his value is not the same as 4 years of willy. I think Forsberg is the better player, but ask me that question in 3 years. to answer your original question (that was not asked to me lol) No i would not trade willy for 2 1st's a bottom pairing D-man and a 4th liner. But I do think Nashville is in a far different situation than us, and would have to look at the 2 1st round picks and a promising young player in dermott and at least begin a negotiation. That has to be at least a starting point in my mind

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he only had 1.5 years left and we weren’t contending, I think I would at least be interested. I would probably want Amirov, though.

I see where you are coming from totally. Not saying my proposal would get it done. What I am saying is there is a ok to good chance Fillip walks in 2022 to UFA. He turns 27 this year, Nylander turns 25. Willy is locked in for 3 more years after this season, Filip is for only 1 more. As great of a player as Forsberg is, his value is not the same as 4 years of willy. I think Forsberg is the better player, but ask me that question in 3 years. to answer your original question (that was not asked to me lol) No i would not trade willy for 2 1st's a bottom pairing D-man and a 4th liner. But I do think Nashville is in a far different situation than us, and would have to look at the 2 1st round picks and a promising young player in dermott and at least begin a negotiation. That has to be at least a starting point in my mind

Both of you make valid points but don't forget you are also asking the Preds to pay 50% of Forsberg's salary so you can fit him in for two years. Without that, Leafs have to move Kerfoot and his cap hit and thus are not as strong.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs 2015: Why is Bozak our 1C, why can't we get a legitimate Ontario-born 1st/2nd overall level C?
Leafs 2021: We ran into some short-term bottom-6 injuries, better get a 5th Ontario-born 1st/2nd overall C just in case.

Maybe Engvall, Vesey and a 2nd for Staal retained at 50%?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Both of you make valid points but don't forget you are also asking the Preds to pay 50% of Forsberg's salary so you can fit him in for two years. Without that, Leafs have to move Kerfoot and his cap hit and thus are not as strong.
Oh I am quite willing to move Kerfoot to make a deal happen. In fact I would consider that to be worse for Nashville, as I'd imagine the goal on their end would be to save on operating cost. But ya Forsberg at 50% is no joke, and will likely cost us a pretty penny. I just think 2x 1st round picks are seldom used in trades, as they rightfully hold so much value. Its an attractive option also for a team that may want to cut operating costs a bit during a pandemic while still adding to their depth, albeit draft capital that would take some time to mature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad