Trades and Free Agency 2021 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I think we'll move on from Kerfoot in the off-season but if Dubas can get out from under that contract now you pull the trigger. There's no guarantee Seattle choose Kerfoot in the draft.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This article suggests leafs trading Kerfoot for Haula & Granlund.

What does everyone think of that swap? Seems to make sense when Pagnotta broke it down.

Bringing in two NHLers while trading away only one would be an upgrade. He suggests NSH could retain salary (he didn't mention what else could be going out with Kerfoot?). The downside would be that Granlund and Haula are both pending UFAs while Kerfoot would still be under contract. A player from the Leafs will still be lost to expansion. I can see both sides here.

Reactions: ToneDog

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This article suggests leafs trading Kerfoot for Haula & Granlund.

What does everyone think of that swap? Seems to make sense when Pagnotta broke it down.

Great for us, makes no sense for Nashville. They could trade both players separately and fetch more of a return than Kerfoot.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bringing in two NHLers while trading away only one would be an upgrade. He suggests NSH could retain salary (he didn't mention what else could be going out with Kerfoot?). The downside would be that Granlund and Haula are both pending UFAs while Kerfoot would still be under contract. A player from the Leafs will still be lost to expansion. I can see both sides here.

We took a haircut to clear AJ's cap space and AJ was a better winger than Kerfoot. Gladly move Kerfoot and his cap hit for two decent players who's cap hits will also disappear.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Great for us, makes no sense for Nashville. They could trade both players separately and fetch more of a return than Kerfoot.

Trading pending UFAs Granlund and Haula individually likely nets only futures in return. Kerfoot is already an NHL player. Retaining salary could bring them a pick or prospect as well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We took a haircut to clear AJ's cap space and AJ was a better winger than Kerfoot. Gladly move Kerfoot and his cap hit for two decent players who's cap hits will also disappear.

Such a trade should definitely help for a run this season. Trading away Kerfoot potentially makes it more likely that Seattle looks to snag a defender from us (Dermott?) in expansion though.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Trading pending UFAs Granlund and Haula individually likely nets only futures in return. Kerfoot is already an NHL player. Retaining salary could bring them a pick or prospect as well.
Nashville should only be interested in futures though

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Kerfoot fills a roster spot for Nasvhille, they're apparently ready to fire sale. They should be stocking picks.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kerfoot fills a roster spot for Nasvhille, they're apparently ready to fire sale. They should be stocking picks.

Maybe. Josi (NMC, I know) and Ellis would probably net quite the returns but are apparently regarded as "untouchable".

I think STL made noise about making changes during the season they emerged as Cup champs. Definitely a longshot to happen once, let alone twice. Perhaps Nashville is trying to light a fire under their current group?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe. Josi (NMC, I know) and Ellis would probably net quite the returns but are apparently regarded as "untouchable".

I think STL made noise about making changes during the season they emerged as Cup champs. Definitely a longshot to happen once, let alone twice. Perhaps Nashville is trying to light a fire under their current group?

Every team seems to have one or two untouchables regardless of what direction the franchise is going. I wouldn't read too much into that, either way if Nashville is indeed going for a retool instead I don't really see that Kerfoot is a guy to get things going.

Reactions: Buds17

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
TDL is going to be really interesting this year because of the two-week quarantine for players going across the border.

Probably see a lot of early action from Canadian teams.

There will still be last second trades as usual, but I do think we'll get some trades mid-March.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This next offseason will be similar to this one IMO. Lots of good players whos contracts are coming up in an offseason where owners have no cap space, and are coming off loosing a ton of money.

A lot of middle/ upper middle talents will be squeezed by the lack of money and cap staying flat.
With the 3.5m going out, you can probably sign a bigger impact C on a short term deal.
Its super early, but some decent names that could fall into that - 3.5m range.
Copp? Lowry, Wennberg? Statsny? Danault? Granlund? Stall?
Heck maybe even Getzlaf if he wants to take another run at the cup on a cheap deal (he will be 37, and could replace Jumbo Joe as another grandpa in the room) would make a good amount of sense.

My point being there are a few guys on the Leafs I could see them moving on from to save some cash, so they can afford Hyman, Dermott and whoever their goalie ends up being (Im assuming the Leafs will look into guys like Grubauer, Mrazec, Ullmark etc)

**Side note** The Leafs STILL have 1.2m next year against the cap on the Kessel deal. Insane! **

Reactions: geo25 and Buds17

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Not sure why people are calling for Nylander or Robertson to be moved in a Rackell trade...

To Ducks
Pierre Engvall
Rodion Amirov
Draft Pick

To Leafs
Rickard Rackell, retained to match Engvall's salary.

To Sabers
Draft Pick
Prospect

To Leafs
Eric Staal, retained as neccessary

Thornton / Matthews / Marner
Nylander / Tavares / Rackell
Kerfoot / Staal / Mikheyev
Robertson or Galchenyuk / Spezza / Simmonds
Boyd

Go compete for the Stanley Cup.

Can't be done. Rackell is signed at 3.8M, they could hold half and he's still .6M more than Engvall. Mind you, I shouldn't say 'can't', I've no idea what wizardry Pridham can conjure up.
It would, however, make the second deal even more difficult as Staal would come in at 1.75M after 50% retained. Currently, we've 45k to work with.

I am curious, I haven't seen the Ducks this year. Stat watching only, Rackell doesn't appear to be having a good year. Is his play falling off or is it the team?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only "good" thing about these recent injuries is that it gave the Leafs a chance to test some of their depth players in bigger roles. I think some have done well but it has shown some concern.

If it wasn't clear before, it's definitely clear now the Leafs need to add a top 9 forward. I would say Eric Staal or Granlund would make a lot of sense, especially the former. He would bolster our top 9 quite a bit and he's still very capable of putting up 50+ points.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I really couldn't give up Robertson unless the player has at least 2 more years past this year. 1.5 years plus expansion protection is not enough for me to give up Robertson. I want multiple cracks at a Cup.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The only "good" thing about these recent injuries is that it gave the Leafs a chance to test some of their depth players in bigger roles. I think some have done well but it has shown some concern.

If it wasn't clear before, it's definitely clear now the Leafs need to add a top 9 forward. I would say Eric Staal or Granlund would make a lot of sense, especially the former. He would bolster our top 9 quite a bit and he's still very capable of putting up 50+ points.

Does Staal still get his +50% production boost in Toronto if it's home ice for him?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am curious, I haven't seen the Ducks this year. Stat watching only, Rackell doesn't appear to be having a good year. Is his play falling off or is it the team?
Tire fire of a team offensively. Least amount of goals in the league.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Haula would be a lot cheaper to acquire and on the cap than Granlund. I'd be interested in a potential Haula+Benning deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad